Teddy Allen - Man or Boy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by motowneer View Post
    Mountaineer fan here. Most of us were sad to see Teddy go because he does have huge upside. He has an absolute knack for scoring. His jump shot needs a ton of work so his game was really limited mid range and in. He's not the most athletic so he seemed to struggle against teams that had athletic defenders that were bigger/stronger than him (see all the WVU games vs Baylor last year) Teddy has never seen a shot he doesn't like so that sometimes got him in trouble with the staff.

His biggest issue at WVU was his attitude. Hopefully another college/coach can take that out of him. There were a couple pretty notable incidents last year....he physically pushed a coach and told him to suck his **** during practice. There was also another issue where he slapped away the hand of the same coach on the bench during a game. There have also been rumors that he has some personal issues going on in Morgantown that were also distractions.

Hopefully the kid can get his head on straight, because the potential for him to be the leading scorer is there....
    I'm not going to downplay this alleged incident as a non issue. Nor am I saying it's not a red flag. I'm sure 3G required a thorough explanation, and is satisfied Buckets won't be a chemistry problem here.

That said....I don't know how many here have played a competitive sport at the scholarship level, but for those who have they aren't going to see this as a deal breaker. Keep in mind these kids and their success or lack there of determines if coaches continue getting a pay check. It's a tense and heated environment. Players occassionally fight, and suprising to some, coaches and players go at it occassionally - generally this is limited to verbal assaults back and forth, but I've seen and heard much worse than a shove and suck my ****. Again, in no way am I condoning or saying this isn't a concern. Just that it happens and doesn't tell me much without more info.

Were his actions directed towards a senior staff member, or a young 1st year assistant who also picks up the dirty laundry after practice? In my expierence, assistant coaches (especially young ones) are eager to prove themselves. This isn't always received well by players.

Within a locker room respect is not given based on title, it is earned based on two simple things - toughness and trust. That goes for players, coaches, etc. There's a clear hierarchy within a locker room and on a coaching staff. Practices can be immensely intense, both physically and mentally. If an assistant who hasn't earned the players respect says or does the wrong thing, no doubt that situation can and will get chippy real quick.

Comment

His defense wasn't great. Good coaches did a pretty good job of exploiting him in the half court. It surprised me that he chose Wichita State considering they emphasize defense as much as Huggins.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
        Most kids are smart enough to realize when you get a second chance... You don't f@ck it up... So we will see if he is smart enough to realize this otherwise the rabbithole will just get deeper for him in life
        Unfortunately, too many hold on to the primadonna attitude as well. Hope he's in the former group.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

Were his actions directed towards a senior staff member, or a young 1st year assistant who also picks up the dirty laundry after practice? In my expierence, assistant coaches (especially young ones) are eager to prove themselves. This isn't always received well by players.

Within a locker room respect is not given based on title, it is earned based on two simple things - toughness and trust. That goes for players, coaches, etc. There's a clear hierarchy within a locker room and on a coaching staff. Practices can be immensely intense, both physically and mentally. If an assistant who hasn't earned the players respect says or does the wrong thing, no doubt that situation can and will get chippy real quick.

The coach that was on the receiving end, allegedly, was Coach Harrison, a vet....https://wvusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=49&path=mbball

Comment

You don’t go to school at boystown for being an alter boy. I’m sure he’s had a tough life growing up and he was a freshman last year. If Marshall saw enough to give him a scolly I’ll trust he will do just fine for WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by motowneer View Post
              Mountaineer fan here. Most of us were sad to see Teddy go because he does have huge upside. He has an absolute knack for scoring. His jump shot needs a ton of work so his game was really limited mid range and in. He's not the most athletic so he seemed to struggle against teams that had athletic defenders that were bigger/stronger than him (see all the WVU games vs Baylor last year) Teddy has never seen a shot he doesn't like so that sometimes got him in trouble with the staff.

His biggest issue at WVU was his attitude. Hopefully another college/coach can take that out of him. There were a couple pretty notable incidents last year....he physically pushed a coach and told him to suck his **** during practice. There was also another issue where he slapped away the hand of the same coach on the bench during a game. There have also been rumors that he has some personal issues going on in Morgantown that were also distractions.

Hopefully the kid can get his head on straight, because the potential for him to be the leading scorer is there....
              LoL! He tries that with Marshall he'll get his block knocked off. Which of course the snowflakes will then crucify him for. "T Sauce" may turn out to be 3G's Kryptonite. I hope that's not the case...

This kid sounds like the prototypical Silo-Tech recruit. He'd also do very well for the Omaha BJ. But he's ours now.

If I were Marshall I would give him exactly one chance. One chance...

T

...:cool:

Comment

With the load of newbies coming in Summer is going to be very interesting. There are some big egos arriving hoping to carve out their place. Next year is gonna be crazy.

Comment

Count me as incredibly excited to get a kid with a little attitude. Not saying we were soft last year, but a little edge might be a good thing. Added bonus is he'll get a year in the program to sit and watch, grow and learn. Coach has said from get-go that he likes "basket-makers". I think Teddy qualifies in that regard.

Comment

I think GGG musta got tired of trying to fire up his team and decided to recruit quite a few he might need a fire extinguisher for? He's going to certainly earn that money next year and might even earn a few new gray hairs. It's too bad they can't do a summer tour this year but I'm sure they can find some kind of things to do to get to know one another.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53 View Post
                      Count me as incredibly excited to get a kid with a little attitude. Not saying we were soft last year, but a little edge might be a good thing. Added bonus is he'll get a year in the program to sit and watch, grow and learn. Coach has said from get-go that he likes "basket-makers". I think Teddy qualifies in that regard.
                      We WERE soft. How many AAC teams would you have taken money that our guys would have beaten in a street fight? Who on last year's team would have stood a chance against Tekele Cotton, Fred Van Vleet, Evan Wessel or Jamar Howard in a scrap? I'm not talking about recruiting "thugs," to use a loaded term, but we need some motherf***ers that when the shi* goes down they are fired up rather than looking for a ref or coach to bail them out. Houston pushed us around like we were fu***ing Drake last year. I'd rather have a few kids wear their emotions on their sleeves and if it goes too far and they have to come back and apologize sometimes, that's OK. Shed some blood, sweat and tears. Actually enjoy winning and absolutely hate losing. Show some f***ing heart out there.

That was more of a rant, than I intended, but that was our season last year in a nutshell. A bunch of p***ies that couldn't beat anyone we didn't overwhelm with talent or 3 pointers.
                      ​​​
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like the way you talk.

T

• ABC
                        ABC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore.

• Bluzrover
                        Bluzrover commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Anybody remember 3G's outburst that got him kicked out of an exhibition game not too long ago? I do. I'm not sure he had anybody on last year's team that was capable of that kind of fired up emotion. Perhaps he has a few of those now.

Yes, this summer's pick up games are going to be dicey. Here's hoping Taylor can sneak in to a few of those and report on who's taking charge.

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

We WERE soft. How many AAC teams would you have taken money that our guys would have beaten in a street fight? Who on last year's team would have stood a chance against Tekele Cotton, Fred Van Vleet, Evan Wessel or Jamar Howard in a scrap? I'm not talking about recruiting "thugs," to use a loaded term, but we need some motherf***ers that when the shi* goes down they are fired up rather than looking for a ref or coach to bail them out. Houston pushed us around like we were fu***ing Drake last year. I'd rather have a few kids wear their emotions on their sleeves and if it goes too far and they have to come back and apologize sometimes, that's OK. Shed some blood, sweat and tears. Actually enjoy winning and absolutely hate losing. Show some f***ing heart out there.

That was more of a rant, than I intended, but that was our season last year in a nutshell. A bunch of p***ies that couldn't beat anyone we didn't overwhelm with talent or 3 pointers.
                      ​​​
                      What did you say when Gregg motivated the team on that Canada trip?
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• BOBB
                        BOBB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        He acted like a jackass and embarrassed himself and the university. He owed an apology. He is also 50-something not eighteen.

Edit: I also think that his display was unlikely to develop any backbone in the players that were getting more than they were giving. He would have been better served calling a time out and asking if any of them had packed their nuts on the trip or left them back in the ICT.

• Topshock
                        Topshock commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I said it might be the turning point for the upcoming season and I think it very well may have been.

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

​​​
                      Not to forget multiple occasions when players had migraines leading to missed games and missed practices. I don't recall ever seeing one time when a player phoned it in because of a headache. One time.

Comment

• BOBB
                        BOBB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am trying to imagine Fred calling in with a headache. Requires a higher suspension of disbelief than watching the Walking Dead.

• Aargh
                        Aargh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If Fred, Ron, Tekele, or Evan would have had a headache, someone would have been sharing that experience about 10 minutes into practice, and it wouldn't have been the coaches.

Just watched his K-State highlights. Old school kind of game, a finisher around the basket, plays below the rim, gets his shot up quick and knows how to use his body. Also he clearly likes to play rough, a 6'5" non-leaper that bangs. On one play in those highlights he flashed good anticipation on defense. Announcers kept saying he doesn't play like a freshman.
                      So he'll have a year to sit out here and learn the expectations. If he can avoid the trouble he got into at WVU, could be a real solid player for us. Likely a 3 year starter.
                      Remember, HCGM requires total buy-in. Total. If he can't do that in the year he sits out he can move on to somewhere else. It will be his choice.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I like players who don't play like freshmen. They usually end up becoming special. We had two like that a while back...

I'd put money on Erik S. being our third.

T

Wanna know what's really depressing??............It's still another half a year until basketball season starts...........ughhh.

Comment

Teddy dunkin'

Teddy's younger brother Timmy (I'm serious) dunkin'

Teddy ballin'

I'm gonna have to admit... the boy's good.

Let's sign Timmy too!

T

Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; May 10, 2018, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Jhook89
                          Jhook89 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          LOL I can not get over Teddy's vertical. It is comical how terrible it is. He looks pretty damn good with the ball in his hands. His ability to drive through traffic and finish is really impressive. But then he jumps and it makes no sense lol. You see him weaving in and out of defenders and playing through contact and you are thinking to yourself, man this guy looks pretty athletic for 6'5', but then he jumps and gets exactly 2" off the ground lol. If this guy can work on his explosiveness and shooting he could be a monster.

• C0|dB|00ded
                          C0|dB|00ded commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, I used to think the same. He's just lazy. Direct your attention to the :34 mark of the video for proof his vertical exceeds 2 inches.

T

• Bluzrover
                          Bluzrover commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There are reports that AM has been working on his mediocre vertical with KR and there has been great progress. Teddy Buckets gets a full year with KR. Imagine the possibilities.
                      Working...
                      X