2018 General NCAA Tournament Games Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
    UNI fans logic...."Loyola won more games then the American combined, therefore the MVC is better then the AAC"
    And this is what 9th place Valley teams are left to cheer for. Talk about irrelevant.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I REALLY want to root for Loyola, but Muller and some MVC fans are making it very hard to do so.

It's obvious this is their 15 minutes of fame before they finally sputter away into obscurity as a one bid league with a perennial 13 seed (see also: CAA since 2006). So maybe I'll let them have their moment one last time. And it's Loyola, who has a likable coach and like 3 total fans--not like Illinois State that has tens or hundreds of obnoxious dimwit fans to go along with their insufferable coach. But if Loyola wins, MVC fans from every team (and probably some school administration) will be intolerable for at least the next year.

On the other hand, K-State is a school from our own state that refuses to play us and has delusions that their program is somehow better than ours, and going to a F4 will only make them more delusional.

It's like a giant douche versus a turd sandwich. I feel like I'm voting for president or something.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• shoxlax
        shoxlax commented
        Editing a comment
        Alright that last line deserves HOF consideration, although the entire post was brilliant.

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
      I REALLY want to root for Loyola, but Muller and some MVC fans are making it very hard to do so.

It's obvious this is their 15 minutes of fame before they finally sputter away into obscurity as a one bid league with a perennial 13 seed (see also: CAA since 2006). So maybe I'll let them have their moment one last time. And it's Loyola, who has a likable coach and like 3 total fans--not like Illinois State that has tens or hundreds of obnoxious dimwit fans to go along with their insufferable coach. But if Loyola wins, MVC fans from every team (and probably some school administration) will be intolerable for at least the next year.

On the other hand, K-State is a school from our own state that refuses to play us and has delusions that their program is somehow better than ours, and going to a F4 will only make them more delusional.

It's like a giant douche versus a turd sandwich. I feel like I'm voting for president or something.
      I'm rooting for K-State ... why? Because Weber undoubtedly will keep KSU mediocre. A Final Four run for him means they will give him a lifetime contract, only to never make it back there again.

Comment

• One way to look at the Loyola-KSU game is through the Creighton lens.

The further Loyola - as CU's replacement - goes, the more it should pain the Bluejay fans that they can't get out of the first weekend, compounded by the Ramblers beating the team that knocked them out in the first round.

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
          Rocky Mountain Shock commented
          Editing a comment
          That is an excellent point and it might just be the deciding factor for me.

• This is all history repeating itself. After Creighton left and their fans trashed the Valley, we went 35-1 and the Valley fans (including some of ours) rained **** the Boojays (who made their usual one day stay at the dance) that the Valley had the last laugh. Guess what? Our going 35-1 and Loyola reaching the Elite Eight this year has nothing to do with the fact the league still sucks, shits their pants during non conference play and has basketball budgets lower than some prep schools. We were/are simply dominant in a one bid league. But Loyola defends the cess pool because they are relatively new and have had zero success in the league until now. They still have a low budget program with a HS gym. Had they lost in the league tournament and played in the NIT they wouldn’t be so benevolent to the Drakes and Evansville’s of the world—in fact ask Rambler fan if they were offered the opportunity to switch leagues with DePaul even up next week and see how much their under appreciated league means to them.

Comment

• Question for the NCAA Tournament gurus.

Has a 5-or-lower seed (e.g. K-State) ever advanced to the Final Four before without having to at least beat one 4-or-higher seed? Doesn't K-State's potential path to the Final Four seem ridiculously easy relative to almost any other Final Four competitor in recent memory? I say "potential" because they obviously have to get past Loyola. But assuming they do, when you look at that slew of games to arrive at the F4, it doesn't make you go "wow" they were really impressive.

Doesn't Kenpom or one of the metrics gurus have some stats around the relative paths to the Final Four?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Kung Wu
            Kung Wu commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, I wasn't aware that that was the case. That would answer that question. Crazy!

• jdshock
            jdshock commented
            Editing a comment
            jdmee - that doesn't necessarily mean the 5 seed had to play them in the other years. Hypothetically, if the 2 seed made it to the Sweet 16 (as the only top 4 seed to make the Sweet 16) but lost, the 5 seed would still dodge playing any of the top 4 seeds.

I imagine it hasn't happened, but don't have proof, though.

• jdmee
            jdmee commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct. I didn't think of that.

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Question for the NCAA Tournament gurus.

Has a 5-or-lower seed (e.g. K-State) ever advanced to the Final Four before without having to at least beat one 4-or-higher seed? Doesn't K-State's potential path to the Final Four seem ridiculously easy relative to almost any other Final Four competitor in recent memory? I say "potential" because they obviously have to get past Loyola. But assuming they do, when you look at that slew of games to arrive at the F4, it doesn't make you go "wow" they were really impressive.

Doesn't Kenpom or one of the metrics gurus have some stats around the relative paths to the Final Four?
          Hasn't been updated in a while, that I know of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

https://kenpom.com/blog/final-four-p...wichita-state/
            Seems like there is a good chance that a 9 seed(!) is going to crack the top 10 most easy.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              You think KState, without Wade, is going to beat Loyola? I'm much less confident based on what I've seen.

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              I have no clue, I don't follow K-State or KU and didn't catch the game last night. I am just saying there is a good "chance" but that's just based on seedings between K-State and LoChic. I will admit that I am going to try and catch my first KU game this season tonight. Or is that too obvious?

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            LOLoyola is definitely a one-hit wonder. They'll be a mid pack Valley team next year and will never be heard from again. Some idiot might actually hire Moser out of there this year. LOLoyola vs. K-State? Gotta root for K-State unfortunately. Dan Muller absolutely ruined any Valley sympathy I had for the rest of eternity. He is afterall the reason Loyola is in the Elite 8. Nope. Screw that.
            Personally, I think it is wonderful to see MVC teams doing well while Dan is on the couch.

Comment

• Jamar Howard 4 President
              Jamar Howard 4 President commented
              Editing a comment
              I mean, seriously. Creighton. Gone. WSU. Gone. And Dan is still watching on TV.

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Question for the NCAA Tournament gurus.

I do know they are the only 8 or 9 seed to not have to play a #1 seed. That right there should pretty much make their path the easiest 8/9 path in history.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              8/9 path for sure. But I am thinking their run might be one of the easiest regardless of their own seed.

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            This is all history repeating itself. After Creighton left and their fans trashed the Valley, we went 35-1 and the Valley fans (including some of ours) rained **** the Boojays (who made their usual one day stay at the dance) that the Valley had the last laugh. Guess what? Our going 35-1 and Loyola reaching the Elite Eight this year has nothing to do with the fact the league still sucks, shits their pants during non conference play and has basketball budgets lower than some prep schools. We were/are simply dominant in a one bid league. But Loyola defends the cess pool because they are relatively new and have had zero success in the league until now. They still have a low budget program with a HS gym. Had they lost in the league tournament and played in the NIT they wouldn’t be so benevolent to the Drakes and Evansville’s of the world—in fact ask Rambler fan if they were offered the opportunity to switch leagues with DePaul even up next week and see how much their under appreciated league means to them.
            Exactly. Nobody outside of WSU and Creighton were able to sustain success and remain nationally relevant.

UNI fans were sure UNI was going to take over and dominate and they have been irrelevant the last two years, including a cellar year this year. Redturd fans were all excited because they rose up last year and won same games (still didn’t make the dance lol) and thought this was the beginning of their dominance. Result: .500 record and no postseason. Now Loyola fans I’m sure will clamor that they’re on the map, but will they sustain it? Of course not. WSU and CU both proved they continued to succeed with different classes of players. Once Loyola loses some of their magic this year, they’ll be irrelevant just like the rest of them.

Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• jazztrane
              jazztrane commented
              Editing a comment
              And if they do sustain success they'll move on from the Valley. :)

• Its kind of ironic KSU has beaten 16, 8 and 5 seeds, while KU has beaten 16 and 8 and play a 5 tonight. If KU complains of KSU's "easier" path to the Elite 8 its only because they're entitled to it and not anyone else!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

https://kenpom.com/blog/final-four-p...wichita-state/
            compare that to kstates 8-16-5-11 path. It's mind boggling how the stars have aligned.

Comment

• Cdizzle
              Cdizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. Can't fault KState though. They are just playing who is in front of them. Also, to be fair, Loyola is a fairly strong 11.

• While the MVC seems destined to be a one bid league, Loyola may be ready to assume our spot as the dominant team in the league. They have a good recruiting class coming in this fall including a 4 star power forward This run should do nothing but help future recruiting.

Comment

• KState has had a relatively easy path, but not easier than most 1s or 2s. And FAR from the easiest path in existence, at least so far. That dubious honors goes to 2016 Syracuse, the luckiest team in the 100 years of the sport. They literally should not have been in the tournament (worst RPI by about 15 points to make it), and rewarded with a 10 seed, presumably because the committee got extremely drunk and started looking at the wrong sheet.

They started off with 7 seed Dayton, whose KenPom score was closer to a 13 seed. Then they lucked out thanks to 15 seed Middle Tennessee knocking off Michigan State, letting them play versus the 119th best team in the country. And in the Sweet Sixteen, yep still wearing white thanks to 11 seed Gonzaga's run. That is a combined seed of 33 to the Elite 8, compared to KState's 29 or a normal one seeds 28-30.

For the record, that year we had an RPI half of Syracuse's and a KenPom score 20 ranks higher. We played a play-in game against the #25 KenPom team (11 seed), then a Round of 64 vs the #19 KenPom team (6 seed), then lost in the Round of 32 to the #15 KenPom team (3 seed). Our route to the Sweet 16 was far harder than Syracuse's route to the Elite 8.

And if we would have continued we'd have played the best team in the tournament in the Sweet Sixteen (2 seed Villanova) and then played the third best team (1 seed KU) to go to the Final Four. Our total seed path in the tournament (not counting play-in) would be 12, Syracuse's 34. Our total KenPom would be 38, Syracuse 205.

Meanwhile, most 1 seed paths are pretty pathetic, with the exception of the South region in 2014, where our KenPom path after game 1 was 13 > 1 > 12. For comparison, after KU advanced to the Round of 32 they played 18, 39, 53 or a seed path of 47 (16, 9, 12, 11). Far and away easier than KState.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Didn't Syracuse have to beat a 1 seed to get to the Final Four?!
            Working...
            X