Official 2018 Coaching Changes Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    hmmmm.... no idea if true .. but doesn't look like a fake account...

Hate to see this. Liked Mack and Xavier. He grew up around Cincy, played at Xavier, assistant coach there, and head coach in his home town. I'm guessing Louisville offering huge, huge bucks to pull him away.

Comment

• ShockTalk
      ShockTalk commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take a stab. $3.5 mill, 7 years (with not knowing what trouble Louisville may be in). Surprised if it's less.

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Louisville is still in the area, so it isn't much of a change geographically. Quite a change in some other respects, though.

• wushock27
      wushock27 commented
      Editing a comment
      His wife is from Louisville, and went to school here as well...I expect it to happen. And Kent Taylor is the Sports guy for Wave3 news here...not a fake account

• Does this article make one think that Mack's current contract is back loaded? See about 2/3s the way down the article.

Comment

• If X was paying Mack only $1.6 million, they were getting a steal.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Hovering around the top 5 salaries now.

• Xavier is a pretty damn good job, especially for an alumnus.

I don’t see Louisville being that much of a better job, IMO.

The money though... Damn.
        The Assman

Comment

• Wonder if Xavier could have avoided this by simply compensating Mack at market value. He was embarrassingly low paid based on his results, and the level of program Xavier thinks itself to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            Wonder if Xavier could have avoided this by simply compensating Mack at market value. He was embarrassingly low paid based on his results, and the level of program Xavier thinks itself to be.
            The article I referred to above made a mention that Mack would be making $3 mill plus in 2 years at Xavier (assuming I read it right). That's why I made my minimum guess of $3.5 mill, 7 years.

Comment

• I think some are getting too hung up on possible future sanctions. Louisville is still a blue blood. I predict Mack will have them back online within 4 years. Xavier is a great program but this was a no brainer.

Comment

• I wouldn't have said this a few years ago, but Gregg should be here a long time.

I was concerned about Florida before they hired Mike White at only $2mm/yr.

Louisville was another that looked like a good fit. But then Pitino did what Pitino does, and bent it over a table. They're lucky to get a good coach that is willing to wade through the mess.

Duke, UNC, Kentucky, KU? I don't see it.

The rest of the good P5 jobs don't pay any better than WSU.

Maybe this and the AAC will nicely bump our recruiting.
              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                I think some are getting too hung up on possible future sanctions. Louisville is still a blue blood. I predict Mack will have them back online within 4 years. Xavier is a great program but this was a no brainer.
                I'm not buying the claim that Louisville is a blue blood. Although the definition of that term varies depending on who you ask, I think most people would agree Louisville is not on that list. I'd personally place them on the next tier, with Michigan State, UConn, Arizona, and perhaps Villanova. While the NCAA has demonstrated an obvious unwillingness to sanction its biggest basketball brands, it hasn't extended that unwillingness to non-blue bloods.

Just recently, the NCAA denied Louisville's appeal to the sanctions related to the hooker scandal. Louisville had even self imposed some sanctions, including a post season ban and restrictions on scholarships and recruiting. Still, the NCAA forced them to vacate the title and three years of wins in a very public war of words. If the allegations are true that Louisville ignored its probation and violated not only NCAA rules but federal law in recruiting (the same area they just received sanctions for), I could see a situation where the NCAA makes an example out of Louisville and protects the likes of UNC/Kentucky/KU/etc. I'm not saying death penalty, because I doubt that ever gets used again, but multiyear postseason bans and scholarship restrictions so severe they effectively make it a UL club sport wouldn't surprise me.

But it will take time for the federal case to make its way through the court system, and then more time before the NCAA does anything about it. By then, Mack will have made millions and is enjoying early retirement on a beach somewhere.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• If Louisville is not a blueblood, then that blueblood list is only about 5 or 6 long

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                    I was concerned about Florida before they hired Mike White at only $2mm/yr.
                    Florida’s problem when making this hire was that Billy Donovan left so late in the recruiting season. June or maybe even July, I believe. They couldn’t get a big name that late in the process. Had they promoted an assistant as an interim for the year, they could have hired a big name the following offseason...and I wouldn’t have surprised to see Gregg be that guy.

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      If Louisville is not a blueblood, then that blueblood list is only about 5 or 6 long
                      I think most people's perception of a blue blood list is actually about that long.

Comment

• pinstripers
                        pinstripers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        UK, KU, UNC, DOOK, ................LOUISVILLE, INDY, UCLA?

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Indy gets too much credit. They haven’t been relevant for quite some time.

• Just goes to show the big east is mid major and not part of the power6

Comment

• Blue bloods are basketball first schools with decades of consistent success and the willingness and resources to make the job a destination at any time:

UCLA, Indiana, KU, Kentucky, North Carolina

the next group appear to be blue bloods, but haven’t done it with multiple coaches:

Duke (probably will be a Blue blood after K retires), Michigan State, Arizona, UConn, Villanova, Louisville

Then there are football schools with the resources, but not always the will to be consistently great: Texas, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, USC
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                          Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pretty much nailed that

• 1979Shocker
                          1979Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would also add that blue bloods are schools that consistently get the top high school players.
                      Working...
                      X