No announcement yet.

Official 2018 Coaching Changes Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting post on Memphis' board - a Tweet from Jay Brenner, who is evidently a local sports radio host. He later deletes the comment on his Twitter feed stating, "I deleted a tweet related to Memphis recruiting/East High because I was unable to independently verify it. I should not have posted it in the first place. My apologies".

MemphisTigers.org: The #1 Board for Memphis Tigers sports on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
      Interesting post on Memphis' board - a Tweet from Jay Brenner, who is evidently a local sports radio host. He later deletes the comment on his Twitter feed stating, "I deleted a tweet related to Memphis recruiting/East High because I was unable to independently verify it. I should not have posted it in the first place. My apologies".

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845561-page-6.html
      Sounds like a possible violation waiting to happen if true. Is there a loophole that allows for someone to recruit (bait a release or de-commitment) if they haven’t “officially” been named HC yet?
      Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure, but Huggy Bear and Michael Beasley come to mind. However, Beasley had not yet signed an LOI so he was fair game. A player that signs a LOI can't be recruited from that point on. EVen if Penny is not yet officially the Memphis Coach he is certainly a booster and should not be tampering with players who have signed LOI's although I am not saying he is doing that.

• DJShocker10
        DJShocker10 commented
        Editing a comment
        One would definitely think it would at least raise some eyebrows with the NCAA.

Think about this, fellas:

Logically speaking, why did ALO sign in the fall if this coup has been in the works since last summer? Why didn’t he just give a soft commit and wait to see what happened with the Memphis coaching situation? Tells me he knew the potential landscape and signed with our program anyway in the fall.

Comment

Not that it is terribly relevant, but Evansville finally axed Marty.
        Evansville made it official at 10:07 a.m. Wednesday morning. Marty Simmons has been fired as men's basketball head coach after 11 seasons.

Comment

Jeff *******
          Verified account
          @GoodmanESPN
          20m20 minutes ago More

Jeff ******* Retweeted Frank Martin
          Hard to argue with this. I understand Tubby wasn’t doing what fans wanted in his brief tenure, but does it the right way and only had one recruiting class to prove himself. Didn’t inherit much. I am not saying he would have turned it, but 2 years isn’t enough time.

Comment

OK sorry to put in my two cents on this subject about Memphis and Penny. Does it really matter if Lomax does de-commits from us. I say no because Marshall has a way of finding a diamond in the rough. He will just go and find somebody that schools are overlooking. Another NBA player that flying below the radar. So don't be worried about some player. If we get him we get him if not there is someone out there that will fit our team.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Wu View Post
              OK sorry to put in my two cents on this subject about Memphis and Penny. Does it really matter if Lomax does de-commits from us. I say no because Marshall has a way of finding a diamond in the rough. He will just go and find somebody that schools are overlooking. Another NBA player that flying below the radar. So don't be worried about some player. If we get him we get him if not there is someone out there that will fit our team.
              You understand Lomax is the best in our class this year right?

Comment

• shocker43
                shocker43 commented
                Editing a comment
                And maybe the best Marshall recruit...

Good Lord. Stop it with the ALo paranoia. It's infesting unrelated threads now. Some people have forgotten to take their meds.
              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly right, RMS -- but that's how you can tell you're on ShockerNet.

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
              Think about this, fellas:

Logically speaking, why did ALO sign in the fall if this coup has been in the works since last summer? Why didn’t he just give a soft commit and wait to see what happened with the Memphis coaching situation? Tells me he knew the potential landscape and signed with our program anyway in the fall.

I was going to postvthe exact same thing. If it was in the works, why commit at all!

If ALo wants to become a better basketball and go to the NCAA tourney the odds are with WSU. If he wants to stay home and be with family, then decommit. Some kids want to get out and be away from the family. Who knows.

I would not blame HCGM if he blocked the release to Memphis. In conference foe, I don't think anyone would fault him, but I still think at the end of the day Alo is best as a Shocker, and for all we know, Penny is telling him the same thing.

BTW, I think Penny has a decent chancevat Memphis. Getting players is huge. If he can do that, the rest is much easier. You don't spend however many years in the NBA playing as well as he did and not learn a thing or 2 about the game.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

BTW, I think Penny has a decent chancevat Memphis. Getting players is huge. If he can do that, the rest is much easier. You don't spend however many years in the NBA playing as well as he did and not learn a thing or 2 about the game.
                I don't see any correlation in being an All American and NBA All Pro having a good career as a college basketball coach. See Isaiah Thomas and Clyde Drexler.

Comment

It better work out for Memphis. They just pushed all in and don't know what cards they hold for sure. If Penny fails Memphis is sunk for a very long time.
                  Go Shocks!

Comment

I seriously doubt we lose Lomax to Memphis. He would have to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility. LOI is legally binding.

"Provision 4 – Basic Penalty

If you sign an NLI and do not attend the school you may not go to another school and play for that school for one full year. You may receive a scholarship, but generally schools will not offer you a scholarship until you are eligible to play. In addition, you will lose one full year of eligibility in all sports. There are some cases where you can play right away with a release from the school you signed with; there is more on that process below."

Comment

I 100% believe that Memphis will have better recruiting the next two years.
                      ​​​​
                      Who believes they will be better in three or four years than if Forbes or Jans were running the show?

Not me.

Who do you think is happier that Texas fired Rick Barnes, Tennessee or Texas?
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Reading all this junk about Memphis certainly makes me appreciate GGG even more to be honest. He would never have fit at Memphis and I don't think at Alabama either but he fits Wichita. I simply fail to be able to visualize Marshall kissing butts for the sake of a paycheck. He'd be more apt to tell you to go back to your job of painting walls(or whatever you do to make insane amounts of money) and let HIM take care of the coaching. Tubby wasn't a good fit there either but I think he'll find a better spot if he wants it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post

http://csnbbs.com/thread-845561-page-6.html
                          In that thread some posters are speculating if the basketball program will have enough money left to sign Wiseman (5* post out of Memphis East) after they pay off Tubby. They're not joking. I believe Memphis fans want a coach who will cheat. I also think they believe Hardaway will turn Memphis into the next Kentucky.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• bunck
                            bunck commented
                            Editing a comment
                            They're just wanting to get back to the Calipari years.
                        Working...
                        X