FBI Corruption Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Have you encountered the real world before?

Also, it's beyond a little naive to pretend that the experience and exposure provided by WSU, the MVC, and the NCAA did not help lead to Mr. VanVleet making currently 100s of thousands of dollars per year, and soon millions of dollars per year.
    You mean the real world where if I were an outstanding in a field I could both work professionally if someone wanted to pay me, go to school, receive scholarships from said university, and support research projects in my field that generate them money all at the same time with no issue? Interesting.

Comment

• If it makes you feel any better, we’re in this with you. Justin Patton’s mom got her Taco Bell paid for. We will have to give back our normal amount of 2 February wins for the one season he played, and vacate the first round tournament drubbing at the hands of Rhode Island.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

I'm guessing you didn't have anyone offering to pay you for it either. I'm guessing no alumni or external company or agent actually wanted to give you money in school to get influence either.
        It's all a matter of what you ultimately want, and what you're willing to do to get it. I wanted the job and lifestyle provided by obtaining a degree. I chose to sacrifice years of earning in order to get that payoff. It was mutually beneficial to myself and the school. My experience was eventually beneficial to both myself and the school.

It's all about the risk/reward people are willing to take. If you are willing to break rules in order to benefit financially, you should not be surprised if that puts your legacy at risk.

Comment

• KmanTA commented

"I'm not saying these guys should be paid what their "worth." They are worth a lot. But if someone believes a scholarship, stipend and 3,000 is a big deal, they're wrong. With how much time they put into the game and keeping grades, how much time is left to work a part time job and make money that way. They should be able to make money in other ways so this stuff doesn't have to happen. The numbers I gave you are from one single year. Players should make more so they don't have to be tempted by $1,000 from an agent."

A full ride is a big deal. Those athletes on a full ride live a better life than I would say 90% of WSU students on the benefits side. Their stipend makes up for not having a job. So you would want Player 1 that is a stud to make like an extra $20,000 this year and Player 2 on the team nothing that gets a little PT? If an agent offers Player 1 another $100,000 wouldn't that be tempting and some would take it? Paying the athletes more wont stop the agents.

Comment

• We can argue over whether athletes should be paid or not, but I really just find it sad how quickly some are turning their back on Fred because of 3,000 bucks. Basketball aside, I saw how he treated kids compared to players of the past and how he treated and interacted with fans. Want a picture or autograph? He did it. Did he ever get in trouble with the law? No. Was it drug money? No. I guess no one has cheated on homework, ever been in trouble, gone 40 in a 35 or done something wrong. I guess we're all perfect people here and if someone offered you and your stepdad 3,000 bucks, you'd turn it down. There are no consequences to this yet, but we already jumping to conclusions.

Comment

• Originally posted by KmanTA View Post
              We can argue over whether athletes should be paid or not, but I really just find it sad how quickly some are turning their back on Fred because of 3,000 bucks. Basketball aside, I saw how he treated kids compared to players of the past and how he treated and interacted with fans. Want a picture or autograph? He did it. Did he ever get in trouble with the law? No. Was it drug money? No. I guess no one has cheated on homework, ever been in trouble, gone 40 in a 35 or done something wrong. I guess we're all perfect people here and if someone offered you and your stepdad 3,000 bucks, you'd turn it down. There are no consequences to this yet, but we already jumping to conclusions.
              I agree with you there. I am not mad at Fred. I like to think I wouldnt have done the same, but you never know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
                The case of Fred VanVleet: Even small-game hunting pays off for agents, so they'll never stop their pursuit https://theathletic.com/251263/2018/...their-pursuit/
                That didn't take long.

Comment

• I'd be surprised if Ron Baker was found accepting anything like this. Sure, Fred came from a tough neighborhood, but he should be a better role model than this. However, I'm more disappointed with his stepdad, a police officer who should be upholding the law and presenting a good example for others.
                  Last edited by 1979Shocker; February 23, 2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• 12eagle
                    12eagle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    His stepdad didn't break a law rather a rule big difference

• That article from the Atlantic said what I wanted to say a lot better. It's a culture that's been brewing for a long time. It's hard for me to place blame on the players. Sure, they aren't victims, but they aren't the aggressors in this.

Plus, I have a much bigger problem with schools/coaches paying players to GET them. In this case, Fred wasn't paid to come here. He was paid to choose an agent to get him to the NBA. Which paid off btw.

Comment

• Is it possible Fred will be cleared on this?
                    He was listed on an expense report dated 3/2-3/25/16.
                    Fred’s last game was 3/19, if he took the money after the game, does it matter?

Comment

• He shouldn't have taken the money, and will probably regret it later in life, but some of these posts are blowing my mind right now.

Did you never break a minor rule (I don't care if the NCAA classifies it as a "major" violation) in college?

I am interested to know what some of you think is fair punishment for what Fred did. Who should be punished? Who was negatively impacted by him taking that money?

Did you guys agree with the NCAA's decision to vacate a bunch of WSU baseball wins between 2011 - 2013 because a bunch of players received.... wait for it... %50 off Under Armour products used for non-athletic purposes?

Comment

• After reading numerous comments about how this is not on the players I decided I had to respond. Yes 100% on the players. Having played D1 ball I understand that getting by is difficult. I also understand that as a student I had the option of getting a low interest loan to get by. As an athlete I feel blessed to have received a FREE education worth approximately $35,000. By taking money early it is totally self serving, selfish and shows no appreciation to the institution that paid your education. And lastly it shows a lack of integrity and that is something you cannot buy!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post
                          Is it possible Fred will be cleared on this?
                          He was listed on an expense report dated 3/2-3/25/16.
                          Fred’s last game was 3/19, if he took the money after the game, does it matter?
                          The balance sheet shown in the yahoo article was dated 12/31/15.
                          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• When it comes to paying players, let them stay in AAU for a year and then go pro or go overseas. Shoe companies and agents can pay them all they want. If you're a junior or senior in college and feel you should be paid, go pro somewhere (not necessarily the NBA) and get paid. If you want the exposure and (gasp) free education, go to college and abide by the rules. But it's not on the NCAA to pay players. Players get tuition, room and board, trips to South America and Hawaii for tournaments and other benefits that can be quantified, but they want the exposure that the NCAA offers. I don't feel bad they are not being paid on top of that .

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post

The balance sheet shown in the yahoo article was dated 12/31/15.
                              Thanks I’m mobile and missed that.

Comment

Working...
                              X