FBI Corruption Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Good idea. The two threads that we already have probably aren't enough.

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...mbshell-coming

https://shockernet.net/forum/wichita...coaches/page17
    21 pages later

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Your right. Although I did not claim or even imply it would not be a topic of great interest. It had already proved to be that with the other two threads.

• Originally posted by WichitaHawk View Post
    If the facts come out that he's clean the reporter from ESPN should be fired. Imagine if Coach Sean Miller would have gotten fired by U of A this week and the facts ended up being not true. I used to love ESPN but now a days they're going down hill. ESPN is better than this when it comes to reporting. Well they used to be. Now its hard to know if what were being told is true or not.
    I'm usually pretty cynical, so keep that in mind, but...his statement was carefully worded. He didn't deny paying an AAU coach or shoe company, just paying a player. So, both ESPN and Miller may be right.
    Too many coaches have denied too many things that then get proven correct for me to brush off ESPN's report just because of a press conference. Miller has (literally) MILLIONS riding on this. What do ESPN's reporters gain from this late hour fabrication? Maybe something, but Miller it seems has much more to lose.

Comment

• Cdizzle
      Cdizzle commented
      Editing a comment
      ESPN stands to gain viewers.

However, in the event that Miller is vindicated (we shall see), I think it's WAY more likely that the source, not the reporter, had something to gain.

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
    So, both ESPN and Miller may be right.
    ESPN reported that he was recorded talking wth Christian Dawkins about a 6 figure payment to induce Deandre Ayton to attend Arizona. Sean Miller denies that happened. They both can't be right. Now it may ultimatley be shown that Sean MIller viloated NCAA rules or Federal Laws in other instances and perhaps other ways but that would not make ESPN right in this specific reporting.

Now as far as the speific reporting in question it remains to be seen whether ESPN's reporting is accurate or Sean Miller's denials are accurate.

ESPN had made a correction to its initial reporting regarding the timeline I believe. Now ESPN has retracted their correction and are standing by the original reporting.

I saw someone on Reddit say they saw a tweet saying there is 50+ schools involved. Just wanted to make a thread for when this gets released.

So it will be interesting to see where this ends up.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

They both can't be right.

Ok, so they're both lying. I'm a cynic. ;-)

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that may well be the most likely case. I don't think ESPN is lying. Now whether their sources are giving the accurate informaion who knows.

• A school can give any amount of money to someone who is not a booster of the school, or a family member, girlfriend, cousin, etc of a player. That person can then give any amount of money to a player and no rules have been broken. Boosters can't give inducements to players. Schools can't give money to players, family members, etc.

There don't seem to be any rules about schools giving money to sports agents, shoe companies, or other third parties that don't fit any of the NCAA's current "rules". It is incredibly easy to pay players and not break any rules. I think the NCAA likes it that way. That way, the "right" (TV market) schools get the "right" players.

The story about Antoine Carr's mom buying a new house while Antoine was at WSU was brought up recently. Any logical evaluation of her financial situation made it appear impossible for her to do so. The NCAA investigated (and investigated THOROUGHLY) and found no infractions. There are no rules against a mortgage lender, such as the 4th National Bank (which employed Dave Skinner and Ron Heller at the time) making a favorable mortgage and finding an "unrelated" guarantor to the mortgage. I'm not saying that happened, just pointing out how workarounds to NCAA rules are easily found.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I like Sean's wording in his speech where he says, 'knowingly'. That gives him an out if something does pop off in the investigation. His lawyer coached him up real good.

Comment

• The FBI has the transcript and I doubt they are planning on handing it over to the NCAA. They are not investigating NCAA violations but rather money laundering/bribery/tax evasion crimes. At some point, they will have to start pressing charges and the files will be released.

Comment

Working...
          X