FBI Corruption Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

You do know the FBI isn't involved in the amateurism correct? You do realize they are investigating due to fraud right? They are involved because universities are committing fraud by receiving aid in the form of Pell Grants that they know students aren't qualified for because they are either paying players or helping players get paid from shoe companies. FBI doesn't give a rats ass about amateurism. They do care that money is being taken from qualified applicants to give to those that aren't.
    You do know this isn't anywhere near correct, right? Student aid funds are nowhere near the reason for this investigation. The federal government acquired jurisdiction through pretext. It is illegal to bribe or solicit an employee of an entity that receives federal funds. The bribery funds were going TO the employees of the entities (coaches) to push kids to certain agents or companies. They charged the persons paying the bribe with defrauding the entities of the "honest services" of those they were bribing. They just used that section to manufacture the authority to get involved.

If you somehow doubted the motivation behind the investigation, you could take the 30 seconds needed to locate one of the indictments on the issue, which would make the motivation clear to you:

"Since 2015, the FBI and USAO have been investigating the criminal influence of money on coaches and student athletes who participate in intercollegiate basketball governed by the NCAA."

The entire first substantive section of the government's grandstanding indictment is titled "Background on the NCAA and the Relevant NCAA Rules."

But yeah, this is about Pell grants or something, and has nothing to do with amateurism.

Comment

• KU buddy sent this (yes there are decent ones). They're elated from today's events. They're seasoned veterans while we're the new kids.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President
        You do realize an analogy involves 2 not exactly alike, only partially similar things, right?
        Am I really googling this?

"a thing that is comparable to something else in significant respects."

So you are comparing Fred taking 3 grand from an agent to beating your wife and cheating on your taxes? Indeed you are a wordsmith.

Comment

• Somebody correct me if I'm wrong since it's been almost 40 years but I don't remember the KC Times allegations against the Carr family actually showing up in the NCAA list of infractions that resulted in probation.

As far as Fred goes, while I don't like being part of the story, I'm reserving my final judgement until the full story comes out and all parties have had their say. That may be awhile.
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Looks like Arizona may be down for the count.

Comment

• Ruh roh

FBI wiretaps intercepted multiple conversations between Arizona basketball coach Sean Miller and sports agent Christian Dawkins in which Miller discussed a $100,000 payment to ensure star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats, sources told ESPN.

Comment

• If ever there was a death penalty to be had, Arizona sure looks the part.

Comment

• Arizona has to be given the death penalty.

Also KU isn't going to get away from this.

In the same email, Dawkins summarized a meeting with Apples Jones, the mother of Kansas’ Josh Jackson and a self-styled AAU entrepreneur: “His situation is going to get done at the very end. UA is giving her 10k a month and she’s also getting paid by adidas now — so she’s plenty taken care of. She actually works all of under armours events now and talks to the parents as a “advisor”. I do think she’s honest when she says she has only spoken with (agent) Bj Armstrong at this point. After further dialog I don’t think Duffy will be in there — but you can’t count him out ever. We will have to discuss how we will handle the moms boyfriend moving forward.” (A Kansas official pointed to their statement earlier Friday).

Jones started her own AAU program, funded by Under Armour, when Jackson was in high school. It’s unclear why she also allegedly got paid by Adidas. As for taking care of “moms boyfriend,” an item in Dawkins’ expense report from two months earlier shows an expenditure of $367.01 at a Candlewood Suites with the description, “Room for Josh Jackson stepdad.” As Yahoo Sports reported earlier Friday, Dawkins’ expense reports also list two cash advances to Jones totaling $2,700. (Jones denied taking anything from Miller or Dawkins to ESPN on Friday afternoon).

Comment

• Cdizzle
                    Cdizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Source?

• Well, I guess it could be worse.

Sean may need to back a few extra shirts with him every time he leaves the house from now on.
                  The Assman

Comment

• Cdizzle
                    Cdizzle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is one piece from thousands of hours of wiretaps. It could still get worse.

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Arizona just loses Trier due to PEDs, and now we learn Ayton was bought for $100,000 and Sean Miller will be fired shortly. Does Arizona just forfeit the season?

Comment

• Cdizzle https://sports.yahoo.com/black-marke...030605930.html

Comment

• Cdizzle
                        Cdizzle commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks

• Aargh
                        Aargh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        DO NOT! Click this link. The article has been hijacked by a piece of ransomware.

• MadaboutWu
                        MadaboutWu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        mjbaker84 should probably remove the link.

• Sean Miller is sooooo ****ed

Comment

• pinstripers
                        pinstripers commented
                        Editing a comment
                        and there will be more

• Sounds like Jackson's mom was trying to get money from everyone....
                      As was Bowen...

Comment

• If the NCAA doesn't shut down Arizona, then really who cares about anything anymore? Do whatever the **** you want.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Cdizzle
                          Cdizzle commented
                          Editing a comment
                          If verified, I would agree. I think we're more likely to see the NCAA change models to paying players, which won't work, and won't solve the problem anyway. NCAA can't afford to pay every D1 athlete $100k.

It's also getting more likely by the minute that this college basketball fan is checking out.
                      Working...
                      X