FBI Corruption Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well ****
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post

Are we sure this whole ordeal will have any affect on anyone this year? This is all coming out very late. We all know the NCAA is very slow and reluctant to punish blue bloods. I feel like schools and players will go on to play in the NCAA tourny, and then just have a bunch of [VACATED] banners hanging up the next year.
      The NCAA will take years of investigation, but the risk is that any team that had a player on the list will have their games vacated. I would think with that evidence becoming public the schools have to take action now, or face even larger sanction if they ignore it. The NCAA enforcement model has become to police and report yourself.

Players at the start of year who were implicated were removed by their schools, so I think that has to happen here also.

Comment

Some Patriot League conference tourney champ is going end up a de facto NCAA tournament champion after every other game in the tournament has been vacated lol.

Comment

Something to ponder...if he didn't receive any payments until 2016, does that potentially mean he would only be deemed ineligible from that time forward, or do they deem his whole time here that way??

Comment

Originally posted by wushock27 View Post
            Something to ponder...if he didn't receive any payments until 2016, does that potentially mean he would only be deemed ineligible from that time forward, or do they deem his whole time here that way??
            If that was the case, he would only lose his amateur status, and eligibility, after he took payments.

He would be 100% fine before that. Not sure how it works if the school didn't know.

Josh Jackson at KU took the payments BEFORE he ever even committed to Kansas (according to the documents). It is all very messy. All depends on what the school knew, like everyone else has said. Other than that, this doesn't really involved Wichita State University specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

If that was the case, he would only lost his amateur status, and eligibility, after he took payments. He would be 100% fine before that. Not sure how it works if the school didn't know - Josh Jackson at KU took the payments BEFORE he ever even committed to Kansas (according to the documents). It is all very messy. All depends on what the school knew, like everyone else has said. Other than that, this doesn't really involved Wichita State University specifically.
              Oh, I get that...just thinking in terms of possible loss of wins, etc...not terribly concerned yet

Comment

• ShockerExpress
                ShockerExpress commented
                Editing a comment
                I would think it would be only from the point that he was paid going forward... But I definitely do not know that for sure.

If it is proven that NO ONE within WSU had anything to do with the money and this was all under the table action between FVV, his family and the agent can the NCAA still discipline WSU such as probation, vacating wins, etc.?

Comment

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                Wins will probably still be vacated because we won with an ineligible player.

For WSU and any other school with a player on the list, I think the worst that will happen is to have wins vacated in which the player would not have been considered an amateur. So for the Shocks, it's basically the last half of the 2015-2016 season.

There is no way the NCAA can expect a school to self-police this kind of thing without Draconian monitoring of the financial activity of all players and their families.

The schools with coaches involved are the ones who need to worry.

I'm disappointed in Fred and his step-dad, as they were both pointed to as beacons of light, in how to do things right. I still wish Fred the best, but if he was willing to put himself above the program I'm not sure I can view him as an ambassador of WSU. Perhaps my view will change once this has settled in.

Comment

Obviously this is not good, but what is a realistic punishment for this type of thing? Forfeit some wins? Lose a postseason or two? Lose a schollie or two for a couple years? I am not going to panic yet. Clearly this was not a coach trying to gain an advantage for the program. That is when you get the dreaded "lack of institutional control" thrown at you. This was one player caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Yes I understand our punishment will be tougher than what would happen to NC or KU in the exact same situation, but I still think it will manageable for us.

Comment

KU players named also

Comment

Curious if Carlos O'Kelley's has been implicated in any of this?

Comment

The NCAA is an awful organization and everyone knows it.

They are so boxed in. If they don't punish everyone involved it will destroy any remaining legitimacy and many fans may opt out. If they over punish the cash cows, they cows may opt out.

Anybody who hoped WSU is any better or worse than others involved in college basketball can stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

College baseball has the best model for attempting to maintain amateurism.

God bless those at the top trying to navigate their way through this... maybe they will do the right thing

Comment

• Stickboy46
                        Stickboy46 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Key to note. The payments to Fred were the last half of his senior year. So I doubt very much WSU was involved at all in this. They weren't used to secure the player like Louisville

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                      Curious if Carlos O'Kelley's has been implicated in any of this?
                      Impermissible benefits including but not limited to free queso, extra tortillas, and fried ice cream.

Comment

God the holier than thou crowd on here is ridiculous.

looks like Fred’s step dad got paid by an agent to fly to SGF to visit and see his son play basketball.

Who gives a rat’s ass.

the only reason everyone feels so bad about it is because they are conditioned to think this is the worst thing ever. It happens. Move on.

My opinion of a Fred WILL NOT change because of this.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Fred junior year:

Fred senior year:

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• bighouse
                            bighouse commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That raised an eyebrow for me when i saw it for the first time. As someone who has a similar amount of work on my arm....that aint cheap!!!
                        Working...
                        X