No announcement yet.

FBI Corruption Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can also blame KU that they were using an agent to try to get him to transfer. That would be something, LOL.

Comment

Very disappointed in FVV AND his step-dad. They had to have known better. PERIOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

I was going to post the same thing when people were ragging on KU fans for saying "everybody does it," but I didn't think they deserved the defense.

But... yeah, every program that has players that think they'll be going pro has situations that are definitely against the rules. Whether it's an agent paying a player, a donor paying a player, or even a friend of the program offering 10's of thousands of dollars in free tattoos. There are obviously degrees. Some players at UK, KU, etc. were probably getting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of benefits. Smaller programs did a lot less. Sometimes the school knew, sometimes the school turned a blind eye, sometimes the school had no idea. That's what the investigation is going to be about.

Lastly, though... the "slap on the wrist" portion is the only thing I'd definitely disagree with. There's always a risk the NCAA can't risk upsetting the cash cows and schools like KU, UK, UNC get the slap on the wrist while one of the smaller programs gets a post-season ban or something.
        KU's Josh Jackson's mother in the article for $2,700.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• jdshock
          jdshock commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe Fred signed with ASM Sports, the agency these documents came from. As far as I can tell, JJ went with Wasserman. Not that it's particularly meaningful, but it would make you think Jackson probably got money from other folks as well.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        We can also blame KU that they were using an agent to try to get him to transfer. That would be something, LOL.
        they were?

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          I said that tongue in cheek. KU tried to get him to de-commit from us early on.

What if we have to forfeit any money we received from the tournament in 2016? Wouldn't that just put a damper on our old MVC friends.

Comment

The $483 amount is strange -- a plane ticket, perhaps?
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Story from Taylor Eldridge.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...201733754.html

Comment

Disappointed? Why are people disappointed? God forbid someone take money they may need that is not illegal to take. Also I'm going to be real honest, I wouldn't be shocked if we had a bag man making sure needs are taken care of for the players. I know we want to act like we are on a pedestal above this, but we are trying to compete nationally, and I am going to make a strong guess that most nationally relevant programs are doing this. Now maybe we are entirely clean, it's certainly possible, or maybe the university and the staff are entirely unwitting(this is most likely). At some point we need to decide if we want to allow players to monetize for their abilities, whether that's based on giving them back the rights to their image or pay from schools I don't know. But there is obvious a market and a demand, players keep getting paid. Revenue sports keep making more and more money, and as do coaches and staff, yet players are supposed to be satisfied with tuition they may not need or want.

Comment

Ugh - it's not as bad as if it were been being paid to get him to come to the school, but it's still a major black mark. Wichita State being associated in any way with this probe is a terrible blow to the brand and image that has been created.

Comment

I don't get it. Why not just take out a loan and then take 3 grand from a booster like the day after you graduate if you need the money? I agree the idea of "amateurism" is a joke, but I doesn't seem difficult to stay out of trouble with the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
                    I would think the teams with current players will be most impacted. Duke for example has Wendell Carter who averages 14.5 ppg. Now that their administration is aware - it seems his college career is done.
                    Are we sure this whole ordeal will have any affect on anyone this year? This is all coming out very late. We all know the NCAA is very slow and reluctant to punish blue bloods. I feel like schools and players will go on to play in the NCAA tourny, and then just have a bunch of [VACATED] banners hanging up the next year.

Comment

How many schools total are in question?

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
                        Ugh - it's not as bad as if it were been being paid to get him to come to the school, but it's still a major black mark. Wichita State being associated in any way with this probe is a terrible blow to the brand and image that has been created.
                        Maybe I'm out of touch but I thought the brand WSU had built was around tough-nosed national competitiveness. Not of being squeaky clean. I don't think this does anything to the brand.

Comment

• Horn28Clem30
                          Horn28Clem30 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sure it does. Who's the 2 players that any fan thinks of right away when Wichita State is mentioned.... Fred Van Vleet and Ron Baker. Now that this comes out, it tarnishes FVV's legacy to an extent which in turn makes the program look bad in a lot of peoples eyes.

• Downtown Shocker Brown
                          Downtown Shocker Brown commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Showing your age. The 1st player many think about with Wichita State is X.

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post

Are we sure this whole ordeal will have any affect on anyone this year? This is all coming out very late. We all know the NCAA is very slow and reluctant to punish blue bloods. I feel like schools and players will go on to play in the NCAA tourny, and then just have a bunch of [VACATED] banners hanging up the next year.
                        My guess is that the schools won't play the current players that are listed in these documents to try and avoid having future wins vacated.

Comment

• ShockerPhi
                          ShockerPhi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I see, that would make sense.

• Ixiah
                          Ixiah commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Someone on the Kentucky board said that player's receiving meals is a lower infraction than $ and they could pay back what was spent on their behalf. No idea if that is true though.

How does this ever get fixed when it’s pretty apparent that the NCAA is just as corrupt if not the most corrupt entity in all of this?

There’s so many moving pieces in all of this, where do you even start?

Student athletes (especially in football and basketball) are seen as a commodity, not as students first and when it’s been that way for ages, I don’t know how that can ever be changed.

I used to be against paying athletes, and I still don’t like the idea of it but it’s apparent that just like every other prohibited thing, a black market will always form, and everybody will be looking for the edge.

i think professional sports would alleviate a lot of this if they would just let 18 year olds play immediately if they have the talent, and have better developmental leagues similar to minor league baseball for those that have the talent but aren’t quite ready.

Comment

Working...
                        X