No announcement yet.

FBI Corruption Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The $483 payment is listed Jan 13th, 2016 - same date we played @ Missouri State and won by 16.

Comment

It’d be really disappointing if everything in this report is true. Especially over a $1,000 loan.

It’s perfectly legal and not against NCAA regulations though for the federal government to give out loans to students and student athletes for thousands upon thousands of dollars each year, putting them in debt for the rest of their lives, with a degree that is worthless in many cases.

Comment

Will reserve full judgement until more details emerge, but if this affects this program moving forward, I will have lost a ton of respect for Fred.

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried. Every good program was bound to be affected by this. I think we've all heard the rumors, or at least I had, regarding small payments to a few of our players. Having played college basketball it's hard to imagine any program not having a few of these cases. This is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

More will definitely come out and we won't be one of the worst offenders. This is so widespread and the big names like Duke and UK have worse offenses so I doubt we get more than a slap on the wrist.

Comment

• wheathead
            wheathead commented
            Editing a comment
            True. But I’d rather be completely above board. If true I’d love to be a fly on the wall the first time Marshall and VanVleet have a private conversation.

• ICT2CLT
            ICT2CLT commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd love to be above board too, but that's unrealistic. The most we can hope for is the payments coming from outside of the program with no link to someone in the AD. Young kids are going to take cash when offered, especially when they know how much money the institutions are making off of their hard work. I don't think that conversation would go quite like you think. Kind of hard for a coach making 3 million to have any moral high ground in a conversation regarding minuscule payments to players. The whole system is corrupt.

Originally posted by ICT2CLT View Post
          I wouldn't be too worried. Every good program was bound to be affected by this. I think we've all heard the rumors, or at least I had, regarding small payments to a few of our players. Having played college basketball it's hard to imagine any program not having a few of these cases. This is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

More will definitely come out and we won't be one of the worst offenders. This is so widespread and the big names like Duke and UK have worse offenses so I doubt we get more than a slap on the wrist.
          I was going to post the same thing when people were ragging on KU fans for saying "everybody does it," but I didn't think they deserved the defense.

But... yeah, every program that has players that think they'll be going pro has situations that are definitely against the rules. Whether it's an agent paying a player, a donor paying a player, or even a friend of the program offering 10's of thousands of dollars in free tattoos. There are obviously degrees. Some players at UK, KU, etc. were probably getting hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of benefits. Smaller programs did a lot less. Sometimes the school knew, sometimes the school turned a blind eye, sometimes the school had no idea. That's what the investigation is going to be about.

Lastly, though... the "slap on the wrist" portion is the only thing I'd definitely disagree with. There's always a risk the NCAA can't risk upsetting the cash cows and schools like KU, UK, UNC get the slap on the wrist while one of the smaller programs gets a post-season ban or something.

Comment

If this is the extent of our involvement and we get hit with the baseball bat and the bigger programs get a slap.....

I think the NCAA will regret it.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Businesses capitalize on future earnings all the time. Why can’t players?
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Cdizzle
                Cdizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Because it's against the rules.

I would think the teams with current players will be most impacted. Duke for example has Wendell Carter who averages 14.5 ppg. Now that their administration is aware - it seems his college career is done.

Comment

“Bet on yourself” slogan potentially could have a whole new, very sad, meaning.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just make sure you have a line of credit

I think deep breaths and clear minds will be needed.
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                  I’m confused. Someone spell this out for me as far WSU’s involvement.
                  We're about to get the death penalty as a warning to UNC.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• 60Shock
                    60Shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Logical, a very logical.deduction and solution for a very ticklish situation.

So this whole thing is an agent locking up future NBA players already in college? That’s a lot different than colleges paying players to come play there. Fred still cheated, and it sucks. But this is way different than what I thought this whole investigation was initially billed as.

Comment

• Rlh04d
                    Rlh04d commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree. This is a different area of cheating that I don't feel that bad about. This gets more into the gray area for me where I'm frustrated with pretending players are "amateurs" while making their schools millions. How much revenue is FVV directly responsible for here?

People can make up their own minds about how much something like this bothers them, but for me, I don't care. I want to know if the schools themselves are cheating, and this doesn't seem to answer that. If we paid FVV to come here, we deserve to be beaten down. If he took a few bucks a few months before going pro, I don't care.

Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
                  I would think the teams with current players will be most impacted. Duke for example has Wendell Carter who averages 14.5 ppg. Now that their administration is aware - it seems his college career is done.
                  Miles Bridges at Mich State as well. That would be a huge blow for them.

Comment

We should be worried. When the dust settles, the 'blue bloods' will still come out smelling like roses and they'll continue to dominate the basketball landscape. It may take them awhile but they'll return to status quo far, far sooner than a small program like ourselves. Don't fool yourself if you think Duke and North Carolina 3-5 years from now won't continue to get the McDonald All Americans to come play for them. We on the other hand need to pray that FVV received benefits without the knowledge or assistance from any of our coaches or other program administrators. Plausible deniability is our only hope and this was the action of FVV, his family and the agent.

Comment

ugh

Comment

Working...
                      X