Wichita State vs USF Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

In a 40 point game, both sides usually call off the dogs, at the very least, to avoid any injuries in a meaningless game.

I guess that's a risk Brian was willing to take, trying to cut a 40 point deficit to a 30 point one.
    That's what I mean by " he probably has his reasons". Maybe he does think it's important for his team to try to lose by 30 instead of 40. Who knows? I just don't understand why people here are butt hurt by what USF does in a 40 point blow out. Did he really hurt your feelings that bad? McDuffie was playing the last 5 minutes. Should USF'S fans be upset about that? Marshall had his reasons, I'm sure.

Comment

• Well, I gave "Likes" to everyone who posted that clip. Did I mention I didn't care for Collins.

Made my day.

Comment

• My thoughts on their starters being in late and pressing against 11-15 on our bench...
        Go for it. Your risking unnecessary injuries and your PG and your reward was your PG damn near getting a concussion. So don’t be upset with at the screen, your starters need to work on their communication.

Comment

• Just a bad team.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

In a 40 point game, both sides usually call off the dogs, at the very least, to avoid any injuries in a meaningless game.

I guess that's a risk Brian was willing to take, trying to cut a 40 point deficit to a 30 point one.
            You have to have some dogs before you can call them off. USF was a relatively thin team to begin with and they were without their leading scorer on Sunday not that it would have made much difference

Just about every game USF plays this season is meaningless as far as this year is concerned. Obviously, Coach Gregory's decisions are based on what he wants to achieve down the road. Whoever is playing you want them to play hard and fight until the end. Any chance he gets to build a little confidence for his team he is probably going to try to take advantage of it.

I have no problem with the way he managed the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post

That's what I mean by " he probably has his reasons". Maybe he does think it's important for his team to try to lose by 30 instead of 40. Who knows? I just don't understand why people here are butt hurt by what USF does in a 40 point blow out. Did he really hurt your feelings that bad? McDuffie was playing the last 5 minutes. Should USF'S fans be upset about that? Marshall had his reasons, I'm sure.
              Nobody's butthurt. I was happy that one of USF's starters got flattened to oblivion with a minute left in a decided game.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Nobody's butthurt. I was happy that one of USF's starters got flattened to oblivion with a minute left in a decided game.
                I guess you would have been happy if McDuffie got flattened with one minute left in a decided game because he had no business being out there. Marshall obviously thought it was ok to have his second best player out there with the walk-ons in the last minute. Gregory thought it was ok to have some starters playing the last minutes of a blowout. Both coaches weighed the upsides and downsides and did what they did. I'm sorry it hurt your feelings so bad. Don't be butt hurt. Wipe your tears. (FYI, The freshman that got flattened was NOT a starter, but don't let facts get in the way of a good argument. I'm so sorry that reserve freshman for crappy USF playing the last minutes of a 40 point blowout upset you so much)
                Last edited by Zubcut; January 9, 2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Aargh
                  Aargh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If McDuffie gets flattened with a minute left because he's playing with the 3rd unit, then Marshall has a teaching moment with the rest of the 3rd unit at the next practice session. Then it's likely the entire 3rd unit would get some 94-foot drills for the rest of that practice session. Those are also known as wind sprints.

I guess you would have been happy if McDuffie got flattened with one minute left in a decided game because he had no business being out there. Marshall obviously thought it was ok to have his second best player out there with the walk-ons in the last minute. Gregory thought it was ok to have some starters playing the last minutes of a blowout. Both coaches weighed the upsides and downsides and did what they did. I'm sorry it hurt your feelings so bad. Don't be butt hurt. Wipe your tears. (FYI, The freshman that got flattened was NOT a starter, but don't let facts get in the way of a good argument. I'm so sorry that reserve freshman for crappy USF playing the last minutes of a 40 point blowout upset you so much)
                Judging by your lengthy and numerous responses, it appears the only person that’s butthurt is you.

Keep on keepin’ on.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Judging by your lengthy and numerous responses, it appears the only person that’s butthurt is you.

Keep on keepin’ on.
                  Whatever. I'm not the one whining like a 5 year girl about a RESERVE FRESHMAN for USF playing garbage time in a 40 point blowout. Is that short enough?
                  Last edited by Zubcut; January 9, 2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• That was 100% legal screen. The fault lies 100% on the USF team mates for not calling out a screen.

Comment

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't think that is the issue and that everyone agrees with you. I think that the issue is between Fever and Zub. Fever pleasured in an opposing player getting rocked by AM, and Zub (while not assessing blame) doesn't think that screen is an incident to be celebrated (even though legal) because injury could have happened to the player. Anyone else can venture a comment if I'm wrong about their issues. IMO, I agree with you that AM set a very good and legal screen that is to be congratulated for executing what Gregg wanted him to do and separating Malone from his defender. I'm sure that Gregg liked AM's solid screen and didn't care for his flexing to the crowd.

Whatever. I'm not the one whining like a 5 year girl about a RESERVE FRESHMAN for USF playing garbage time in a 40 point blowout. Is that short enough?
                    You got the length down but the CAPPY LOCK still confirms the butthurt.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I started this, so let's do get some facts. I didn't say starters, I said the players who had scored all but 7 of USF's points (also happened to be the top 5 scorers for the game).

Collins is not exactly a reserve freshman either. He missed (I assume to injury) 5 straight games and only played 8 in his first game back. Other than that, in the other 12 games, he has played 22-28 minutes in 5 games, 15-19 in four, with less than 10 minutes in 2 of his first 3 games as a freshman on this team. Given that they "start" 2 seniors, Collins is most likely a big part of their future, although Xavier Castaneda may have something to say about that next year. They also have 2 more freshmen guards on the bench that never saw the floor. Those are the reserve freshmen that probably could have used valuable minutes against WSU's walk-on guards.

You are absolutely right, it is a coach's decision.

Comment

• We're going to have to learn how to deal with the long breaks between games this decompressed conference schedule sometimes gives us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          We're going to have to learn how to deal with the long breaks between games this decompressed conference schedule sometimes gives us.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• That brings back memories.

Comment

Working...
                            X