Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nm
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

So it wasn't what you were hoping he would say even if it's likely the truth?
      dunno, if it's the truth or not, but most of us on this board have known those two things for decades

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Coach has learned that he should recruit guys who are team-oriented. And, if that's not enough, has decided that he shouldn't promise things that he cannot deliver on.
        Marshall may not have been the one promising -- he does have assistant coaches who constantly talk to recruits. I know, I know. He should have known what was going on (all that crap about the buck stops here) -- but he may have found out after the fact. And who knows that at the time promises were made, it was fact. But later recruiting changed the dynamic. The fact is -- WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WENT ON AND WILL PROBABLY NOT EVER KNOW. Give Marshall credit for recognizing this was a problem. You can't tell me other programs don't have this crop up now and then. We just got caught up with this class and the varying personalities of the recruits (and that's as kindly as I can say it).

Comment

• I kind of wondered if that was part of the problem. It seemed like every one of those guys (JB, ES, NF, GS) all commented on GM producing pro guards and wanting to be the next one whenever they committed to us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

Burton wasn’t happy about coming off the bench after starting his freshman year.

3G said he needs to be more careful about what he promises to recruits and make sure he can fulfill those promises. He expected either MO or AM to leave. Doesn’t expect any more defections. Likes the core that stuck around.
            Huh? Burton started 24 of 30 games. Sherfield started 12.

Sherfield definitely wasn't the PG answer but if Burton is so concerned about starting, well, have fun starting at James Madison or whatever mid-major he ends up with. A lot of ME in Burton and it was noticeable throughout the year. He thinks he's a lot better than what his stats and gameplay show.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Sounds like Burton was pretty much pissed form the beginning when Sherfield was quoted saying that Marshall had told him he wanted him to be the starting point guard right away and be a leader. In mid-January Burton told The Athletic that when you start as a freshman then come off the bench the next year behind a freshman that will piss you off.
              Here I always thought it was more important who finished a tough game, not who started it.

JB, you seemed to miss the boat on this one. Here is a team full of freshmen and sophomores after losing 2 important seniors. Who becomes the star for the team that has to be out on the court 30+ minutes in tough games will work it self out over time and it will be pretty clear for all to see (even the players). Until then, HCGM's job is to win games, get all the underclassmen as much experience as possible, and try to find the best matchups against each opponent, their starters and off the bench players. When a team is this young and has a lot of limited experience, IT IS NOT ABOUT A PLAYER WHO THINKS THEY SHOULD START!! Particularly, when as a freshman, one started a lot primary because there was no one more experienced/better ahead of them.

Marshall's plan seemed to work very well through the first 16 games. Hard for a player to b**tch when the team is winning. Then came a rough spot in the road and for the players, it seemed to become who is starting or getting more playing time.

Comment

• Was there anything in the article about HCGM being concerned he might be replaced by Richey or Weber?

Comment

• I liked that Marshall fired back at a couple of players. Said when the virus hit they couldn’t talk to the players because they were home or shacked up at a girlfriends house (speculations of off the court girlfriend issues)
                  There was one player that was told he wasn’t welcome back, Marshall confirmed he knew Stevenson was a definite transfer. Seemed bummed about JB, knew he handled that wrong and has learned a lesson from that, tried to please both JB and GS and learned a lesson there. Also said he likes John Stockton, Jason Kidd type points and JB was a Patrick Beverly type, hinting that he wasn’t a good fit as a point in Marshall’s system.

overall it really shed some light on the subject. If you spend more than an hour a day on SN, especially during this covid crap, buy a month of The Athletic. You won’t regret it.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashman View Post
                    Was there anything in the article about HCGM being concerned he might be replaced by Richey or Weber?
                    No but really, he should be more worried about Steve Eck.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Sherfield definitely wasn't the PG answer but if Burton is so concerned about starting, well, have fun starting at James Madison or whatever mid-major he ends up with. A lot of ME in Burton and it was noticeable throughout the year. He thinks he's a lot better than what his stats and gameplay show.
                      You were all on JB all season. Calling out his play.

I didn't want to believe it, because he seemed like such a nice young man and all. Starting to see the fuller picture.

There is fault on both sides, but it's starting to look more and more like it wasn't just Marshall being a meanie-weenie poo-poo-head.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

No but really, he should be more worried about Steve Eck.
                        Anyone seen Danny Ainge recently?
                        Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

• Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenge, wish for more wisdom.

Jim Rohn

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I thought some of your criticism of JB was a bit overdone during the season, but I certainly agree with this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashman View Post
                              Was there anything in the article about HCGM being concerned he might be replaced by Richey or Weber?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Sounds like Burton was pretty much pissed form the beginning when Sherfield was quoted saying that Marshall had told him he wanted him to be the starting point guard right away and be a leader. In mid-January Burton told The Athletic that when you start as a freshman then come off the bench the next year behind a freshman that will piss you off.
                                All I gotta say is get over it cry baby. If it pisses you off then use it as motivation to show the coaches that you deserve the spot. Bye Felicia!

Comment

Working...
                                X