Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
    Ranking the 25 best college basketball coaching hires of the last 25 years - ESPN

John Gasaway, ESPN Insider
    April 30, 6:00 AM CT

First things first: Mike Krzyzewski and Jim Boeheim aren't here. They were hired 40 and 44 years ago, respectively, placing them well outside our "last 25 years" scan. Nevertheless, those were great hires. While we're handing out awards to the prehistoric past, let it be known that when Davidson hired Bob McKillop in 1989, he was the head coach at Long Island Lutheran High School. So, yeah, that would definitely make this list if it were eligible.

Last warning label. This list covers active college coaches only. It need hardly be added there have been truly amazing hires in the past quarter-century with respect to now-retired members of the profession (we see you, Bo Ryan), as well as those currently at the next level or perhaps in transit in between levels (hello, Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens and John Beilein).

Enjoy

1. Roy Williams, North Carolina Tar Heels (2003)...
    2. Jay Wright, Villanova Wildcats (2001)...
    3. Tom Izzo, Michigan State Spartans (1995)...
    4. Bill Self, Kansas Jayhawks (2003)...
    5. John Calipari, Kentucky Wildcats (2009)...
    6. Tony Bennett, Virginia Cavaliers (2009)...
    7. Mark Few, Gonzaga Bulldogs (1999)...
    8. Leonard Hamilton, Florida State Seminoles (2002)...
    9. Chris Beard, Texas Tech Red Raiders (2016)...
    10. Bob Huggins, West Virginia Mountaineers (2007)...
    11. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State Shockers (2007) - The Shockers earned a No. 1 seed and entered the 2014 NCAA tournament undefeated, and all they got for their troubles was a pairing in the round of 32 with statistically the greatest recruiting class of the one-and-done era (i.e., Kentucky). Note additionally Marshall's run of seven straight tournament appearances -- a record both at Wichita State and in the Missouri Valley...."
    16. Kelvin Sampson, Houston Cougars (2014)...
    24. Penny Hardaway, Memphis Tigers (2018)..."
    Penny Hardaway??
    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Why is Sampson ranked 5 spots below Marshall? Asinine.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• And where the eff is Bob Richey?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          And where the eff is Bob Richey?
          Visiting an old friend at his cabin in the mountains...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Pretty sure there would be an eloquent, thoughtful, insightful, and wordy follow up to this, but someone is out fishing.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                Ranking the 25 best college basketball coaching hires of the last 25 years -11. Gregg Marshall, Wichita State Shockers (2007) - The Shockers earned a No. 1 seed and entered the 2014 NCAA tournament undefeated, and all they got for their troubles was a pairing in the round of 32 with statistically the greatest recruiting class of the one-and-done era (i.e., Kentucky)
                I’ve never seen that game described that way or that Kentucky team characterized as such...but I like it. Doesn’t soften the blow but you have to recognize what a great job Bob, er, Gregg did coaching those teams and putting them in position for that to even happen.

Comment

• I believe there is a vast difference between having a coach who was successful at a high level and who goes to another high level school and is very successful as opposed to what a Mark Few, Jay Wright, or Gregg Marshall has done.

Comment

Why is Sampson ranked 5 spots below Marshall? Asinine.

Maybe because he hasn’t won any NCAA games at Houston and wasn’t a #1 Seed? The schools where he did win in the NCAA, he cheated. Possible Answer

I have to give it to him for now getting high level local kids to consider Houston again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post

I’ve never seen that game described that way or that Kentucky team characterized as such...but I like it. Doesn’t soften the blow but you have to recognize what a great job Bob, er, Gregg did coaching those teams and putting them in position for that to even happen.
                      I've been watching the breakdown videos that assistant coach Nick Jones has been posting on Twitter; I had forgot how good some of those players were and how efficiently our offense functioned.; definitely a thing of beauty. Gotta give all the credit to the assistant coaches and players that have moved on, because HCGM has forgot everything he's learned the past 20+ years.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• #11 seems low when I just hear the ranking, but tough to argue with that list.

A lot of tremendous coaches on this list.
                        The Assman

Comment

• ^^^^ And then there's Shaka and Penny...
                          One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                            ^^^^ And then there's Shaka and Penny...
                            Shaka won a fair number of games at VCU. Seems like VCU was always making noise in the NCAA Tourney as well, even against higher caliber programs.. But at Texas....seems like its been hit-miss. The (perceived/evaluated) level of players he gets at Texas are greater, but he doesn't make a lot of noise with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I've been watching the breakdown videos that assistant coach Nick Jones has been posting on Twitter; I had forgot how good some of those players were and how efficiently our offense functioned.; definitely a thing of beauty. Gotta give all the credit to the assistant coaches and players that have moved on, because HCGM has forgot everything he's learned the past 20+ years.
                              Yeah, those videos are definitely making me nostalgic. No doubt the current crop of assistant coaches are really good, but damn, I miss Jans and Heiar, and Forbes!

Comment

For anyone who knows anything about pool, no-one ever talks about who is the best player to ever play. It is and always will be Efren. The only argument was, who is the second best player. Hope this helps answering your Bob Richey question.

Comment

Working...
                                X