So this begs the question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    Thank you for the overview 72 as ABC seems to still struggle with who Sexton has hired and who previous AD's have hired. Maybe your analysis will better infiltrate the mind of an obviously biased individual.
    I have asked earlier and haven't received an answer so I'll ask again.

What would you have done differently in regards to the coaching situation than Sexton has done? Who and when would you have fired them differently than Sexton? Would you have fired and hired a coach just so you could have "hired a coach"?

Comment

• I am one who doesn't have the biggest confidence in ADES. It originated with the terrible performance by the AD during the clock issue at the MoVal tournament in which he gave public approval to Elgin and the Refs in the manner in which the Shockers were robbed of a win against CU.

The confidence level has not grown due to what I believe is his mishandling of the baseball program the past 2-3 years.
      Granted, I think he does some things very well. He stays out of trouble, seems to manage the fiduciary aspects pretty well, stays in compliance with the NCAA.
      Without a doubt, the issue with the baseball program and how he handles it might well indeed establish a tone for his (and Shocker athletics) furture success or failure. I do indeed want him to be successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
        Seems to be the same as I had, Shockfever except the XC coach was hired under Sexton. I guess I just disagree with 72 that that hire doesn't go to Sexton - good or bad in the long run.

I wasn't sure who hired the women's golf coach and now an enlightened.

This shows bias? You have some kind of weird anti-Sexton point of view that seems to be narrowed down to not liking how he speaks publicly. I thought Sexton did very well with the multiple interviews during the Final Four run.

And weirdly, you seem to criticize him b/c of the success of the current coaches who were hired by Schaus. That is just plain odd.

At least we've narrowed down your unspecified, vague criticism to those two things. The bias seems to pretty fairly well exposed here.

And let me repeat that you brought up the issue of previous regimes, not me. You wanted to compare to Sexton and then you didn't. Oh well.
        AC, you use the word "weird" a lot. I'm guessing because you hear it a lot in conversations involving yourself.

I criticize him because of the successes of other coaches? No. I criticize him based on how I've him seen him, the way he acts, and his unproven resume. I'm simply not ready to crown him like you do. AGAIN, since you have trouble comprehending, I clearly stated that it is not his fault that he has inherited a cupboard full of good things. A caged animal could run the athletic department right now and not get fired. That's fine and dandy. I'm saying he has no track record so therefore based on simple observations that have been made, I feel a bit uneasy about him going forward. He has had a lot to live up to compared to the previous regime.

As for your last few sentences, I'm done with that line. You clearly can't understand a single, solitary thing regarding things that you have taken out of context.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
          I have asked earlier and haven't received an answer so I'll ask again.

What would you have done differently in regards to the coaching situation than Sexton has done? Who and when would you have fired them differently than Sexton? Would you have fired and hired a coach just so you could have "hired a coach"?
          Nothing. Once again, a caged Sedgwick County Zoo giraffe could run the the athletic department right now and not be fired. He hasn't had to make single defining hire yet. His only hire right now has been in softball, the sport where we are the worst at now currently.

Sexton was a golfer at WSU and had a good relationship with his employer so he got the job. Does he have any previous AD experience? Just wondering.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Nothing. Once again, a caged Sedgwick County Zoo giraffe could run the the athletic department right now and not be fired. He hasn't had to make single defining hire yet. His only hire right now has been in softball, the sport where we are the worst at now currently.
            So you are saying a caged Sedgwick County Zoo giraffe could renegotiate HCGM's contract every year to keep him here & happy? I don't think maintaining this success is the easiest thing in the world to do.

Comment

• When it comes to Sexton, Gorilla, Fever is the banned and unlamented Cold's ghostwriter.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
                So you are saying a caged Sedgwick County Zoo giraffe could renegotiate HCGM's contract every year to keep him here & happy? I don't think maintaining this success is the easiest thing in the world to do.
                . . . and Lamb and Rainbolt . . .

Comment

AC, you use the word "weird" a lot. I'm guessing because you hear it a lot in conversations involving yourself.

I criticize him because of the successes of other coaches? No. I criticize him based on how I've him seen him, the way he acts, and his unproven resume. I'm simply not ready to crown him like you do. AGAIN, since you have trouble comprehending, I clearly stated that it is not his fault that he has inherited a cupboard full of good things. A caged animal could run the athletic department right now and not get fired. That's fine and dandy. I'm saying he has no track record so therefore based on simple observations that have been made, I feel a bit uneasy about him going forward. He has had a lot to live up to compared to the previous regime.

As for your last few sentences, I'm done with that line. You clearly can't understand a single, solitary thing regarding things that you have taken out of context.
                  I think questions about his unproven resume when he was hired are more than fair game. Though I've known Eric a while, I did not see the hire coming and I had similar questions. He's been on the job for five years now. Questions about his resume at this point are lame and shallow. Base your observations on his performance.

In addition to his resume and your previous comments about his public speaking ability, you add another vague criticism: about how he "acts". Really?

Oh and you really can't resist the straw men, can you? When did I crown Sexton and for what?

During his tenure what grade do you give the Athletic Department? What grade do you give Sexton and why? How do you compare him to other WSU athletic "regimes"?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
                    If a giraffe could ask "what do you want me to do for you to say here", then it sure can.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      When it comes to Sexton, Gorilla, Fever is the banned and unlamented Cold's ghostwriter.
                      Aren't you defeating the purpose of your ignore list you like to brag about when you talk about the person you're supposedly "ignoring"?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If a giraffe could ask "what do you want me to do for you to say here", then it sure can.
                        Ah yes, it really is that easy, isn't it?

Comment

I think questions about his unproven resume when he was hired are more than fair game. Though I've known Eric a while, I did not see the hire coming and I had similar questions. He's been on the job for five years now. Questions about his resume at this point are lame and shallow. Base your observations on his performance.

In addition to his resume and your previous comments about his public speaking ability, you add another vague criticism: about how he "acts". Really?

Oh and you really can't resist the straw men, can you? When did I crown Sexton and for what?

During his tenure what grade do you give the Athletic Department? What grade do you give Sexton and why? How do you compare him to other WSU athletic "regimes"?
                          Questions about his resume are lame and shallow because he's been on the job for 5 years? He hasn't had to make a single, earth-shattering athletic department hire yet. That question will be answered in a year or two with baseball.

You don't think the way public figures and representatives of the university should be judged on the way they act and represent themselves? I admit it's not a major issue but it is bothersome to me.

You're crowning Sexton for the simple fact that you can't even let a different, opposing opinion of Sexton come by here without you going into hypersensitive mode. I assume if you think I'm anti-Sexton, that must mean you are pro-Sexton, hence the crowning.

If you're talking about the overall athletic department during the entire tenure, I'd give it a C. There were some brutal, humiliating years a couple years ago regarding the marketing of Shocker athletics, the amateur presentation during major sporting events, i.e. men's basketball games, the botching of certain filing papers that kept certain players from playing basketball games under said person's watch, etc. Those were some incredibly bad eff-ups. The marketing and presentation part has improved steadily, if not dramatically, I admit, but you asked grade for the whole tenure. It does help that nearly the entire athletic department was inherited by the hiring and forward-thinking of a previous athletic director.

Sexton is hovering around a C to C- in my books. The only thing that keeps him with a passing grade is that the current programs have not dipped and have remained at the same levels the previous administration has instilled. ES does make a person cringe when put in front of a microphone. It seems like very rarely public updates are made to outlook the progress of Shocker athletics and what future goals are. Veritas brought up the St. Louis clock fiasco. How often has the Valley baseball tournament been in Wichita in the last 5 years? Is it a Valley thing or was there too much amateur hour going on for WSU to be maintained as a tournament host and losing out to places like Normal freaking Illinois?

He certainly is well below Jim Schaus as far as comparing regimes goes. Before Schaus goes, my memory becomes vague as I was barely coming out of high school at the time. I would ask 1972 about those days as he would give a better, more in-depth, non-bias view of those predecessors.
                          Last edited by ShockerFever; May 13, 2013, 04:41 PM.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Ah yes, it really is that easy, isn't it?
                            It sure isn't worth a ceremonial crowning. Give Marshall whatever the **** he wants. Done.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Questions about his resume are lame and shallow because he's been on the job for 5 years? He hasn't had to make a single, earth-shattering athletic department hire yet. That question will be answered in a year or two with baseball.
                                I would argue that hiring Darren Boatright was extremely important to continued success of the administration.

Comment

Working...
                                X