So this begs the question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this begs the question....

...if we win the Valley but don't win the conference tournament, does Gene last through his contract? We know what the answer should be (or at least most of us) but how can you can a guy who just won the league (albeit a weak one) and has a legendary biography for a college coach? Has anyone else been let go after winning their conference in any sport (not including people caught in scandals like Petrino)?

This may be a perfect opportunity to insert a HCIW.

Discuss please.

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    ...if we win the Valley but don't win the conference tournament, does Gene last through his contract? We know what the answer should be (or at least most of us) but how can you can a guy who just won the league (albeit a weak one) and has a legendary biography for a college coach? Has anyone else been let go after winning their conference in any sport (not including people caught in scandals like Petrino)?
    Ben Howland of UCLA.

Comment

Winning the MVC regular season isn't much of an accomplishment. If there is a plan to replace #10, it shouldn't change. I see the only saving salvo being a trip to a Super Regional. I doubt the plan is in place, though.

BTW, Ben Howland was let go from UCLA this year. Won the Pac10 (tied for first). 7 trips to NCAA tournament in 10 seasons and 3 Final Fours. Some places aren't satisfied with "just getting there".

I sure there are numerous examples, especially at big-time BCS football schools.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Gene will not be fired nor should he...

I predict the Shox win the MoVal tournament and reach a Super Regional. Gene signs an extension.

Comment

This program is not judged by how many MVC regular season championships it wins. Rather, our success is based on NCAA post season appearances and how far we advance. In my opinion.

Personally, I could care less how many MVC regular or postseason championships we win in basketball. Just how many NCAA March Madness banners we can hang from the rafters. The same applies to our baseball program.

It used to be we would pump out our chest on our consecutive 40 plus win seasons, our number of postseason appearances in a row, and regional hosting opportunities. Now, we have relegated ourselves to being happy if we win a crappy conference championship. Which in the grand scheme of college baseball, rings hollow considering how awful MVC baseball is year-end and year-out. The MVC is just a middling college baseball conference and is viewed precisely as such. Hence, the reason why Shocker baseball was so unique.

A small university, with no football, in a northern climate playing in a middling baseball conference who can go on and play with the big boys and have huge amounts of success. That is, was, Shocker baseball. To hell with conference championships. If we were the Shocker program of old, conference championships would take care of itself as we go onto postseason play.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

This may be a perfect opportunity to insert a HCIW.

Discuss please.
              Whether the Shockers win the Valley tourney or not, this is what needs to happen. The question is, will Gene will allow it. I'm sure ADES would love to see a smooth transition like this made in the baseball program.

There are so many pluses if this were to happen, for the future of the program and for the legacy that Gene built.

Unfortunately, JT will most likely be the stumbling block and probably why Krusty and Krew will all see the ax together. It does no good for ADES to not renew JT's contract if Gene isn't on board (unlike Gene and BK, JT is on a year to year).

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                Keeping him another year just puts us in that much deeper of a hole for recruiting.

If the rumors are true about ADES having an arrangement in place with a successor (this almost certainly means Standiford or Hooper), there is no point to wait on pulling the trigger.
                I have no idea if Mark or Kevin would be on board for the HCIW idea, but I'd think it would be a plus for them. It would not hurt recruiting as players would know who their coach is and would be. It would be a smoother transition for the players.

Comment

I will be very surprised if the HCIW scenario plays out. That is wishful thinking on all of your parts.

Gene has never, ever in his 30+ years at WSU acted in a way that should give you any hope of that happening. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                    ??

Except for a CWS appearance, I think Gene retires this year and WSU pays his last year.

Comment

I predict the Shox win the MoVal tournament and reach a Super Regional. Gene signs an extension.
                      There is ZERO chance of this happening. The only thing I believe that will save Gene after May this year is a run to the CWS. If by some miracle they could get to Omaha, I believe there COULD be a ground swell of support allowing him to have a retirement party all next season. COULD, not a certainty.

There is absolutely no chance Gene is leading this program during the 14-15 season.

Comment

Unless something has changed dramatically, it's not Hoop, if it's anyone. I would love for it to be Hoop.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                          Ben Howland of UCLA.
                          I thought about Howland but kind of lumped him into the scandal crowd given the SI article a couple of years ago. Fair point though.

Why is everybody so convinced a HCIW or the next head coach will be from the Gene tree?

89, I get your point about Gene's bullheadedness but who holds the cards here?

Old man, you need to either leave now or finish out your contract with Coach X standing by to take the reins. Either way it's a win.

Comment

I would love to be wrong, but WTF have you been ingesting?

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X