Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    Gene will not be fired nor should he...

I predict the Shox win the MoVal tournament and reach a Super Regional. Gene signs an extension.
    One step closer...
    Go Shox.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Outstanding answer, 89...focus now is on these young men and how they have battled back to put a good spin on a tough year...

Comment

• I posted this in the championship thread last night but it is probably more appropriate here...

Great win, great week and great year to be a Shocker!!!

I'm sorry but in a "what have you done for me lately world", to me this makes ADES' job very uneviable. I will support all of you that questioned Gene's production the last few years but now we are trending in the right direction again with a pretty decent looking team next year. Renegotiate contracts? YES, Infuse some younger blood in the coaching staff? YES, Head coaching change? I don't see how... 3 NCAA appearances in the last 6 years, 2 Super Regionals (keep in mind in 2010 we won the MVC regular season but didn't make the NCAA). I think we are overpaying, but I can't say the results are unacceptable. If we go 2 more years without a regional I am there, but I would assume we will be favored to win the conference next year and what if we make another NCAA appearance? We are going to part ways with a legend of the game after back to back NCAAs? I know you can argue the other side too but to me ADES is in a lose/lose situation...

Added thoughts: We basically had 2 bad years (we won the MVC regular season in 2010 but didn't make the NCAA). 2011 and 2012 were terrible but the last two or three recruiting classes are looking good. Tyler Baker has improved his BA from .205 as a Fr to .332 as a So. Garrett Bayliff is just a stud hitting .389, Dearman as a Fr is hitting .302, Gillaspie improved from .274 to .300. Brummett is having a great year. There are a few guys (namely Coy) that didn't have great years, but we also have one of the best fielding percentages of all time so you can't say they aren't being coached or aren't improving. Gene needs to be OFFERED a contract extension that includes an exit/transition plan with a younger coach that will take over when Gene leaves (this can be specified or evaluated every couple years by the AD). Then ADES has not "terminated" Gene's contract and Gene can choose if he wants to coach longer and go after the all time winningest mark as a Shocker or if he wants to risk being fired/bought out/contract expired. This way it is Gene's choice. Maybe that's been done and maybe Gene walked away, but what ADES needs to help Gene understand (as a good AD/Manager) is that JT and/or Brent will likely not coach at WSU if Gene isn't here so at this point his loyalty to JT is meaningless!
          Last edited by shockfan89_; May 26, 2013, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• I agree with the above post. Gene may rub some people the wrong way, but I think the discussion needs to be more about improving his staff than replacing the man in charge. We need better recruiters and someone that can be groomed to take over the program someday. If Gene remains loyal to his guys, it may be to his own demise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I agree with the above post. Gene may rub some people the wrong way, but I think the discussion needs to be more about improving his staff than replacing the man in charge. We need better recruiters and someone that can be groomed to take over the program someday. If Gene remains loyal to his guys, it may be to his own demise.
              The story is ADES told Gene that and Gene answer was No.

As far as the question goes does this buy Gene more time? I guess it depends on what happens next weekend. Had this team played with the heart and passion they showed this week - this team would have been a top 25 team.

The question is did the "light bulb come on" with some of the veterans finally feeling the end nearing and the younger guys finally getting tired of getting beat putting it all out there? Or will this team resort to their old self and behavior? Was the MVC tournament their CWS and they now done for the year? I sure don't know - but I do like the team of this week much better than the team we have seen since February.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                I was on the SASO Board too and I agree with power is the ICAA.
                While the Board of Directors of the ICAA does vote on the athletic budget, the SASO Board is generally much better informed about certain financial details. The budget the ICAA Board votes on consists of broad categories and information about things like salaries is absent. Also, if you compare the budget that the ICAA Board approves with media reports of WSU's athletic budget, you notice that the ICAA budget is only a portion of the overall athletic budget. (This difference in budgets is correct and legal because the $20M-$22M budget that is reported by some media sources includes state funding which is not part of the ICAA budget, if I am remembering correctly.)

Write to Eric Sexton, request a copy of the ICAA budget (which should be a public document consisting of two parts, revenue and expenses with 30-40 categories each) and see if reading it makes you better informed. You will find the anticipated cost of basketball game management, baseball game management, media productions, etc. and the anticipated basketball ticket revenue, volleyball ticket revenue, baseball ticket revenue, concessions, SASO contributions, student contributions, etc. (It has been a while since I saw one of these budgets and I can't recall the various categories. However I never felt particularly enlightened after reading one of these.)

SASO has more actual power than ICAA because SASO raises money. Of course, the ICAA Board could probably amend the proposed budget and reject an increase in SASO contributions or ticket prices but the ICAA Board has no real information and no idea of the effects of amending the budget on which it is to vote; it would be foolish in this case to propose amending the budget. The SASO board consists of people already making contributions to WSU and I presume that an increase in SASO contributions is the result of a negotiation between the contributors (SASO members, represented by the SASO Board) and the AD. The ICAA Board does not vote on or approve the minimum contribution levels required for the different SASO membership levels; I presume the SASO Board votes on this.

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                Oh, I had the opportunity to hear Jim Schaus speaking in patronizing circles.
                Jim Schaus was even less revealing than Eric Sexton and both of them hated to part with an piece of real information. (For example, the negotiations regarding Turgeon's or Marshall's contract (& salary) revisions are a complete mystery to me and I do not believe members of the ICAA Board have ever seen a coach's contract.) I found Eric to be much more personable than Jim. Eric knew people's names while I do not once recall Jim calling me by my name; I'm sure that he would have instantly known my name if I had a $1M check to give him.

One Final Comment: If you look at the ratio of contribution to seat allocation between students and general fans (SASO), you see that this ratio is higher for the students. That is, the student body pays more per seat at Koch Arena than do the SASO members overall. The next time you want to criticize the students, remember that Athletics gets more revenue per seat from the students than from the general fans.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  As far as the question goes does this buy Gene more time? I guess it depends on what happens next weekend. Had this team played with the heart and passion they showed this week - this team would have been a top 25 team.
                  I tend to disagree, I think it should buy Gene more time. HCGM rightfully got a contract extension after his 1st NCAA appearance at the end of the 2012 season (even though at that time he had 0 NCAA post-season wins), I think Gene deserves a contract extension after his 28th NCAA appearance unless we have a different bar we judge coaches on? Obviously there is more to consider in a contract extension than just making NCAA post-season play, but just seeing that # of 28 NCAA appearances in writing makes it seem strange that we could even be at this point...
                  Last edited by shockfan89_; May 26, 2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                    I tend to disagree, I think it should buy Gene more time. HCGM rightfully got a contract extension after his 1st NCAA appearance at the end of the 2012 season (even though at that time he had 0 NCAA post-season wins), I think Gene deserves a contract extension after his 28th NCAA appearance unless we have a different bar we judge coaches on? Obviously there is more to consider in a contract extension than just making NCAA post-season play, but just seeing that # of 28 NCAA appearances in writing makes it seem strange that we could even be at this point...
                    apples and oranges. Basketball pays the bills.

2nd, substantial number of people have walked away from the program (or died) and are not coming back until Gene is gone (at least for the one alive). ADES going to have a hard decision to make. For me at least it is going to take more than 1 weekend to make me think Gene has the program going in the right direction.

Go 2 and Q - adios amigo
                    Play another 2 weeks - let him finish out his contract
                    Play at least another 3-4 weeks and Gene can have his extension with assistant HC hired who will take the reign over when he retires.

Comment

• There is a lot of off-field baggage about GS and the other coaches that has an impact on this decision, Shockfan 89. It is not all about the on-field performance.

Comment

There is a lot of off-field baggage about GS and the other coaches that has an impact on this decision, Shockfan 89. It is not all about the on-field performance.
                        Like what? Exclude the alleged stalking incident. What else?

Comment

I posted this in the championship thread last night but it is probably more appropriate here...

Great win, great week and great year to be a Shocker!!!

I'm sorry but in a "what have you done for me lately world", to me this makes ADES' job very uneviable. I will support all of you that questioned Gene's production the last few years but now we are trending in the right direction again with a pretty decent looking team next year. Renegotiate contracts? YES, Infuse some younger blood in the coaching staff? YES, Head coaching change? I don't see how... 3 NCAA appearances in the last 6 years, 2 Super Regionals (keep in mind in 2010 we won the MVC regular season but didn't make the NCAA). I think we are overpaying, but I can't say the results are unacceptable. If we go 2 more years without a regional I am there, but I would assume we will be favored to win the conference next year and what if we make another NCAA appearance? We are going to part ways with a legend of the game after back to back NCAAs? I know you can argue the other side too but to me ADES is in a lose/lose situation...

Added thoughts: We basically had 2 bad years (we won the MVC regular season in 2010 but didn't make the NCAA). 2011 and 2012 were terrible but the last two or three recruiting classes are looking good. Tyler Baker has improved his BA from .205 as a Fr to .332 as a So. Garrett Bayliff is just a stud hitting .389, Dearman as a Fr is hitting .302, Gillaspie improved from .274 to .300. Brummett is having a great year. There are a few guys (namely Coy) that didn't have great years, but we also have one of the best fielding percentages of all time so you can't say they aren't being coached or aren't improving. Gene needs to be OFFERED a contract extension that includes an exit/transition plan with a younger coach that will take over when Gene leaves (this can be specified or evaluated every couple years by the AD). Then ADES has not "terminated" Gene's contract and Gene can choose if he wants to coach longer and go after the all time winningest mark as a Shocker or if he wants to risk being fired/bought out/contract expired. This way it is Gene's choice. Maybe that's been done and maybe Gene walked away, but what ADES needs to help Gene understand (as a good AD/Manager) is that JT and/or Brent will likely not coach at WSU if Gene isn't here so at this point his loyalty to JT is meaningless!
                          Agree. Additionally, a few of those tough recruiting years were caused by the Draft coupled with Gene's practice to not over-recruit and cut players later. I think he has recently changed that line of thinking. Recent recruiting has been hog-tied due to no contract extension. Area schools such as KSU, KU, and OSU might have benefited.
                          ADES should extend and hopefully along the same thought process spelled out by Shockfan89.

Comment

There is a lot of off-field baggage about GS and the other coaches that has an impact on this decision, Shockfan 89. It is not all about the on-field performance.
                            ABC - It should be all about the on-field performance now. The off the field stuff should have been handled when it occurred. If anything occurred that impacted Gene's ability to coach the team, he should have been relieved of his coaching duties at that time. It's a complete cop out to use that now as a reason not to extend his contract. I'm not saying I disagree with you, just pointing out that a strong leader deals with things when they occur, not when it's convenient.

Comment

ABC - It should be all about the on-field performance now. The off the field stuff should have been handled when it occurred. If anything occurred that impacted Gene's ability to coach the team, he should have been relieved of his coaching duties at that time. It's a complete cop out to use that now as a reason not to extend his contract. I'm not saying I disagree with you, just pointing out that a strong leader deals with things when they occur, not when it's convenient.
                              It should NEVER be only about on the field performance. And 1 good week doesn't change anything. The arrow has been pointing down for years, and nothing that happened the last 6 days has changed that arrow any more than Indiana State winning in St Louis changed their program path.

Things happen off the field that not everyone sees. Gene is WSU Baseball. Nothing will ever change that. But he's not the same coach he was. He hasn't adjusted when the situation called for it. The time has come to make a change.

I believe ADES will make the tough decision, and I believe he will do everything he can to make Gene look like the good guy. It's what I believe, I certainly could be wrong.

For those that want Gene to stay....I can't argue against that because he's the face of WSU he gets to coach as long as he wants. If you agree with that, I understand. As harsh as it may sound, I do not....I do not believe any one man is bigger than the program. I believe WSU baseball can once again be elite. I do not believe Gene can get us there.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X