No announcement yet.

NBC News: "The FBI Has Arrested Several NCAA Assistant Basketball Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I understand people’s desires to allow the players to earn income, but it’s such a slippery slope. Let’s say they allow them to have autograph signing sessions on weekends. What stops a wealthy donor from paying $100k for an autograph? Once you open the door, it’s just a bidding game, only it’s legal.

Comment

• The best answer is to let them go pro.

Comment

• Makes sense to me to let them go pro. Have the same 5 years to play four college seasons start at the same time. If they wash out, they can finish some of their college career somewhere but are not eligible for a scholarship. Have to walk on since they were paid once.

it keeps the big money from being able to control college basketball and still allows players a limited second chance if they don’t have what it takes after all. If they last 4 or 5 years professionally, their eligibility is up, too. You’d never have anyone older than about 22 needing to start over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
          Makes sense to me to let them go pro. Have the same 5 years to play four college seasons start at the same time. If they wash out, they can finish some of their college career somewhere but are not eligible for a scholarship. Have to walk on since they were paid once.

it keeps the big money from being able to control college basketball and still allows players a limited second chance if they don’t have what it takes after all. If they last 4 or 5 years professionally, their eligibility is up, too. You’d never have anyone older than about 22 needing to start over.
          i don’t like this idea at all. You go pro and take your chances or you go to college. If you go to college, it’s a two year commitment. The one and done concept is one of the worse things for college basketball right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

i don’t like this idea at all. You go pro and take your chances or you go to college. If you go to college, it’s a two year commitment. The one and done concept is one of the worse things for college basketball right now.
            It’s probably a terrible idea.

whatever idea you hate the most is the one the NCAA will probably go with...

Comment

• im4wsu
              im4wsu commented
              Editing a comment
              I think this triggered my meter

• Since the FBI is involved, if the NCAA as a governing body doesn’t take action, could they get in trouble for willful negligence?
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• The way the article read was that all of the information gathered may not be turned over the the ncaa at all. I would think the ncaa would love this since they would not have to rule or punish anyone. Of course what the fbi does with the information is anyones guess.

Comment

• im4wsu
                im4wsu commented
                Editing a comment
                Even if the FBI "turned it over," that is merely saying "made it available." The NCAA could choose to not accept the information.

• Originally posted by shock View Post
              Since the FBI is involved, if the NCAA as a governing body doesn’t take action, could they get in trouble for willful negligence?
              I think James Comey has established that willful negligence is not a crime. More seriously I don't think the FBI really cares what the NCAA does as a governing body as long as they weren't knowing participants in criminal actvities.

Comment

• “Knowing participants”
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Defiant and wounded, Rick Pitino insists he did nothing wrong — and wants back in

Comment

• Instead of paying players to go to Miami and Louisville, he kept the money. The FBI let him go.

Comment

• BREAKING NEWS:

Comment

• Being reported that KU was defrauded. What happened? Did they pay Adidas with the understanding a player would be delivered and that player went somewhere else?

Early indications are that Josh Jackson's family did well and DeSosa was a "surprise signing" after Adidas came through.
                        Last edited by Aargh; April 10, 2018, 05:09 PM.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• im4wsu
                          im4wsu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          no Message
                          Last edited by im4wsu; April 10, 2018, 06:28 PM.

• “Nothing to see here. Move along.” - NCAA probably
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                          “Nothing to see here. Move along.” - NCAA probably
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                          X