NBC News: "The FBI Has Arrested Several NCAA Assistant Basketball Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    Bill Self was interviewed and he talked about the situation and said he totally trust his assistants. There is another article said there had been no contact with the FBI - of course that was on Tuesday.....
    So, he went straight to the Pitino defense?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      The Eagle reporting that KU’s adidas deal is worth $191 mill over 14 yrs. that can buy a lot of players at $100k per guy.
      I read an article yesterday which said Louisville's number. If I remember right, it was 160 over ten years. If I'm doing my math correctly, that means Louisville's contract is higher per year. Undoubtedly, a larger share of Louisville's contract relates at least somewhat to football, but we're still talking about lots of money for basketball.

Comment

The Eagle reporting that KU’s adidas deal is worth $191 mill over 14 yrs. that can buy a lot of players at $100k per guy.
        I think you mean the KC Star rather than The Eagle. The Eagle Sports Department is a copy/paste kind of satellite newspaper for KC. Jesse Newell is the beat reporter for KU, works for KC Star, lives in Lawrence and is a KU alum.

I'm not a big Bill Self fan. However, if he somehow avoids all of this mess, I will certainly give him ONE tip of the hat.

Correction: if he or his program is found not involved.
        Last edited by Veritas; September 29, 2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          I read an article yesterday which said Louisville's number. If I remember right, it was 160 over ten years. If I'm doing my math correctly, that means Louisville's contract is higher per year. Undoubtedly, a larger share of Louisville's contract relates at least somewhat to football, but we're still talking about lots of money for basketball.
          While the length of some of the top contracts varied, I believe all of them included football. I'm not sure if it also included Olympic sports as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
            While the length of some of the top contracts varied, I believe all of them included football. I'm not sure if it also included Olympic sports as well.
            Yeah, but I'm saying adding Louisville's football team to the contract probably made theirs ​higher.

Comment

• At some point there’s got to be a list of a whole slew of players and recruits declared ineligible to compete in college basketball. That should make for some interesting reading.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                I think you mean the KC Star rather than The Eagle. The Eagle Sports Department is a copy/paste kind of satellite newspaper for KC. Jesse Newell is the beat reporter for KU, works for KC Star, lives in Lawrence and is a KU alum.
                Exactly. I seldom look at it these days but when I have it seems to be focusing much more on KU and less on WSU as Kansas City tries to ram the Jayhawks down our throats. Actually they probably truly believe that Wichita is more interested in the flagship than the little school in town.

Comment

At some point there’s got to be a list of a whole slew of players and recruits declared ineligible to compete in college basketball. That should make for some interesting reading.
                  The FBI won't do that. We'll have to wait for the NCAA to declare players ineligible. I'm confident they will ban the ones that can't be avoided because the FBI will name them. After that the NCAA will have to do their investigation of any other players involved, and that could take enough years for those players to safely finish their college careers.

At that time the NCAA will tell those schools not to do that any more and put them on blue blood probation. That means that if any of those schools get caught cheating in any way for the next 6 months or so they will get a stern lecture from the NCAA.

Edit: After I wrote my thoughts on how the NCAA would react to their darlings getting in trouble something else occurred to me. What if the FBI finds the NCAA was complicit in all of this? They saw, they knew, they looked away, they did nothing.
                  Last edited by Aargh; September 29, 2017, 08:04 AM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    The FBI won't do that. We'll have to wait for the NCAA to declare players ineligible. I'm confident they will ban the ones that can't be avoided because the FBI will name them. After that the NCAA will have to do their investigation of any other players involved, and that could take enough years for those players to safely finish their college careers.

At that time the NCAA will tell those schools not to do that any more and put them on blue blood probation. That means that if any of those schools get caught cheating in any way for the next 6 months or so they will get a stern lecture from the NCAA.

Edit: After I wrote my thoughts on how the NCAA would react to their darlings getting in trouble something else occurred to me. What if the FBI finds the NCAA was complicit in all of this. They saw, they knew, they looked away, they did nothing?
                    In regards to the players, my guess is, the schools will refuse to play any player suspected of taking part in this for fear of future sanctions by the NCAA.

Comment

• This could be a very interesting NCAA tournament with many notables missing. Hell, the Valley may get 2 teams in with all the ineligible teams.
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                        This could be a very interesting NCAA tournament with many notables missing. Hell, the Valley may get 2 teams in with all the ineligible teams.
                        Drake: "So you're saying there's a chance..."

Comment

• I hope there is an NJCAA investigation as well. That organization is a mob
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                            Drake: "So you're saying there's a chance..."
                            Drake is Flounder?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                              This could be a very interesting NCAA tournament with many notables missing. Hell, the Valley may get 2 teams in with all the ineligible teams.
                              Let's not get crazy here.

Comment

• For all you KU fans out there, the FBI is looking at the Recruitment of Zion Williamson from South Carolina by Addidas to get him to go to KU.

Comment

Working...
                                X