NBC News: "The FBI Has Arrested Several NCAA Assistant Basketball Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Also of note .. apparently all of the other Top 10 5* prospects turn down 100k plus to go to UK, KU and Duke each year ...
    Their moms are probably just not as adept at negotiating.

Comment

My understanding is this scheme targeted sure-fire future NBA'ers. While the university relationships are clearly beneficial to the shoe companies, what Adidas/Nike/UA really want are the stars. 5-stars. McD AAs. Likely lottery picks. That's where the real money is at, should those players become the next NBA scoring champ. I doubt any 4-stars are seeing big bucks here. The coaches are just the conduits who are willing to cheat for a Final Four or championship.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        My understanding is this scheme targeted sure-fire future NBA'ers. While the university relationships are clearly beneficial to the shoe companies, what Adidas/Nike/UA really want are the stars. 5-stars. McD AAs. Likely lottery picks. That's where the real money is at, should those players become the next NBA scoring champ. I doubt any 4-stars are seeing big bucks here. The coaches are just the conduits who are willing to cheat for a Final Four or championship.
        Absolutely agree. This was all in hush hush. Does no good for shoe company to fund getting a three or four star recruit to a school when they can't advertise/market/profit from it. They want the one and done guaranteed NBA player they can sign and market after college.

Comment

I understand that this goes on but it really is quite sad that in so many circles it business as usual. The rich in talent have to stay rich in talent to keep their jobs and keep the alumni happy so they can continue to write the big checks so they can live out their pitiful lives through "winning" student athletes.

Comment

Perhaps this will be the end of requiring these kids to attend a Year (more like a semester) of college. Let 'em capitalize on their talent and go pro.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Perhaps this will be the end of requiring these kids to attend a Year (more like a semester) of college. Let 'em capitalize on their talent and go pro.
              That's an NBA rule, not college. NBA wants to move to two years so they spend less money to develop these guys and less likely to guess wrong on the next big star. Using college as a minor league system.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                That's an NBA rule, not college. NBA wants to move to two years so they spend less money to develop these guys and less likely to guess wrong on the next big star. Using college as a minor league system.
                I understand. But this is also an FBI investigation and not an NCAA investigation so who knows how far the tenticles will reach. Although I do think the NBA guys are probalby smart enough to have stayed out of this. However, that doesn't mean changes can't or won't be made by the NCAA to try to address major college football and basketball.

It is really hard to predict where this will end up but it has the potential to be a catalyst for significant changes. Maybe that won't happen but I just don't seeing this going away quietly into the night. But I've been wrong before. Many times.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 26, 2017, 03:24 PM.

Comment

If the NCAA comes down too hard on the offending schools, it may also be what prompts the autonomous-5 to bolt entirely from under the NCAA umbrella.

Comment

One of the coaches arrested was Lamont Evans at Oklahoma State (apparently for his time at South Carolina). Wonder if that will have any trickle down to the current Oklahoma State team. Could we be looking at a possible hole in our non-con schedule now?

Obviously still early on in investigations, but thought just occurred to me.
                    Three things in life are constant- death, taxes, and Creighton losing in the first weekend of the tournament.

AAC or Bust!

Comment

I have no doubt about this. Makes you wonder what KU paid for guys like Xavier Henry and Andrew Wiggins

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        I have no doubt about this. Makes you wonder what KU paid for guys like Xavier Henry and Andrew Wiggins
                        I can completely understand this thought process, but I really am trying not to think of the Wiggins family that way until I have to.
                        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

If the NCAA comes down too hard on the offending schools, it may also be what prompts the autonomous-5 to bolt entirely from under the NCAA umbrella.
                          This is what concerns me a little.

Comment

Interesting reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Lots of rumblings on this. There is rumors that there is still a big announcement yet to come today. KU is the main big Adidas school without anything mentioned.

Then there is this "There's been just 1 KU 1st rd pick not to sign with Adidas. Wiggins, Embiid, Oubre, Diallo,Thomas Robinson, all adidas"

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                Lots of rumblings on this. There is rumors that there is still a big announcement yet to come today. KU is the main big Adidas school without anything mentioned.

Then there is this "There's been just 1 KU 1st rd pick not to sign with Adidas. Wiggins, Embiid, Oubre, Diallo,Thomas Robinson, all adidas"
                                The most recent, Josh Jackson, went with Under Armour. I do think KU will hear their name mentioned with this.

Comment

Working...
                                X