Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I think this guy may be right.

When a system has billions of dollars flowing into it — and the NCAA’s contract with CBS and Turner Sports for the NCAA tournament alone is worth $8.8 billion through 2032 — and yet has a major part of the workforce that is unpaid, well, then, how is this not the end result?
    Definitely. The most sensational of the allegations is the kid who got paid $100k to go to Louisville, but the other allegations are probably way more common. If Adidas gives a $150k budget to a high school AAU team and basically says "we're starting to pinch pennies. Maybe if you started sending your players to only Adidas schools we wouldn't have to cut your budget." Is that illegal? If it is illegal, how do you prove any of it?

I've always kind of leaned toward paying college athletes, but this certainly highlights that money is always going to be an issue. If it's legal to give the 18 year olds money, there's still going to be shady money involved in recruiting the 15 or 16 year olds.

Comment

• Rick Pitino: "These allegations come as a complete shock to me"

On Tuesday evening, ten hours after a criminal investigation into corruption in college basketball yielded a thinly-veiled reference to a $100,000 payment that was brokered by Louisville coaches from Adidas to current Louisville freshman Brian Bowen, head coach Rick Pitino finally released a…

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        I have some friends that actually live pretty close to that area. I should send them a snarky comment, asking if they have seen the shredder truck.
        Do you possess comments that are not snarky?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          Definitely. The most sensational of the allegations is the kid who got paid $100k to go to Louisville, but the other allegations are probably way more common. If Adidas gives a $150k budget to a high school AAU team and basically says "we're starting to pinch pennies. Maybe if you started sending your players to only Adidas schools we wouldn't have to cut your budget." Is that illegal? If it is illegal, how do you prove any of it?

I've always kind of leaned toward paying college athletes, but this certainly highlights that money is always going to be an issue. If it's legal to give the 18 year olds money, there's still going to be shady money involved in recruiting the 15 or 16 year olds.
          Jd. You certainly a consistent liberal and not just politically. 😀

This money isn't just going to the players and their parents. It's going to coaches who have influence over them. That won't change if college players become pros in college. Corruption will continue at those schools who recruit these top pro players. The answer is to allow these 5* players to go from high school to the NBA.

Comment

• Sounds like Pitino is all but gone. Rumors he met with his staff and advised them he believes he will be losing his job.

Comment

• So...

If you want to know all the schools involved, just look at ouf non con schedule.

This is how our SOS gets blown up this year.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Here's the news that no one is surprised about.

Louisville expected to fire Rick Pitino today following fraud and corruption scandal

Comment

• Pitino is gone. It was decided almost immediately.

For all the "Doug Compton" talk, keep in mind that none of the people implicated in this scandal were boosters - which I think is important.
                  The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Just another example of money ruining something good. Always glad to hear that some of the outrageous money ordinary people pay for majorly overpriced shoes and apparel goes to funding select AAU teams/players/players families! Can I use my receipt for a tax write-off as a donation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boss1786 View Post
                      Just another example of money ruining something good. Always glad to hear that some of the outrageous money ordinary people pay for majorly overpriced shoes and apparel goes to funding select AAU teams/players/players families! Can I use my receipt for a tax write-off as a donation?
                      I liked the part of the indictment that talked about Augustine, the AAU guy, having a 501 (c)(3), so the money they laundered through his setup would be tax deductible. But if I claim a deduction for a donation to my church, I had darn well better have the canceled checks.

Comment

• Now we know why the top prospects out of HS go to college for a year instead of playing pro in Euro for a year. They get paid better to go to a college that wears the "right" shoes.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• lol someone just mentioned on the radio that Gregg Marshall is already on the short list for Louisville when Pitino is officially fired. (per Louisville sources).

Maybe 5 years ago before these scandals. Louisville should be given the death penalty and that crosses Gregg out.

Comment

• Yeah, Louisville will probably have a tough time finding a good college coach. Tough break, you bastards.

Comment

• With all the death penalties, could this be the onus for the next round of realignment?

LOL!
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I expect it will be a bit like Baylor after Briles was fired. They'll pony up huge $$$ and will be silently turned down by about 40 candidates before settling on a decent but not mindblowing mid-major coach.

It revolts me to type this but I will be blown away if they actually receive the death penalty. The NCAA has no spine or credibility remaining and, despite this being teed up high with a 45 mile an hour tailwind, will not take out the driver.

Comment

Working...
                                X