Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Flaming Burning Stinking & Predictable Disaster that is Creighton Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
    Creighton has a lot of lawyers and doctors. Yes not undergrad programs but that is the academic fields they are known for in these parts.
    You're talking about a miniscule proportion of annual CU graduates there. I don't know what specific volume that a small med school and small law school like CU's pumps out on an annual basis, but I'm sure it could be easily counted in integrals of 10, probably on one hand, combined. It is not as if the undergrad side exists to pump through participants to the med school and law school at a ratio of 1:1. You could probably fit everyone that annually graduates from CU's med and law schools, that also did undergrad there, into one of those sweet 80's conversion vans.

I was referring to the inane types spending $180K to major in something that might pay $25K or $30K starting salary, when they could have went to a state school and spent $30K or $40K, majored in something useful, in order to make a starting salary of $55K or $70K. Of course one of those tracks is a hell of a lot more work, and not in the same direction a Blowjay would like to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      You're talking about a miniscule proportion of annual CU graduates there. I don't know what specific volume that a small med school and small law school like CU's pumps out on an annual basis, but I'm sure it could be easily counted in integrals of 10, probably on one hand, combined. It is not as if the undergrad side exists to pump through participants to the med school and law school at a ratio of 1:1. You could probably fit everyone that annually graduates from CU's med and law schools, that also did undergrad there, into one of those sweet 80's conversion vans.

I was referring to the inane types spending $180K to major in something that might pay $25K or $30K starting salary, when they could have went to a state school and spent $30K or $40K, majored in something useful, in order to make a starting salary of $55K or $70K. Of course one of those tracks is a hell of a lot more work, and not in the same direction a Blowjay would like to believe.
      Like this Creighton graduate who majored in Food Science:

Last edited by shoxlax; April 15, 2015, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        If a thread on a Shocker fan message board making fun of the demise of a former rival makes you want to barf, maybe you need a tougher stomach.

Seriously, the "Hey everyone, please adjust everything you do to accommodate ME" attitude of some is just beyond irritating. Nobody is being offensive or out of line here. It is simply some lighthearted humor. The word "tolerate" is way overused in today's society, but in this case, it actually applies. If you don't like it, don't read it. As for it showing on the main page, if you are an adult, tolerating something so minor as seeing the thread title shouldn't be too much to ask.

Dang Thread Naz.... Ahhh, nevermind.
        Yes seeing the thread use the proper spelling and giving them so much attentio (good or bad) is repulsive for a Shocker fan forum. Most of the posts recently sure isn't making fun of them enough. So I propose a compromise. Change the name of the thread to "The Flaming Burning Stinking and Predictable Disaster that is SCUM Basketball". But I still feel we are giving them way too much attention.

Comment

• shoxlax, where's your link? I want to see a funny picture.

Comment

• I've said it before and I'll say it again. This Creighton thread wouldn't be as big as it is if they didn't supply it with mass amounts of material. It has been glorious. Instead of us figuring out how to quit being immature and adding to it, Creighton just needs to figure out how to stop giving us the goods. This thread will fade away the moment they cease to be a "Flaming, Burning, Stinking and Predictable Disaster."

Comment

• What the hell did I start? All I was doing was pointing out that Creighton doesn't differentiate tuition rates based on Nebraska residency. No more, no less. Let's pretend my post on instate tuition never happened.
              Last edited by MoValley John; April 15, 2015, 04:28 PM.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• So, it's probably the children of Creighton grads, doctors and lawyers kids, who go to Creighton. That would explain a lot. It certainly lays a solid basis for the arrogant, elitist attitude of some of their fans. It's the "I'm entitled to EVERYTHING, and so obviously better than you, because my Daddy is rich" syndrome.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                  I wasn't clear about my point, but here it is. I would think there would be preference given to Creighton undergrads going to the medical school (maybe not much of a break, given the competition for getting into a good medical school), but all other things being equal, it might sway the scale.
                  So, if you want to go to Creoghton Medical School, you better be a CU undergrad or just brilliant! 80% of the med school is made up of CU matriculates. Not a CU grad and want to get your MD? You have to have THREE letters of recommendation from CU MDs.

I went to school with some CU grads that DIDN'T get in to CUSM, and they were excellent students. Certainly one of the more difficult private medical schools to be accepted.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    So, if you want to go to Creoghton Medical School, you better be a CU undergrad or just brilliant! 80% of the med school is made up of CU matriculates. Not a CU grad and want to get your MD? You have to have THREE letters of recommendation from CU MDs.

I went to school with some CU grads that DIDN'T get in to CUSM, and they were excellent students. Certainly one of the more difficult private medical schools to be accepted.
                    I think my meter is way off but these can't possibly be true. This shows that 91.6% of their matriculants come from out of state, and this shows that CU's MCAT Profile (Average of 30 on the MCAT) is below the national average of 31.4 for matriculants.

Not that you don't have to be smart to be admitted (75-80th percentile on the MCAT is no cakewalk), but it's only a teeny fraction above the University of Arkansas from an admissions standpoint.

Their law school is lol-throw-that-application-in-the-trash level of embarrassing though, so at least the med school is not a total humiliation.

Comment

• It may have changed in the last 15 years.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                        I think my meter is way off but these can't possibly be true. This shows that 91.6% of their matriculants come from out of state, and this shows that CU's MCAT Profile (Average of 30 on the MCAT) is below the national average of 31.4 for matriculants.

Not that you don't have to be smart to be admitted (75-80th percentile on the MCAT is no cakewalk), but it's only a teeny fraction above the University of Arkansas from an admissions standpoint.

Their law school is lol-throw-that-application-in-the-trash level of embarrassing though, so at least the med school is not a total humiliation.
                        Oh, now now... you hush with that fact-ing and truth-ing on the sacred Harvard of Omaha.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                          That was probably real funny until you realized you were missing a testicle.
                          And whats really funny was it was a knee operation.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                            I wasn't clear about my point, but here it is. I would think there would be preference given to Creighton undergrads going to the medical school (maybe not much of a break, given the competition for getting into a good medical school), but all other things being equal, it might sway the scale.

That being said, I agree about the $36K being a meh deal. I have an acquaintance who sent his daughter to Georgetown to study architecture (just for reference, my kid went to U of H). From the numbers being thrown around here and looking at Yahoo, it is about $44K per year to go to Georgetown.

I think I'd say to hell with Creighton, we're going to Georgetown (unless I was a premed).
                            I would not let my grandson attend Georgetown.
                            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                              I would not let my grandson attend Georgetown.
                              And I'd bet if you had a grandson who wanted to go to Creighton, you'd probably say 'over my dead body.'

Friends don't let friends go to Creighton😀😀😀

Comment

• I always thought Creighton was mostly know for its School of Dentistry.

Comment

Working...
                                X