X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCONN_Husky
    replied
    Rothstein:

"Sources: The Atlantic 10 and Mountain West have had initial discussions on an annual "challenge" between the two conferences. MVC/MWC Challenge ends after this season."

MVC fans not pleased.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Originally posted by WstateU View Post
    I miss me some Barry!!!

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied
    Gotta love Barry!

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    It was. I headlined the effort of calling SIU, SIU-C back in the day to trigger the locals into feeling all directional-satellite'ish. But make no mistake, back when I led that campaign, SIU-C was the main campus and it wasn't even close.

T

...:cool:

• SHOCKvalue
    replied
    And to think I always thought that SIU-E was the little brother satellite campus. Those enrollment drops are a massive problem.

Strange days in the SIU system.

Leave a comment:

• WuShock16
    commented on 's reply
    SIU was great because they got a bunch tough, nasty warriors who played with so much grit. Darren Brooks, Randall Falker, Jamaal Tatum, cats like that...

Then, because of said success, they seemed to get players who were more talented but didn't have the same toughness. Thus, it went downhill quickly. I remember a early-season tournament when SIU played Duke in 2008ish. I remember thinking, "No way does SIU get away with all the crap they normally do in this game. They'll get called for 7,000 fouls."

• RoyalShock
    replied
    Aargh, I've seen that sub-1000 incoming students number a few places as well. SIU enrollment has been in decline since 1991. They are only half the size now that they were then.

SIUC enrollment drops 12 percent

Enrollment is continuing a steep decline at Southern Illinois University’s Carbondale campus, with nearly 12 percent fewer students this fall semester.

The drop to 12,817 students in 2018 follows enrollment declines of 7.5 percent in 2016 and 9 percent in 2017. The Southern Illinoisan reports the Carbondale enrollment about half of its 1991 peak of 24,869 students.

The university’s Edwardsville campus reported a 3.7 percent enrollment drop to 13,281 students.

The Carbondale campus saw a nearly 20-percent smaller incoming class.
    I've read concerns that their medical programs will get moved to the Edwardsville campus, effectively neutering the Carbondale campus.

Leave a comment:

• C0|dB|00ded
    commented on 's reply
    I feel bad for the Ugly Dawgs. There was a time when I hated them with a passion. Some of the hate was born out of fear. Very cocky bunch those kids were when they came to Koch Arena. Manhandled is an understatement.

T

...:cool:

• 1972Shocker
    commented on 's reply
    This should take care of it:

“One of the things we added this year was the sale of beer and wine at athletic events, hoping that we could generate some new revenue and try to close the gap that way,” Scally said.

• Aargh
    replied
    This is from May. I just ran across it and didn't see it posted.

SIU's athletic department is $26 mill in debt and hemorrhaging cash at a rate approaching $3 mill a year. Half their athletic budget comes from student fees. Not in the article, but enrollment is way down at SIU and they enrolled less than 1,000 Fr this year (I did not fact check this, multiple sources "looked legitimate".)

Scroll down a ways and there's an interesting graphic. It shows Net Gain/Loss for some MVC schools in 2015-'16 (Including WSU). Not surprising many schools (and fans) and probably Elgin were happy to see WSU leave the conference

https://dailyegyptian.com/79417/more...of-26-million/

Leave a comment:

• AndShock
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cdizzle
    replied
    Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    It also seems that the (former) AD was asking for identification of certain posters on the message board. I wish I had gone to their message board in its final days. The appearance that's been created is that the (former) AD took on Barry and the message board and lost.
    Not quite. 98% of that message board want(ed) Hinson gone, including the admins. It's a very weird deal, but as always with salukitalk, it was fantastic entertainment.

Leave a comment:

• Aargh
    replied
    It also seems that the (former) AD was asking for identification of certain posters on the message board. I wish I had gone to their message board in its final days. The appearance that's been created is that the (former) AD took on Barry and the message board and lost.

Leave a comment:

• DUShock
    commented on 's reply
    So the President fired the AD for trying to fire Hinson & for raising funds to buy out Barry's contract. But, former AD Britches claims he was only doing what he was told to do. Weirdness is the prevailing wind in Carbondale but it seems they love Barry.

• AndShock
    replied
    Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
    Tommy Bell is being replaced, effective immediately, as the AD at Southern Illinois. Hmmm...did he get too big for his britches? Or was it that he wasn't big enough for his britches? Hmmm...

Of local note, Cheney native Jerry Kill, a former football coach at SIU, is taking over in that role.

This is also all somehow tied into the SalukiNation board being shut down. I can’t even begin to comprehend the whole story let alone do it justice but there is some crazy stuff going down in Carbondale.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X