American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    A large in state population to recruit from is not there, true enough. On the other hand, we would have one of the best junior college conferences in the nation to draw from.
    I hear that as a selling point a lot. However, (and this is not a knock on these guys its just true) There is a reason most of them go to JC. You can fill gaps with diamonds in the rough from JC but you can't build a program on it. Plus, the guys who do end up hitting it big at JC, be it in Kansas or not, get recruited by the same power players I mentioned earlier, so you are back at square 1.

To offer an alternative, I really like the idea of adding Men's and Women's Soccer. Roughly the same season as football, could sell it to recruits as being THE show in the fall term.
    Last edited by WUpigsooie; December 18, 2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
      I hear that as a selling point a lot. However, (and this is not a knock on these guys its just true) There is a reason most of them go to JC. You can fill gaps with diamonds in the rough from JC but you can't build a program on it. Plus, the guys who do end up hitting it big at JC, be it in Kansas or not, get recruited by the same power players I mentioned earlier, so you are back at square 1.

To offer an alternative, I really like the idea of adding Men's and Women's Soccer. Roughly the same season as football, could sell it to recruits as being THE show in the fall term.
      And what kind of attendance figures would you expect for men's soccer?
      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

My guess is no one's counting on it being a revenue sport. The difference is the much lower cost associated with men's and women's soccer, and lower necessity of additional space/real estate.

Soccer's growing popularity would definitely be a plus. It obviously wouldn't be near the draw that football is in the fall, but it requires significantly less capital.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• FTR, I would love both soccer and football (although I'm not sure how we'd have adequate space for both at this time). I just think soccer is a much more realistic possibility.

And the "no one cares about soccer" jokes are always original.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              My guess is no one's counting on it being a revenue sport. The difference is the much lower cost associated with men's and women's soccer, and lower necessity of additional space/real estate.

Soccer's growing popularity would definitely be a plus. It obviously wouldn't be near the draw that football is in the fall, but it requires significantly less capital.
              My only point is that it would not be a "rally the students and alumni" type of event.
              Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJShocker10 View Post
                Don't knock it till you've tried it..... I mean... Yeah I agree 100% with this statement.
                If you try it, don't you have to knock it?

Comment

My only point is that it would not be a "rally the students and alumni" type of event.
                  No, you're absolutely right, it's not. But in the absence of football, I would definitely be behind soccer as something to do/watch on campus in the fall.

Comment

• Sorry, one more soccer cliché...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      That's me in the red.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

For mens? 5k to 7k if we are decent at all. More if we are really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          Take down the steel structure and leave the old Veterans field seats. Keep the track and the field will be the new home to the championship soccer team at Kung Wu field. Annex Fairmount park and raze some of the less desirable homes surrounding the park and build the new Innovative Stadium.
                          Damn straight. I'm sitting on the bench if we get soccer going, one way or the other. Even if that means handing out water.

Comment

• FYI , cost to start up soccer per Previous AD ES
                            750k per men's and women with no Title 9 issues and does not include cost of stadium.
                            Cost for Football 13M + from what I have seen to do it "right", you will have title 9 issues and more for stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by KraRam View Post
                              FYI , cost to start up soccer per Previous AD ES
                              750k per men's and women with no Title 9 issues and does not include cost of stadium.
                              Cost for Football 13M + from what I have seen to do it "right", you will have title 9 issues and more for stadium.
                              Is 13m start up cost? Because they raised 15m for the Cessna Stadium / Koch Arena renovation coming up. So I kind of find it hard to believe that 15m just to renovate those facilities with expanded weight rooms, classrooms, and track facilities is 2m more than what it would cost to start football. That seems extremely low.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• $13 mil. was the cost to maintain a D1 football program annualy? I think that's what the article referenced. Could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X