• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My KU Troll Radar is beeping.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Creighton leaves so what? The MVC isn't going anywhere. The whole argument is wrong that being a top dog will be won by default if Creighton leaves. The competition is always going to be there. *edit* The valley always has a lot of tough teams.
      Last edited by Schnapper; December 19, 2012, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• I do not believe there is BCS conference with three teams from the same State, except the PAC12. (The San Fran Bay schools being hundreds of miles from the LA Schools)

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
          I do not believe there is BCS conference with three teams from the same State, except the PAC12. (The San Fran Bay schools being hundreds of miles from the LA Schools)
          Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and Texas in the Big 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
            I do not believe there is BCS conference with three teams from the same State, except the PAC12. (The San Fran Bay schools being hundreds of miles from the LA Schools)
            The ACC has 4 teams from North Carolina and they are not all that far apart: No. Carolina, No. Carolina St, Wake Forest and Duke.

Comment

• Also the Big East has 3 members from Pennsylvania although that will change soon (Pitt, Temple and Villanova).

Comment

• Yes, yes, yes, I missed the obvious. I assume folks see the difference b/t Texas, North Carolina and Kansas. WSU ain't going to the Big 12. I believe that as all of the conference realignment sorts out, you will not see two schools from one state as a package deal. KU and KSU aren't going to the B1G for example. UNC and NC State to the Big 10 etc.

If conferences were being put together today, Wake Forest would be **** out of luck, I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schnapper View Post
                  Creighton leaves so what? The MVC isn't going anywhere. The whole argument is wrong that being a top dog will be won by default if Creighton leaves. The competition is always going to be there. *edit* The valley always has a lot of tough teams.
                  The problem with Creighton leaving isn't the RPI hit, but the stability lost. If they leave, it makes UNI and Illinois State look to leave.

Comment

• UNI and ISU have been entertaining leaving before all of this. If CU goes, they're going to look even harder. I know we'd love to leave, but we don't seem to have the options of some of the others. ISU and UNI have football and CU has their Catholic affiliation to help. If CU leaves and we're stuck in this hell hole, then there's no reason we shouldn't dominate the league. That's not to say that on occasion that a ISU or Bradley or someone couldn't rise up, but I'm not sure anyone can have the consistency of a CU or WSU. This league is going to take a major PR hit as well and we'll add another piss poor school near the other poor sisters to only weaken the conference.

We have two hopes right now. One, hope that the C7 isn't opposed to a couple of public schools and goes to 14 or 16 and that we and VCU get in. Two, hope that the MWC wants to have someone fill the void Hawaii presents. Otherwise, we're stuck with Elgin and the gang.

And as far as the new C7 conference compared to the BE, when you look at likely teams to be involved, the C7 will be a stronger conference in basketball. They'll get a good TV deal and be just fine and make plenty of money. And some of those schools listed above may actually come back to relevance since they're not going to be burried in what the BE was. Like it or not, that was one of the deepest and toughest conferenecs in the nation for many years.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      UNI and ISU have been entertaining leaving before all of this. If CU goes, they're going to look even harder. I know we'd love to leave, but we don't seem to have the options of some of the others. ISU and UNI have football and CU has their Catholic affiliation to help. If CU leaves and we're stuck in this hell hole, then there's no reason we shouldn't dominate the league. That's not to say that on occasion that a ISU or Bradley or someone couldn't rise up, but I'm not sure anyone can have the consistency of a CU or WSU. This league is going to take a major PR hit as well and we'll add another piss poor school near the other poor sisters to only weaken the conference.

We have two hopes right now. One, hope that the C7 isn't opposed to a couple of public schools and goes to 14 or 16 and that we and VCU get in. Two, hope that the MWC wants to have someone fill the void Hawaii presents. Otherwise, we're stuck with Elgin and the gang.

And as far as the new C7 conference compared to the BE, when you look at likely teams to be involved, the C7 will be a stronger conference in basketball. They'll get a good TV deal and be just fine and make plenty of money. And some of those schools listed above may actually come back to relevance since they're not going to be burried in what the BE was. Like it or not, that was one of the deepest and toughest conferenecs in the nation for many years.
                      I think the most likely thing at this point is that we stay with the MVC. A depleted A-10 is no upgrade and the travel costs would be horrible, and the MWC is focusing on football schools.

That doesn't mean that at some point, we will find ourselves in the Big East conference. What I think is going to happen is that they are going to form a conference with Xavier, Butler, and Dayton/Saint Louis/Creighton. That conference will disappoint them from a basketball perspective. I think said conference would have 4 decent teams right now, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, and Butler, and none of those teams look like title contenders. At that time, we'll see the Big East look to expand based around the top basketball teams available, with less restrictions on markets and geography.

Our best bet is to continue funding a quality program that wins the MVC and goes to the NCAA tournament almost every year. If we can show that we are a competitive team every year, we'll be a candidate. Even if we are stuck in a bad conference, we can be a good program.

Comment

UNI and ISU have been entertaining leaving before all of this. If CU goes, they're going to look even harder. I know we'd love to leave, but we don't seem to have the options of some of the others. ISU and UNI have football and CU has their Catholic affiliation to help. If CU leaves and we're stuck in this hell hole, then there's no reason we shouldn't dominate the league. That's not to say that on occasion that a ISU or Bradley or someone couldn't rise up, but I'm not sure anyone can have the consistency of a CU or WSU. This league is going to take a major PR hit as well and we'll add another piss poor school near the other poor sisters to only weaken the conference.

I might add, that if we do dominate, it will be without HCGM and will it be tougher to find that top quailty replacement to guide us if he takes his staff with him. Without CU, this conference drops out of the top 10 conferences.

Comment

• I'd rather be a good program in a good conference with more money than a good program in a bad conference where all money depends on us. The BE is NOT going to invite nonfootball schools. They just broke up because of that. The C7 and Company will be a very strong conference. Probably a Top 5 conference most every year. I believe Sagarin ran some numbers that essentially would have put the expected conference at #3 I believe over the last 11 years or so. Georgetown, Butler, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, SLU, Dayton makes for a solid core to build upon. DePaul could make progress, could, and I wouldn't count Nova or St. John's out. And if they pick up St. Joe's as well, you're looking at at least 4 bids a year if not more. The A10 will be losing bids as will the MVC. The BE isn't going to be near the player they've been in the past, especially once UConn and Cincy leave.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'd rather be a good program in a good conference with more money than a good program in a bad conference where all money depends on us. The BE is NOT going to invite nonfootball schools. They just broke up because of that. The C7 and Company will be a very strong conference. Probably a Top 5 conference most every year. I believe Sagarin ran some numbers that essentially would have put the expected conference at #3 I believe over the last 11 years or so. Georgetown, Butler, Xavier, Marquette, Creighton, SLU, Dayton makes for a solid core to build upon. DePaul could make progress, could, and I wouldn't count Nova or St. John's out. And if they pick up St. Joe's as well, you're looking at at least 4 bids a year if not more. The A10 will be losing bids as will the MVC. The BE isn't going to be near the player they've been in the past, especially once UConn and Cincy leave.
                            I was referring to the C7 Big East. The problem is, I don't think the Big East programs want to go beyond 10 teams at this point. My point was that I don't think they will stay at 10 teams. If they go to 14-16 teams, you have a top 2 conference instead of a top 5 conference, and I think that will merit further expansion.

We have to keep Marshall no matter what, and continue playing to win the conference every year, regardless of what happens in realignment. Of course, our AD should be pressing for an upgrade as hard as humanly possibly, but if we don't go in the first round to the C7 we need to stay good enough to get picked in round 2.

Comment

• If they institute the HAIL MARY 5 - pt. play (shot beyond half court)that should keep them happy for awhile.They would be allowed to deduct one foul for every Hail Mary shot made , and use rosary beads to keep track of their personal fouls instead. The up side for the Catholic league is that they would fill up the seats in a hurry with all of their children.

Comment

The C7 and Company will be a very strong conference. Probably a Top 5 conference most every year.
                                The question in my mind is will the Big Priest conference allow non-private schools in?
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X