American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    Entertaining thread -- I like the "Big Priest" conference. Also, who knew SubGod was such a babe? I always pictured him as a guy in overalls and a plaid shirt.
    The big priest! I really hope they go with that name. Or maybe they keep it at 7 schools and call it the conference on 7 hills.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      Entertaining thread -- I like the "Big Priest" conference. Also, who knew SubGod was such a babe? I always pictured him as a guy in overalls and a plaid shirt.
      I figured he'd be taller.
      Last edited by DoubleJayAlum; December 15, 2012, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• eye

Comment

• Someone on MVCFANS claims CU is gone (which i really do think they will be part of new 12-14 catholic league) but the real kicker is they are claiming EU to the Horizon as well.

I guess thats like getting bent over but lube is included:)

Comment

• UE to the Horizon would be fine with me- it would remove any choice to stay put for Bardo/Sexton and force us to make a move. UNI and Illinois State are shopping around like crazy I'm sure.

Comment

• I am not sure why UE would want to leave and give up the ncaa basketball money same for Cu for that matter. And if I were one of the Big East 7 I don't think I would want to expand beyond maybe 1 more school (an even 8) because of all the issues with their ncaa money and having to split the past money with another team. That additional team would have to be a sure fire bet to get to the ncaas and add a good TV market. Maybe Cu fits that bill. But I am not sure.

Eventually that new league may want to expand to 12 or more, but I can't believe they will start off with that many. The first couple of years they will just be sharing some of their Big East carryover ncaa money with extra mouths to feed and I just don't see it happening. But what do I know.

Comment

• BTW- I hope the rumor about UE is true. I would love to see them leave. Maybe with them gone, Cu could be talked into staying. :02.47-tranquillity:

Comment

• Also if i were Cu I think I would try to join in Basketball only and try to find a way to keep the other sports in the Valley. That way they could avoid expensive trips to the east coast for their non-revenue sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                    Also if i were Cu I think I would try to join in Basketball only and try to find a way to keep the other sports in the Valley. That way they could avoid expensive trips to the east coast for their non-revenue sports.
                    The Western division will be made up of Creighton, Marquette, DePaul, Saint Louis, and probably Dayton, Xavier. That's not anymore expense than traveling in the Valley plus they will make more. Trying to hold on to them via some strange partial affiliation is sad.

WSU needs to either make sure the Valley doesn't bring in anymore garbage while it also starts hitting any possible escape hatch leagues up. Who that might be I really have no clue.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                      I am not sure why UE would want to leave and give up the ncaa basketball money same for Cu for that matter. And if I were one of the Big East 7 I don't think I would want to expand beyond maybe 1 more school (an even 8) because of all the issues with their ncaa money and having to split the past money with another team. That additional team would have to be a sure fire bet to get to the ncaas and add a good TV market. Maybe Cu fits that bill. But I am not sure.

Eventually that new league may want to expand to 12 or more, but I can't believe they will start off with that many. The first couple of years they will just be sharing some of their Big East carryover ncaa money with extra mouths to feed and I just don't see it happening. But what do I know.
                      A lot of the dead weight of "a new conference" is within the 7 breaking away. Seton Hall, DePaul, Providence, St. Johns, and even Villanova of late. Adding more quality members than just one can turn them from a 2-3 bid to a 5-6 bid conference. Xavier, Butler, Creighton, VCU.

Comment

• They'll go to at least 10. 12 or more isn't out of the question if they think the money is there.

I would love for UE to leave but don't see that happening. And if CU leaves, I wouldn't be surprised to see UNI look harder into moving into the MAC and moving football up. We all know ISU wants to move football up and this could be the kick in the rear they need to try and do that. The MVC could be on its last leg if certain things happen. I pray we get out or are able to add 2-4 solid/strong programs.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• And if worse comes to worse you can bet Marshall is gone. He didn't come here to play in a one bid, 16 seed conference all over again

Comment

• In all honesty, I am praying that Creighton is in this new league. At the same time, I'm hoping that it goes to 14-16 and Wichita State is part of it. If it does go to 16, I'm somewhat confident that Wichita State makes the cut. Then we can all wish Missouri State and Evansville our very best as they go bigtime in the Horizon or Summit,
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I'm an eternal optimist and don't feel good about this at all... Bardo's 20,000 enrollment goal will quickly drop to 10,000. :(

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Take this for what it's worth, which is not very much...but I figured it was worth passing along for fun:

GoShockers89 is not well connected enough to have any inside dope on what will actually happen. However, I did have a nice lunch today with two friends who work in a BCS athletic department in my city in north carolina (there are 4 potential schools here so I'm not worried about outing anyone). One of these guys is pretty dialed in to the realignment stuff, the other not so much.

The informed friend stated that he'd heard through another friend (see...this is starting to get pretty stretched) that the Shockers and the MWC have had some contact and there is mutual interest. WSU could fill an all-sports slot that Hawaii leaves open (the Bows participate in football only in the MWC). He said the MWC is cautious on pulling the trigger on anything right now given the state of flux with BSU and SDSU w/the Big East, but the expectation is that those two will return to the conference since there's no longer much to gain by leaving.

I had never discussed realignment with him before, so it was interesting to hear his thoughts (most of which has already been speculated on in the megathread at some point). I think the biggest takeaway is that our athletic department is at least not asleep at the switch.

Comment

Working...
                                X