Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• It's fine to say the AAC might have needed us, but it should also be said that we needed the AAC. Sure we already built a name for ourselves, but to finally get some respect, we needed a stronger conference. Thank god for the mutual need!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
        It's fine to say the AAC might have needed us, but it should also be said that we needed the AAC. Sure we already built a name for ourselves, but to finally get some respect, we needed a stronger conference. Thank god for the mutual need!
        I think MUTUAL BENEFICIARIES is the key term to all of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
          What is the point in pretending it is not true? Our athletic apartment cannot afford Gregg Marshall. Where do we stack in athletic revenues and students against MVC?
          It is true, we all know, Koch is paying our coach. It's fact. OUr athletic department can't support it's endeavors without help from Koch to pay for our HC.
          I'm only going to say this once. Yes it's true that Mr. Koch generously donates to the athletic programs at WSU. Yes, he has given extra to supplement Coach Marshall's contract. He is NOT the only one, by ANY measure. He's just the most recognizable, for obvious and multiple reasons.

You're on thin ice, Larry.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            I'm only going to say this once. Yes it's true that Mr. Koch generously donates to the athletic programs at WSU. Yes, he has given extra to supplement Coach Marshall's contract. He is NOT the only one, by ANY measure. He's just the most recognizable, for obvious and multiple reasons.

This is what most people outside of the 316 (and even a lot of people in it) fail to realize. There's a TON of money and wealth in Wichita not held by people with the last name of Koch. There were quite a few people at the "pass the offering plate" event in 2015 who made tremendous financial efforts to keep Gregg here.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• And FWIW, I believe there is really only one Koch brother who is a supporter of Wichita State. I may be wrong, either way, I'm not troubled by it one way or the other. If we start parsing who gives what to whom we all might as well just go dig ourselves a hole and crawl in it.

Comment

What is the point in pretending it is not true? Our athletic apartment cannot afford Gregg Marshall. Where do we stack in athletic revenues and students against MVC?
                It is true, we all know, Koch is paying our coach. It's fact. OUr athletic department can't support it's endeavors without help from Koch to pay for our HC.
                It's the italicized portion, that is, brothers. I'm sure other Koch family members donate, but as far as I can tell, it's not any more than any other wealthy donor of any other university, including those in the Valley. Yes, Charles Koch has been instrumental, going above and beyond in his support. But the narrative that it's a joint effort of the Koch brothers I just don't think is true. It sounds good because combined they fit into the world-class wealth category and it's easy for our competition to use that as an excuse for why they can't compete and the root cause for our success.

It's lazy, which I expect from other MVC fans. But not from a university president.

Now, if I'm wrong and David or Bill Koch is bankrolling athletic endeavors at the level of Charles, then I'll withdraw my criticism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  I believe mini is correct on this one. It's not just Charles Koch, but he's probably critical in paying Marshall's salary.

As long as his name is on the building, and the building name is mentioned in a positive light in front of a lot of eyes on television, it's a good investment. It would be hard to buy the goodwill Koch gets from his investment in WSU basketball for what he spends on WSU basketball. What helps WSU helps Charles Koch.
                  From what I've heard, CK pays little to none of Gregg's salary but he does furnish a private jet for lots of trips.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Stating fact gets you on thin ice around here I guess. Quit peacocking.

Comment

Stating fact gets you on thin ice around here I guess. Quit peacocking.
                      The only person speaking without facts regarding athletic department resources is @mini-shock:. It is about time to get warmed up.

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Please, blast me for why I am factually incorrect. But if what the Wichita Eagle and the Alabama Inquirer say are true, then you are Lieutenant Daniel Kaffee
                        Because it is wrong. I talked to somebody who was in the "know" and they told me it was the Wichita business community that stepped up to keep Marshall.

Comment

• The Koch family is vital to WSU - so are several thousand others. The season ticket holders are paying WAY more than when I lived in Wichita and had season tickets. WSU athletics are built on the giving of the masses.

JQH evidently was a huge supporter of SMS and gave millions to their program. What they were and are missing is people like us who are rabid fans and are willing to donate, buy things at auctions, buy merchandise, and generally support the program. They blame it on Coach Lusk - but the bottom line is they ***** about any kind of price increase.

I will say this in defense of MSU - Although there are several mega and moderately
                          wealthy families in the Springfield area - the shear volume of wealth that Springfield has doesn't sit anywhere near Wichita's wealth.

Most people outside of Wichita don't understand the passion that we have and for the most part - have always had for our Shocks. The Shox seem to be the biggest draw in town

Comment

• It's Charles Koch arena, not Koch Brothers, not Koch Industries. Charles lives and works down the street from WSU and is a multibillionaire on his own. David is a New Yorker and probably doesn't give two flips about WSU.

Comment

• Unless I'm mistaking, the guy who dropped 80 grand on an auction item was not a Koch. There are a lot of businesses and business leaders who provide ample support to Shocker athletics. Koch is just the richest and most notable with his name on the building.

Comment

• Well, that escalated quickly. Ah, ShockerNet. Thanks mini for derailing yet another thread. I guess your moniker fits.

Comment

Working...
                                X