No announcement yet.

Daily Wit and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Antonin Scalia in speech to students in Tennessee

“You’re entitled to criticize the government, and you can use words, you can use symbols, you can use telegraph, you can use morse code, you can burn a flag. “It’s all expression and it’s all covered by the First Amendment.” …

“The Constitution is not a living organism for Pete’s sake. It’s a law. It means what it meant when it was adopted,” he said.
      After his prepared remarks, Scalia took questions from eager law students who lined the aisles of the theatre. His remarks there were more candid, pointing to the Washington, D.C. v. Heller opinon — a second-amendment case — as his proudest moment on the court.

When another students asked about the constitutionality of income tax, he assured the student that the government could, in fact, take his money.

“But if reaches certain point, perhaps you should revolt,” Scalia advised the young man.

Comment

• "I shut my eyes in order to see."
        - Paul Gauguin
        :glee:
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Mae West (1893-1980):
          'I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.'
          :glee:
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Bob Newhart ( September 5, 1929-):
            'I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.
            :unconscious:

Comment

• Judy Walkman, a professional genealogy researcher in southern California , was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that Senator Harry Reid's great-great uncle, Remus Reid, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889. Both Judy and Harry Reid share this common ancestor.
              The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows in Montana territory.

On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: 'Remus Reid, horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.'
              So Judy recently e-mailed Senator Harry Reid for information about their great-great uncle.

Believe it or not, Harry Reid's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:
              "Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.":apple:

Comment

• Tread Lightly, Walter White Breaking Bad
                :satellite:

Comment

• After he had journeyed and his feet were sore
                  And he was tired, he came upon an orange grove
                  And he rested and he lay in the cool
                  And while he rested, he took to himself an orange and tasted it

And it was good and he felt the earth to his spine
                  And he asked, and he saw the tree above him and the stars
                  And the veins in the leaf and the light and the balance
                  And he saw magnificent perfection
                  Whereon he thought of himself in balance and he knew he was

Just open your eyes and realize the way it's always been
                  Just open your mind and you will find
                  The way it's always been, just open your heart
                  And that's a start

And he thought of those he angered for he was not a violent man
                  And he thought of those he hurt for he was not a cruel man
                  And he thought of those he frightened for he was not an evil man
                  And he understood, he understood himself

Upon this he saw that when he was of anger or knew hurt or felt fear
                  It was because he was not understanding
                  And he learned compassion

And with his eye of compassion
                  He saw his enemies like unto himself
                  And he learned love, then he was answered

Just open your eyes and realize the way it's always been
                  Just open your mind and you will find
                  The way it's always been, just open your heart
                  And that's a start
                  :listening_headphone

Comment

• Jimmy Carr (15 September 1972):
                    'I saw that show, 50 Things To Do Before You Die. I would have thought the obvious one was "Shout For Help". '
                    :yahoo:

Comment

• I can't tell you what art does and how it does it, but I know that art has often judged the judges, pleaded revenge to the innocent and shown to the future what the past has suffered, so that it has never been forgotten.
                      I know too that the powerful fear art, whatever its form, when it does this, and that amongst the people such art sometimes runs like a rumour and a legend because it makes sense of what life's brutalities cannot, a sense that unites us, for it is inseparable from a justice at last. Art, when it functions like this, becomes a meeting-place of the invisible, the irreducible, the enduring, guts and honour.
                      John Berger
                      :watermelon:

Comment

• Edvard Munch “I felt as though a vast, endless scream passed through nature”.
                        :yahoo:

Comment

• "One great thing about getting old is that you can get out of all sorts of social obligations just by saying you’re too tired." -George Carlin
                          :tan:

Comment

• "I never trust a man that doesn't drink." - JOHN WAYNE
                            :very_drunk:

Comment

• 10428012_10152435751743048_5668017796846399593_n.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]1513[/ATTACH]
                                If the artist didn't suck, maybe the artist wouldn't starve while doing their thing. A better, but still really weak argument could be made for the good gas station attendant. Maybe the good gas station attendant wouldn't starve if the place wasn't hiring lazy, starving artists.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X