No announcement yet.

Daily Wit and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It makes me look like a genius with my commitment," Van Vleet said. "Now I can laugh at everybody who told me I was stupid for choosing them, but I didn't see it working out this way. I was just comfortable here, and now things have went my way.
    "When guys stay loyal and do the right thing, things in life tend to go your way. That's what's happening now."
    :bball_spin:

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• The only advice … that one person can give another about reading is to take no advice, to follow your own instincts, to use your own reason, to come to your own conclusions. If this is agreed between us, then I feel at the liberty to put forward a few ideas and suggestions because you will not allow them to fetter that independence which is the most important quality that a reader can possess. After all, what laws can be laid down about books? The battle of Waterloo was certainly fought on a certain day; but is Hamlet a better play than Lear? Nobody can say. Each must decide that question for himself. To admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. Everywhere else we may be bound by laws and conventions — there we have none. Virginia Woolf
      :victorious:
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Naysayers have little power over us, unless we give it to them - Arianna Huffington
        :frog:

Comment

• "Until you and I receive the son God provided we will be offering our own sons and daughters on the battlefield of the world for power and prestige"
          -- Ravi Zacharias

Comment

• “My job,” he said in 2009, “is to show folks there’s a lot of good music in this world, and if used right it may help to save the planet.”Pete Seeger RIP
            :sorrow:

Comment

• Another SOTU response from some of the President's former Chicago constituents.

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
              -John Wooden

Comment

• When we talk about the environment, about creation, my thoughts turn to the first pages of the Bible, the Book of Genesis, which states that God placed man and woman on earth to cultivate and care for it. And the question comes to my mind: What does cultivating and caring for the earth mean? Are we truly cultivating and caring for creation? Or are we exploiting and neglecting it?”
                ~Pope Francis, advocating for taking care of the environment
                :frog:

Comment

• "It is a mistake that there is no bath that will cure people's manners. But drowning would help."

- Mark Twain, "Marienbad--A Health Factory," Europe and Elsewhere, 1923
                  :stupid:

Comment

• "Both marriage and death ought to be welcome: the one promises happiness, doubtless the other assures it." - Letter to Will Bowen, 4 November 1888
                    :tongue-new:

Comment

• The whole world is only about 3 drinks behind, Humphrey Bogart
                      :pirate:

Comment

• "His ignorance covered the whole earth like a blanket, and there was hardly a hole in it anywhere." - Mark Twain in Eruption
                        :cowbell:

Comment

• The Olympics remain the most compelling search for excellence that exists in sport, and maybe in life itself.”
                          Dawn Fraser
                          :kiwi-fruit:

Comment

• "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." ~ Lao Tzu

Comment

• “The man who has his millions will want everything he can lay his hands on and then raise his voice against the poor devil who wants ten cents more a day.”
                              Samuel Gompers
                              :devilish:

Comment

• "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

-Aristotle
                                :single_eye:

Comment

Working...
                                X