Israel and friends....foes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock
    However, hatred of the U.S. has little to do with what we do and a lot to do with what we are – a free, secular and democratic country that protects the rights of women and minorities. No amount of appeasement will change this undeniable fact.
    The man at the CIA whose job it was to understand Bin Laden and why Al-Qaida was targeting the US said in the 9/11 report it was because we've meddled in their affairs for decades and put a military base in their holy land.

To say it's an undeniable fact that they hate us because we're free (to summarize) falls contrary to expert opinion.

I'm not advocating appeasement or any certain form of diplomacy here. That isn't the point of my post. But rather to point out what has been repeated so often as fact, really isn't.
    Bin Laden hates the U.S. and the West because we are not Muslim and are kafir's. His goal is world dominance and conversion. In the end it doesn't matter if the U.S. is kissing his butt or kicking - he will always hate unless your willing to convert.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock
      However, hatred of the U.S. has little to do with what we do and a lot to do with what we are – a free, secular and democratic country that protects the rights of women and minorities. No amount of appeasement will change this undeniable fact.
      The man at the CIA whose job it was to understand Bin Laden and why Al-Qaida was targeting the US said in the 9/11 report it was because we've meddled in their affairs for decades and put a military base in their holy land.

To say it's an undeniable fact that they hate us because we're free (to summarize) falls contrary to expert opinion.

I'm not advocating appeasement or any certain form of diplomacy here. That isn't the point of my post. But rather to point out what has been repeated so often as fact, really isn't.
      :good: 8)
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Republicans Push Obama to 'Pull the Trigger' on Iran
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Obama and Israel: Showdown at the UN?
          The Obama administration is reportedly signaling another major shift in policy towards one of its staunchest allies, Israel, and this shift could change the way it votes at the Security Council. The change would mean an end to the US' use of its veto power in the United Nations Security Council when certain anti-Israel resolutions are introduced for a vote.‪

Reports surfaced a couple of weeks ago, that a senior US diplomat met with Qatar's foreign minister in Paris. They discussed the possibility that the US was giving serious consideration to not using its veto if a vote on Israeli settlements was to come up. It has been the policy of successive administrations to veto virtually all anti-Israel resolutions at the Security Council.‪
          Anne Bayefsky is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute and Touro College and says the administration, like none other before them, appears prepared to blackmail Israel at the UN. She says "The administration may imagine that the threat of withholding the veto at the Security Council, or the failure to oppose vigorously any one of a constant stream of anti-Israel UN concoctions, will be good for the United States. They will be dead wrong." She believes "Israel's enemies are America's enemies, and an effort by the Obama administration to use the UN as a tool to blackmail Israel or undermine Israel's independence and security is a double-edged sword.‪"
          "If President Obama materially changes this long-standing, bipartisan American policy, peace in the Middle East will be set back. America's friends and allies alike will conclude that the Obama Administration is indeed a feckless ally."
          Bayefsky, who is also editor of EYEontheUN.org, says "If the Obama administration believes that it can bring about more peace and harmony and respect for America by sitting on its hands and refusing to exercise the veto, while the likes of Russia and China and Lebanon (which is currently a member) revel in a hate-filled denunciation of Israel, then the administration is delusional. The refusal to exercise the veto will be read as weakness, as will any attempt by the Obama administration to deflect criticism by claiming "the UN made me do it."
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Iranian Missile May Be Able to Hit U.S. by 2015
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Israeli Officials Weigh Option of Attacking Iran Without U.S. Consent
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Reports of Iranian submarine docked in Beirut. Material was being offloaded with people in full NBC suits indicating that the material might be chemical weapons (for the scuds).

Comment

• Russia warns U.S. against unilateral Iran sanctions
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• IAEA report on Iran likely to boost West's opposition to Tehran's fuel swap offer
                    VIENNA (AP) — Iran has amassed more than two tons of enriched uranium, the U.N. atomic agency said Monday in a report that heightened Western concerns about the country developing the ability to produce a nuclear weapon.

Two tons of uranium would be enough for two nuclear warheads, although Iran says it does not want weapons and is only pursuing civilian nuclear energy.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Saudi Arabia gives Israel clear skies to attack Iranian nuclear sites

“The Saudis have given their permission for the Israelis to pass over and they will look the other way,” said a US defence source in the area. “They have already done tests to make sure their own jets aren’t scrambled and no one gets shot down. This has all been done with the agreement of the [US] State Department.”

Sources in Saudi Arabia say it is common knowledge within defence circles in the kingdom that an arrangement is in place if Israel decides to launch the raid. Despite the tension between the two governments, they share a mutual loathing of the regime in Tehran and a common fear of Iran’s nuclear ambitions. “We all know this. We will let them [the Israelis] through and see nothing,” said one.

Interesting story. To me allowing this out is either just hoping to scare Iran or a diversion to get them looking the wrong way.

Comment

• Ahmadi-Nejad said Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan told him US President Obama spoke with Erdogan on the telephone requesting Turkey's abstention for 90 minutes. Erdogan also allegedly told Ahmadi-Nejad that Obama said he needed to "do something" about Iran, that he was under pressure from the US Congress and that the sanctions were not strong and would have no effect on Iran.

Comment

• Iran Cannot Be Contained

Even though this essay, in Commentary, paints a very bleak picture, I found it very persuasive.

Comment

• Haven't had a chance to read the essay but...

The only way to stop Iran at this point is to go and stop them. I think most in the ME would be like Saudi Arabia and allow Israel to attack them without consequence. Syria wouldn't. I doubt any would actively assist them though either. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this is where it's all headed. The bigger concern for Israel if they do attack is how China and Russia would respond to it. They could cause a lot of problems and I'm not sure the current American leadership has the backbone to stand up to them and support Israel.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                              Haven't had a chance to read the essay but...

The only way to stop Iran at this point is to go and stop them. I think most in the ME would be like Saudi Arabia and allow Israel to attack them without consequence. Syria wouldn't. I doubt any would actively assist them though either. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this is where it's all headed. The bigger concern for Israel if they do attack is how China and Russia would respond to it. They could cause a lot of problems and I'm not sure the current American leadership has the backbone to stand up to them and support Israel.
                              The essay is worth reading.

Even though arguments like this author’s tend to get ignored, by and large. Mind you not because they aren't persuasive or well thought out, but because they are. The political and psychological costs of accepting the premise offered are too high. So, denial inevitably triumphs.

Comment

• I'll read it when I get the chance. I tried to earlier but things at work picked up. It may have to wait until tomorrow unless I can get my home PC functioning properly.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X