NFL Kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
    The NFL rule says "or illustration" which would arguably include a demonstration such as kneeling. In fact, that's probably a pretty good argument. The NBA rule literally says players have to stand during the anthem.

One of those two rules is "very clear." One would spark a huge number of arguments about whether the behavior broke the rule or if the rule was clear enough or whatever. The other explicitly states the expectation.
    Maybe. I agree the NBA rule leaves zero room for interpretation. I think this was the same rule the NFL cited for the saying the throat slashing gesture was a rules violation. Also Odell Beckham Jr leg-lifting action, and the reason Tebow was "encouraged" not to kneel. Bottom line is that it is the NFL's rule and the NFL can determine what violates it. To me you have pretty clear violations of the rule with "illustration", "must relate to team or league", "unless approved in advance by the league office", not political, and "noncontroversial".

I find it humorous that the sole purpose of this rule is to prevent players from doing something embarrassing that might impact how the league is viewed and ultimately impact the profits of the league. In this instance, the league supported an action with an outcome that this rule was intended to prevent.
    Last edited by shockfan89_; September 29, 2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      "The Oakland Raiders is the only NFL lineup made up entirely of African-American players"

. . .

"Star Quarterback Derek Carr – who happens to be white"

Quality journalism there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I was listening to sports talk in Houston the other day and they were talking about this. They had a player on the phone and were asking him "what are the next steps?" "What do you want to see happen?". They suggested a televised townhall meeting with players and fans to discuss the issue - leave the politicians out of it for now. Get the players and fans in a room to talk about their sides of this debate. I thought this was a great idea and probably something that would attract a tremendous amount of viewers.
        Which debate are they going to discuss?

Police brutality? Does the general public really care about a player/fan debate of a non-athletic topic?
        Protesting during the anthem? Not the issue they are supposedly trying to bring attention to.

Sorry, but that sounds like a waste of time, and a veiled way to protect their careers by mending the strained NFL/fan relationship.

Comment

Of course it's fabricated. My first clue was saying that Carr was NEVER sacked last year. Upon review, I see him listed for being sacked 16 times.
          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Protesting anything during the National Anthem is a protest against the US in my mind in so much as they are acting as if the country supports whatever they oppose. In this case its systematic law enforcement racism. i.e., it is America that allows/promotes the racism; therefore they are protesting America by kneeling for the National Anthem. A peaceful march against racism, though I probably wouldn't agree with in generalities, is not symbolic of a protest against America.
            There are cops getting non guilty verdicts after what Colin feels is murder. If that isn't "the system", I don't know what is.

Once again, I think the argument is mostly with the statistics. If you believed the system was that entrenched with racism (I don't, but he does), you probably wouldn't have a problem with Colin's protests.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
              Lord have mercy... SMGDH :boxing:
              You didn't answer the question.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                There are cops getting non guilty verdicts after what Colin feels is murder. If that isn't "the system", I don't know what is.

Once again, I think the argument is mostly with the statistics. If you believed the system was that entrenched with racism (I don't, but he does), you probably wouldn't have a problem with Colin's protests.
                I get why he thinks it's the system. I think he's wrong.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• He has stirred this up as a distraction. Now whether he's distracting us from something right now, or if he is just floating a "test balloon" to see how this works when he really needs it, who knows. Obviously it works, the hook has been swallowed.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                    Of course it's fabricated. My first clue was saying that Carr was NEVER sacked last year. Upon review, I see him listed for being sacked 16 times.
                    Well, that is "never" in the NFL. I dunno if the story is true or not, but that stat lead the league.

Comment

• It's always about the money. When the NFL sees their pocketbook being impacted, suddenly they collectively decide that it was "never about the flag" but they are now gonna kneel to pray instead. Sure.

Comment

• Attached Files
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• I spent some time in my car today. My usual music stations had nothing of interest, so I turned on Rush Limbaugh.

Rush wants all of us to watch on TV and go to games. It's more important now than ever to support the NFL. The players kneeling isn't about BLM - that's just the cover to get people riled up. What's really happening is a liberal conspiracy to destroy the NFL because sometimes players get hurt. The liberals are using kneeling players to anger the red-blooded Americans who like to see football how it's meant to be played. Liberals want to take that away, so they are using players kneeling to anger NFL fans.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            I spent some time in my car today. My usual music stations had nothing of interest, so I turned on Rush Limbaugh.

Rush wants all of us to watch on TV and go to games. It's more important now than ever to support the NFL. The players kneeling isn't about BLM - that's just the cover to get people riled up. What's really happening is a liberal conspiracy to destroy the NFL because sometimes players get hurt. The liberals are using kneeling players to anger the red-blooded Americans who like to see football how it's meant to be played. Liberals want to take that away, so they are using players kneeling to anger NFL fans.

Uh.........do what now, Vern?

Comment

Uh.........do what now, Vern?
                              He really said that. This is not fake news.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I love a good conspiracy as much as the next guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X