NFL Kneeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post

They start by saying that they are not protesting the flag or the military, which a lot of us were trying to argue that this was the case. So to fix that, they are all choosing to kneel BEFORE the anthem, and then stand in unity during it. Just like the Dallas Cowboys did on Monday Night earlier this week.
    Kaepernick was protesting the flag and the anthem.

Comment

• Maybe this belongs in the other thread, but isn't this a huge win for Trump if everyone goes back to standing for the national anthem? Couple that with the amazing economic news from last quarter, and hurricane response. If he can get wins on the travel bans and tax cuts, and keep his mouth shut, people are going to actually have to start working with him at some point? Maybe we can finally drop the Russian collusion lies and get to healthcare next year?

Comment

• I was listening to sports talk in Houston the other day and they were talking about this. They had a player on the phone and were asking him "what are the next steps?" "What do you want to see happen?". They suggested a televised townhall meeting with players and fans to discuss the issue - leave the politicians out of it for now. Get the players and fans in a room to talk about their sides of this debate. I thought this was a great idea and probably something that would attract a tremendous amount of viewers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I was listening to sports talk in Houston the other day and they were talking about this. They had a player on the phone and were asking him "what are the next steps?" "What do you want to see happen?". They suggested a televised townhall meeting with players and fans to discuss the issue - leave the politicians out of it for now. Get the players and fans in a room to talk about their sides of this debate. I thought this was a great idea and probably something that would attract a tremendous amount of viewers.
          Quadruple like. Love this idea, thanks for passing it along and I hope it comes to fruition.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
            Maybe this belongs in the other thread, but isn't this a huge win for Trump if everyone goes back to standing for the national anthem? Couple that with the amazing economic news from last quarter, and hurricane response. If he can get wins on the travel bans and tax cuts, and keep his mouth shut, people are going to actually have to start working with him at some point? Maybe we can finally drop the Russian collusion lies and get to healthcare next year?
            For many reasons, I'm not sure if anything will ever be a win for him. The swamp may be too deep and he too self absorbed.

NBC ran a 30 minute infomercial against the President last night. It's really embarrassing at this point.

Comment

• It appears Adam Silver, NBA commissioner, has stated he hopes/expects NBA players to stand, per the rules. If they don't they will deal with it when it happens. At least one league head is reminded of the rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                It appears Adam Silver, NBA commissioner, has stated he hopes/expects NBA players to stand, per the rules. If they don't they will deal with it when it happens. At least one league head is reminded of the rules.
                The NFL has no rule stating you must stand for the anthem. The NBA has had such a rule for a long time. It's not like the NFL commissioner is not enforcing an existing rule or the NBA commissioner passed a new rule.

I think you will be disappointed if you anticipate the NBA will strongly enforce their policy. "We will deal with it when it happens" is not the type of language you use if you're going to start handing out suspensions.

Comment

• If I was an owner, and I disapproved of whatever the players were doing, I think I'd try to find a way to thoroughly embarrass them at every turn.

The fans would be on my side and the players would be thinking twice, at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                    The NFL has no rule stating you must stand for the anthem. The NBA has had such a rule for a long time. It's not like the NFL commissioner is not enforcing an existing rule or the NBA commissioner passed a new rule.

I think you will be disappointed if you anticipate the NBA will strongly enforce their policy. "We will deal with it when it happens" is not the type of language you use if you're going to start handing out suspensions.
                    The NFL has very clear rules which could have been used to ensure all players stand for the nation anthem.

Throughout the period on game-day that a player is visible to the stadium and television audience (including in pregame warm-ups, in the bench area, and during postgame interviews in the locker room or on the field), players are prohibited from wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages either in writing or illustration, unless such message has been approved in advance by the League office. Items to celebrate anniversaries or memorable events, or to honor or commemorate individuals, such as helmet decals, and arm bands and jersey patches on players’ uniforms, are prohibited unless approved in advance by the League office. All such items approved by the League office, if any, must relate to team or League events or personages. The League will not grant permission for any club or player to wear, display, or otherwise convey messages, through helmet decals, arm bands, jersey patches, or other items affixed to game uniforms or equipment, which relate to political activities or causes, other non-football events, causes or campaigns, or charitable causes or campaigns. Further, any such approved items must be modest in size, tasteful, non-commercial, and noncontroversial;

Comment

The NFL has very clear rules which could have been used to ensure all players stand for the nation anthem.

Throughout the period on game-day that a player is visible to the stadium and television audience (including in pregame warm-ups, in the bench area, and during postgame interviews in the locker room or on the field), players are prohibited from wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages either in writing or illustration, unless such message has been approved in advance by the League office. Items to celebrate anniversaries or memorable events, or to honor or commemorate individuals, such as helmet decals, and arm bands and jersey patches on players’ uniforms, are prohibited unless approved in advance by the League office. All such items approved by the League office, if any, must relate to team or League events or personages. The League will not grant permission for any club or player to wear, display, or otherwise convey messages, through helmet decals, arm bands, jersey patches, or other items affixed to game uniforms or equipment, which relate to political activities or causes, other non-football events, causes or campaigns, or charitable causes or campaigns. Further, any such approved items must be modest in size, tasteful, non-commercial, and noncontroversial;
                      Probably why they chose to kneel, it doesn't really violate any of these policies. They have not produced any tangible item, note, decal, etc. that would be in violation. The key here is the prohibition of items, does not say anything about actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Probably why they chose to kneel, it doesn't really violate any of these policies. They have not produced any tangible item, note, decal, etc. that would be in violation. The key here is the prohibition of items, does not say anything about actions.
                        The NFL rule says "or illustration" which would arguably include a demonstration such as kneeling. In fact, that's probably a pretty good argument. The NBA rule literally says players have to stand during the anthem.

One of those two rules is "very clear." One would spark a huge number of arguments about whether the behavior broke the rule or if the rule was clear enough or whatever. The other explicitly states the expectation.

Comment

Maybe this belongs in the other thread, but isn't this a huge win for Trump if everyone goes back to standing for the national anthem? Couple that with the amazing economic news from last quarter, and hurricane response. If he can get wins on the travel bans and tax cuts, and keep his mouth shut, people are going to actually have to start working with him at some point? Maybe we can finally drop the Russian collusion lies and get to healthcare next year?
                          He can't/won't keep his mouth shut

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            He can't/won't keep his mouth shut
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• can this be true?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Doubtful. Doesn't look to be very credible. The only sites "reporting" this are the crazy far-right websites. Infowars is another one saying it. Infowars is all about conspiracy and not real news. (And yes, before you get onto me about saying "crazy far-right websites", I do in fact acknowledge that there are crazy far-left websites. Like The Young Turks.)

There is such a thing as teams having a bad week and under performing.

Comment

Working...
                                X