No announcement yet.

Legalize marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana decriminalization in Wichita passed 5-2.

According to statistics disclosed during the council meeting today is that nearly two thirds of marijuana prosecutions in Wichita are against people of color and over half of all prosecutions are of people under 30.

Prosecuting such laws ruins more lives than the marijuana itself.

Also saw that Kansas is one of only 11 states left that hasn't legalized or decriminalized marijuana.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I was pleasantly surprised by the City Council action today. Kudos to Mayor Whipple and Council Members Jeff Blubaugh, Maggie Ballard, Brandon Johnson and Mike Hoheisel for voting yes to make more sense out of our local drug laws. Hopefully this will cause the state to act and reform our state drug laws.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
        I was pleasantly surprised by the City Council action today. Kudos to Mayor Whipple and Council Members Jeff Blubaugh, Maggie Ballard, Brandon Johnson and Mike Hoheisel for voting yes to make more sense out of our local drug laws. Hopefully this will cause the state to act and reform our state drug laws.
        That's what the majority of Kansas wants.

However, I'm not sure if we have enough people in Topeka to do it. So many are still caught up in refer madness and think it's worse than heroin.

Whoever wins the AG race is going to fight this as well. Kobach refused to respond, but has a history, and the Dem candidate whose name escapes me at the moment wasn't the least bit supportive. But it sounds like they made a living working with law enforcement to prosecute drug offenders so....

Kelly refuses to actually take a stand on the issue, giving shallow lip service at best, and there's no way Schmidt is supporting this. Long shot Cordell would be on board though.

I do think Kelly would probably sign something should it actually reach her, but I just don't think there are enough people to push it that far right now and she isn't going to make it an issue.

But I'm definitely glad that the council has decided that non-violent drug offenders aren't worth the time and money spent prosecuting and that Wichita has bigger areas it needs to focus on. But who knows, maybe being the biggest city in the state will start something moving. I am interested to see how much push back on this there is from Topeka.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That's what the majority of Kansas wants.

However, I'm not sure if we have enough people in Topeka to do it. So many are still caught up in refer madness and think it's worse than heroin.

Whoever wins the AG race is going to fight this as well. Kobach refused to respond, but has a history, and the Dem candidate whose name escapes me at the moment wasn't the least bit supportive. But it sounds like they made a living working with law enforcement to prosecute drug offenders so....

Kelly refuses to actually take a stand on the issue, giving shallow lip service at best, and there's no way Schmidt is supporting this. Long shot Cordell would be on board though.

I do think Kelly would probably sign something should it actually reach her, but I just don't think there are enough people to push it that far right now and she isn't going to make it an issue.

But I'm definitely glad that the council has decided that non-violent drug offenders aren't worth the time and money spent prosecuting and that Wichita has bigger areas it needs to focus on. But who knows, maybe being the biggest city in the state will start something moving. I am interested to see how much push back on this there is from Topeka.
          I will begin by saying that I respect others both sides of the marijuana argument. There is research of benefit and concerns (I think that "danger" is too strong of a word, but in some cases it does apply) on both sides of the argument, and the people I worry about most are people who totally disregard the other side. Your statement above, totally shows a lack of regard and respect for those who disagree with you, and feel that marijuana poses enough of a risk that they oppose it's recreational legalization.

"So many are still caught up in refer madness and think it's worse than heroin."

Reefer madness was a movie that popped up in 1937, and then was renewed by Cheech and Chong in the 1970's. Both movies showed a culture that was trying to find it's way around drugs during different cultural times. It wasn't too much before the original "Reefer Madness" that Coca Cola actually had opium in their product (while it was sold on store shelves that anyone, including children could go into) and had hooked many people into the use of the drug to maintain their daily lives. Drugs were sold by anyone as a tonic, and not monitored at all during the early 1900's, and people were making bad health decisions.

Fast forward to the 1970's, and marijuana was a drug that was relatively harmless because of it's low THC levels, and if you compared it to other popular drugs of the time (LSD/Acid, Heroin, Speed, etc. ), it was relatively harmless.

However, the marijuana of 40-50 years ago was not addictive, not conducive of psychosis, and the worst problem it produced, was probably DUI, as I drove with many who used it at all times of the day. In it's heaviest users that I saw, "lack of motivation" was probably the biggest problem.

I personally have mixed feelings about marijuana, and it's future. But for you or anyone to dispute, and make fun of people who disagree as people who are "stupid" or in your words "caught up in Reefer Madness", and believing that it is worse than heroin, is just disrespectful imo. There are legitimate concerns regarding this drug, and if I had a feeling that my underage grand children were taking it, I'd be concerned. A lot of my friends who were heavy users (note that I didn't say moderate or light users)weren't that much different than the characters that Cheech and Chong portrayed, but the drug that they took was not the strong, toxic marijuana of today.

Here is another website that points out marijuana concerns (I have pointed out many). As I said, I have mixed feelings regarding that the move toward recreational marijuana will be a good thing, but either way, we should be respectful of people who oppose our side.

Marijuana use comes with real risks that can impact a person’s health and life.

Comment

Marijuana decriminalization in Wichita passed 5-2.

According to statistics disclosed during the council meeting today is that nearly two thirds of marijuana prosecutions in Wichita are against people of color and over half of all prosecutions are of people under 30.

Prosecuting such laws ruins more lives than the marijuana itself.

Also saw that Kansas is one of only 11 states left that hasn't legalized or decriminalized marijuana.
            Over half under 30? Shocking. Few people start smoking (or smoking dope or drinking or do other moronic things the older they get). It's not a signal of racial or any other stereotyping which is obviously what not a doctor Whipple was going for.

Ruins more lives? Perhaps. My guess is most of those lives were down the shitter already. If not, they were destined to find that end one way or the other.

So Kansas is backwards, or everyone else are lemmings?

I've said it before, I honestly don't care as long as you are not bothering anyone else with your weed, but that's next to impossible to do. What % of folks will get pulled over, then police will discover they're smoking weed and the perp will scream bloody murder it's no longer a crime (hint, it's still a crime). I can buy the argument about personal freedom. I cannot buy the argument things will get better (they likely will get markedly worse).

I realize I'm in the minority. If you're celebrating this day, all I ask is to take care of yourself and have some introspection. Ask yourself if you're better off as a user. Are you setting a good example for your children or family? Are you bothering your neighbors. Are you respecting or caring for the person you rent from (if you don't own where you live) or are you devaluing what's likely your largest asset? Can you afford it? Are you saving for later in life or kids or is a couple hundred a month for weed a better way to go?

If only government would spend a fraction of the time they spend on weed on things that REALLY matter.

Comment

• You can sure weed out the pot smokers in here.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Never smoked anything in my life. I just believe in personal freedom as long as you're not harming others or infringing upon their rights.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is equivalent to cheerleading the moment when FuddRuckers became FuttBuckers.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Never smoked anything in my life. I just believe in personal freedom as long as you're not harming others or infringing upon their rights.
                    Let’s legalize crack next!
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Over half under 30? Shocking. Few people start smoking (or smoking dope or drinking or do other moronic things the older they get). It's not a signal of racial or any other stereotyping which is obviously what not a doctor Whipple was going for.

Ruins more lives? Perhaps. My guess is most of those lives were down the shitter already. If not, they were destined to find that end one way or the other.

So Kansas is backwards, or everyone else are lemmings?

I've said it before, I honestly don't care as long as you are not bothering anyone else with your weed, but that's next to impossible to do. What % of folks will get pulled over, then police will discover they're smoking weed and the perp will scream bloody murder it's no longer a crime (hint, it's still a crime). I can buy the argument about personal freedom. I cannot buy the argument things will get better (they likely will get markedly worse).

I realize I'm in the minority. If you're celebrating this day, all I ask is to take care of yourself and have some introspection. Ask yourself if you're better off as a user. Are you setting a good example for your children or family? Are you bothering your neighbors. Are you respecting or caring for the person you rent from (if you don't own where you live) or are you devaluing what's likely your largest asset? Can you afford it? Are you saving for later in life or kids or is a couple hundred a month for weed a better way to go?

If only government would spend a fraction of the time they spend on weed on things that REALLY matter.
                      I don't use weed. I doubt I ever will (unless I end up needing it for medical reasons).
                      For me it is a freedom issue and reflects your last line. It is ridiculous the amount of time and money that the government spends on this issue.

Comment

• A friend of a friend just had her AirBNB reservation cancelled due to a possession charge from 10 years ago. She’s a completely normal, successful, non-pot smoking adult who I’m sure most of you would consider a model citizen.

Might be time to start wiping convictions.
                        Last edited by AndShock; September 15, 2022, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Let’s legalize crack next!
                          Why not?!? Freedom!!!!

Comment

• Why not make alcohol illegal?
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Does anyone know DUI stats for states that have legalized marijuana?

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                Why not make alcohol illegal?
                                That ship sailed a loooooooooooong time ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X