Legalize marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I’m ok with that. And also the thousands of lives and vehicles it would save in the process.
    I think we should make medical practices illegal because more than 250,000 people die due to medical malpractice annually whereas about 12000 die from drunk driving…which is also less than the 30000 that die from guns every year and 20,000 that die from pharmaceutical ODs. Zero deaths from marijuana reported.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Just observing as my wife and i just walked up and down the 16th Street Mall in Denver. Count us in the “don’t legalize recreational weed” camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

So where does this end? Sugar? Fatty foods? Caffeine? Red meat? Cars? Guns? Knives? Bats?

How many more decisions would you be okay with allowing government to make for us?

Government does make decisions about every single thing you listed.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Zero deaths from marijuana reported.
          Death isn't the only bad outcome.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Government does make decisions about every single thing you listed.
            I'm allowed to have all of those things, and pretty much as much as I want without being considered a criminal by the government.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
              Just observing as my wife and i just walked up and down the 16th Street Mall in Denver. Count us in the “don’t legalize recreational weed” camp.
              If you don't mind telling us, what did you see? Were there a lot of shops that were selling drugs or worse?

Comment

• AOL - Sedgwick County needs to mellow out in fight with Wichita over marijuana

“The costs should include the cost of booking individuals, the cost of anything in the jail, forensics science center, (police) testifying, the DA’s costs, attorneys for their defense and any other expenses we incur as a result of (the city’s) action,” Dennis said.

Mayor Brandon Whipple says the county can send a bill, but the city isn’t going to pay it.

“There’s no way they can charge us for decisions they make,” he said, citing the separation of powers between county and city governments. “It’d be like if we tore down the Sedgwick County Zoo and sent them the bill for doing it.”
                Whether marijuana cases are handled by District Court or Municipal Court, the cost goes way beyond the county and city checkbooks.

The City Council is rightly tired of pursuing petty and outdated crimes that saddle young people with drug convictions and limit their future career prospects for no good reason.

The county needs to quit rattling sabers, get its act together and work with the city to figure out how to resolve this as efficiently and economically as possible.

The public deserves no less.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Why does the Eagle put a100% of the blame on the County? The city never approached them with a discussion on the issue that affects more than just the city of Wichita. This should have been discussed by the City and County Manager's offices, and the City police and the Sheriff's office. This decision affects Wichita, and the surrounding communities, and deserved deliberation, instead of a unilateral decision. The County not being happy, and feeling left out of this decision, is understandable. Discussions and cooperation is very important to lower taxes, by removing overlapping services, and this fits into, at least a small part of that problem.

Comment

• This decision is about the city and what it's choosing to focus on. The Council, with this decision, has essentially told WPD that they don't want them wasting their time on these issues, so anyone found by WPD with small amounts of weed or whatever should be let go as is, which wouldn't complicate anything for the county and wouldn't increase their costs.

If the County chooses to continue enforcing marijuana laws, they pay for it. They prosecute it. They deal with it.

The best part about this, is the City is telling WPD to focus on more important things. Will they take that directive or will they fight this on their end? That's the interesting part of this. As well as if the State/AG tries to get involved.

The County has plenty of their own issues they need to deal with. They're an absolute joke right now.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm allowed to have all of those things, and pretty much as much as I want without being considered a criminal by the government.
                      Of course, but the government has and will continue to debate on them.

Now what about cocaine, spray paint, prescription pain meds, cyanide, grenades, crystal meth, dynamite, opium, certain insecticides, bullets, hydrochloric acid, certain fertalizers, race cars, fully automatic guns, semi-trucks?

Government will always debate about these things.

Comment

Just observing as my wife and i just walked up and down the 16th Street Mall in Denver. Count us in the “don’t legalize recreational weed” camp.
                        I imagine wufan and Sub have never been on a tour of the west coast paradises of LA, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle, the cities that lead the way in letting people do whatever the eff they want.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Also wrong.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

I imagine wufan and Sub have never been on a tour of the west coast paradises of LA, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle, the cities that lead the way in letting people do whatever the eff they want.
                            I’ve seen it all. I don’t think “those people” should be there either. Would it be better if all the undesirables were indefinitely incarcerated? I don’t think so. Here’s what I’m advocating:

Marijuana should be legal to buy/transport in public and legal to smoke in private. Anyone that is smoking publicly should be fined, and if necessary, forcibly removed.

Livin the dream

Comment

I spent quite a bit of time in downtown Portland when WSU was there several years ago. I rode all over on public transportation. For the most part, folks were friendly and I felt safe. A year or two before that I vacationed in the LA area and spent a little time in the downtown area. I didn't hang out in LA at night though.

More recently I've been to Amsterdam and parts of Colorado, albeit not Denver. I didn't see anything too concerning in those cities either. I felt completely safe in Amsterdam at night. Based on my experiences, I'd much rather be in downtown Amsterdam or Portland vs downtown KC or St Louis at night.

As far as weed goes, if it becomes a major problem in cities can it not be reined in by local ordinances? I smell weed quite frequently in KC and Wichita when in the downtown area. Not any less than the other cities I mentioned. Cigarette smoke probably bothers me more but why can't weed be handled similarly.
                              Last edited by Ta Town Shocker; September 16, 2022, 11:52 PM.
                              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• KSN - Kansas medical marijuana bill is back for 2023

TOPEKA, Kan. (KSNT) — 2023 could be the year that medical marijuana gets a green light in Kansas. Kansas lawmakers will be meeting twice in October to review medical marijuana legislation ahead of next year’s session.

The Special Committee on Medical Marijuana will be meeting on Oct. 12 and Oct. 19 to go over the details of the bill and to hear testimony. Law enforcement, state agencies, and local government are expected to speak in the first meeting, while public testimony will take place on Oct. 19.

The bill was stalled earlier this year after lawmakers failed to reach a final agreement. However, next year’s legislative session could be the year that a final plan is forged.
                                Sounds like it'll be discussed again, but I'm not sure how much faith I have in the representatives involved to get anything actually done. Time will tell.

Also sounds like Topeka is waiting to see how things go in Wichita before considering decriminalization efforts.

And, why we all wait, it appears as though Missouri may legalize recreational use in November. I haven't seen any polling numbers but it's apparently on the ballot for them.

I want to say Oklahoma is looking into it, but I can't say that for certain. Just seems like I've read something previously where it's getting some consideration.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X