No announcement yet.

Russia-Ukraine War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't find EV's political at all, I find them EXCITING! Get out and rent one at your earliest convenience so you can see what I'm talking about. Peace and quiet combined with power like you've never driven outside of an exotic sports car. What's not to like? Yes, the price. But that will find its market equilibrium in time.

Forgot to mention the clean air. Imagine walking down a city block with no exhaust fumes - anywhere. Who doesn't like fresh air!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      https://www.newsweek.com/have-biden-...uction-1686104

Just another viewpoint to keep the conversation honest.

There's no question that a Biden Administration is going to be less liberal with oil exploration leases as the Republicans are FIRMLY in the back pocket of big oil. But... there's only so much the D's can do as market forces will eventually prevail. As I mentioned just recently, soaring oil futures WILL stimulate more domestic extraction efforts. You can bank on it just like you'd bank on the sun rising tomorrow. The question is, how long will we be involved in the conflict? If the shooting stops tomorrow, this all becomes a nothingburger as far as domestic supply is concerned. In fact, there's nothing wrong with our supply right now, the speculators are merely bidding up the price of contracts with the expectation that we will have a supply crunch in the near future.

This page lists Quick Facts for the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Here's some info on our SPR.

Comment

I'd arm every man, woman, and child with Stinger missiles so Russia cannot gain air superiority. Then it's guerilla warfare time. A horrible existence, but it will assure the Russians of paying a price they could never conceive of paying.

Then I would HEAVILY bolster NATO forces inside countries surrounding Russia. This, along with the sanctions, is about all we can do short of actively engaging. Then we wait...

As far as the energy crisis is concerned... high gas prices will convince a lot of folk to move on over to electric. That isn't such a bad thing. Once you drive an electric vehicle, it's hard to go back. They need to get cheaper though. Perhaps some creative leases or incentives can take the sting out for the average American. I like the idea of cooperative ownership programs as well. Americans will innovate in these times and come out better for it.
        How does the working poor afford an electric vehicle? Even a used one? They don't. Electric vehicles sound like a good way to wean society off of crude oil, but in reality, is probably the most regressive, unaffordable tax ever conceived. A used electric car is $35-$50,000. A decent, dependable, older, gas burning used car is $5,000. No way the working poor can pay an additional $30,000 upfront to get to a car to deliver them to a low paying job. And they never make up the cost difference in the lessend cost of gas.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

https://twitter.com/DanODonnellShow/...hiMrnm-aw&s=19
          "No ability for the oil industry to continue to drill... PeRiOd!!!11"

Must have been one of his senior moments when he said that lol. It doesn't even make sense.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/de...illion%20b%2Fd.

In the February STEO, we forecast that U.S. crude oil production will increase to 12.0 million b/d in 2022, up 760,000 b/d from 2021. We forecast that crude oil production in the United States will rise by 630,000 b/d in 2023 to average 12.6 million b/d. We expect more than 80% of that crude oil production growth to come from the Lower 48 states (L48), which does not include production from Alaska and the Federal Offshore Gulf of Mexico.
          And just in case you'd like to know what production was like during Trump's reign:

U.S. crude oil production grew 11% in 2019, surpassing 12 million barrels per day. Annual U.S. crude oil production reached another record level at 12.23 million barrels per day (b/d) in 2019, 1.24 million b/d, or 11%, more than 2018 levels. The 2019 growth rate was down from a 17% growth rate in 2018.

Annual average U.S. crude oil production reached 9.3 million barrels per day (b/d) in 2017, an increase of 464,000 b/d from 2016 levels after declining by 551,000 b/d in 2016.
          The quicker you guys opt out of politics (like I have) the happier your lives will be. Both sides lie.

Now, if you want to discuss economic/governmental philosophies... then we can have a ball. And if we did that, I doubt there would be much disagreement between any of us. The reason I continue to perturb, is because I am WILLFULLY coming from a place "above/beyond the bullshit". Or at least I'm making every effort to speak from that place.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

How does the working poor afford an electric vehicle? Even a used one? They don't. Electric vehicles sound like a good way to wean society off of crude oil, but in reality, is probably the most regressive, unaffordable tax ever conceived. A used electric car is $35-$50,000. A decent, dependable, older, gas burning used car is $5,000. No way the working poor can pay an additional $30,000 upfront to get to a car to deliver them to a low paying job. And they never make up the cost difference in the lessend cost of gas.

Give it some time brother. Electric vehicle prices will fall right in line with traditional vehicles once the Big 3 start cranking them out.

Comment

• EVs are fine, but they are still dependent on fossil fuels. While you don't have to buy gas, your electric bill might tick up a shade, no? I don't know how much.

And while there may be a few charging stations where you can charge for free now, just wait until those businesses start getting those bills with dozens of EVs sucking on their power. It won't be free for long. And the increased demand for coal to go to power plants will go up, along with your electric rates (which you are using more of). Especially when Biden ends coal (remember he told that girl that).

So, the moral of this story is that the government will bend you over either way eventually. Whether you get an EV or not.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Ukrainians shooting down Russian jets and helicopters with American F-16s means we have de facto joined the conflict, but Ukrainians shooting down Russian jets and helicopters, and destroying Russian tanks with American Stinger, Patriot, and Javelin missiles keeps our hands nice and clean.

Contorted and vigorous defense of poorly thought out logic coming in ... 3 ... 2 ...
                That's an excellent impression of Stan Laurel by the Joekster.

Comment

• As for oil production, the US doesn't need to drill another single well to drop crude prices. No industry buys the rumor and sells the fact for than the energy sector. The fact that leases have been frozen, pipelines have been canceled and future production has been limited, has created a rumor of scarcity. Speculation has driven up prices, at the same time, OPEC has responded by squeezing up the price per barrel.

The price of gas will drop the moment the US reverses policy on domestic production. In fact, not one more well needs to be drilled. Simply the ability of the US to drill would cause a decline in crude oil prices.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    EVs are fine, but they are still dependent on fossil fuels. While you don't have to buy gas, your electric bill might tick up a shade, no? I don't know how much.

And while there may be a few charging stations where you can charge for free now, just wait until those businesses start getting those bills with dozens of EVs sucking on their power. It won't be free for long. And the increased demand for coal to go to power plants will go up, along with your electric rates (which you are using more of). Especially when Biden ends coal (remember he told that girl that).

So, the moral of this story is that the government will bend you over either way eventually. Whether you get an EV or not.

Your electric bill will vary a lot depending on what part of the country you live in. There is technology available now that will allow you to charge your EV up for free every night with stored solar power. It requires QUITE the upfront investment though.

Yes, we will still have to pay for roads, as a large percentage of fuel tax covers that. But eventually you'll be able to drive an EV, power it with the sun, and live out in the sticks on dirt roads if you choose.

I believe technology will continue to make our standard of living higher and higher. Translated: fun **** will just keep getting cheaper.

We've got to revamp our medical system though. People need to stop looking at insurance as free medical care and start being incentivized (medical savings/reimbursement accounts) to take care of themselves and GET SCANNED for the expensive diseases as they enter the high risk groups. If we could fix healthcare, this country would be swimming in dough. And we'd all be living longer and enjoying a higher quality of life in our later years.

It's. So. ****ing. Easy. ....... Right?!

Comment

As for oil production, the US doesn't need to drill another single well to drop crude prices. No industry buys the rumor and sells the fact for than the energy sector. The fact that leases have been frozen, pipelines have been canceled and future production has been limited, has created a rumor of scarcity. Speculation has driven up prices, at the same time, OPEC has responded by squeezing up the price per barrel.

The price of gas will drop the moment the US reverses policy on domestic production. In fact, not one more well needs to be drilled. Simply the ability of the US to drill would cause a decline in crude oil prices.
                      This. Man. Gets it!

Comment

Give it some time brother. Electric vehicle prices will fall right in line with traditional vehicles once the Big 3 start cranking them out.
                        That is, at a bare minimum, a decade out. I'm a big proponent of ev, but I do know that we are 10 years out on being able to ramp up sustainable production, which puts us⁵0.00 at a minimum of 15 years before there is a supply of affordable used ev's for the working poor. It's very ironic that the party that purportedly speaks for the poor, is now actively and intentionally hurting the poor with reckless energy policy.

Comment

That is, at a bare minimum, a decade out. I'm a big proponent of ev, but I do know that we are 10 years out on being able to ramp up sustainable production, which puts us⁵0.00 at a minimum of 15 years before there is a supply of affordable used ev's for the working poor. It's very ironic that the party that purportedly speaks for the poor, is now actively and intentionally hurting the poor with reckless energy policy.
                          https://www.motortrend.com/features/...c-cars?slide=7

The Cheapest New Electric Cars You Can Buy Right Now

As range goes up and prices come down, we have your guide to cheap electric vehicles.
                          Have faith in the power of competition and innovation brother!

1. 2022 Nissan Leaf S 40 kW | $28,365

A $4,245 price cut for 2022 makes the Nissan Leaf the least-expensive new electric car you can buy, not that you'd know it from the onboard experience. The Leaf's upscale interior and posh ride make it feel more expensive than several pricier cars on this list. The cheapest model comes with a 40-kWh battery that provides the Leaf with 149 miles of range. That's nothing spectacular, but again, it's better than some of the other cars on this list. The Leaf isn't a sporty drive, though, and its charge times aren't great, but considering the price and the amenities, the Nissan Leaf S offers the best we can hope for in a budget car: tremendous value.

Full Disclosure: I had NO IDEA prices had dropped this far already... Rejoice!

The Cheapest New Electric Cars You Can Buy
                          • 10. 2022 Audi Q4 40 E-Tron Premium: $44,945
                          • 9. 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select AWD: $43,995
                          • 8. 2022 Kia Niro EV EX: $41,165
                          • 7. 2021 Volkswagen ID4 Pro: $41,190
                          • 6. 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric SEL: $35,185
                          • 5. 2022 Mazda MX-30 EV: $34,645
                          • 4. 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV 1LT: $33,995
                          • 3. 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EV 1LT: $31,995
                          • 2. 2022 Mini Cooper Electric SE Signature: $30,750
                          • 1. 2022 Nissan Leaf S 40 kW: $28,375

Comment

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...c-cars?slide=7

Have faith in the power of competition and innovation brother!

1. 2022 Nissan Leaf S 40 kW | $28,365

A $4,245 price cut for 2022 makes the Nissan Leaf the least-expensive new electric car you can buy, not that you'd know it from the onboard experience. The Leaf's upscale interior and posh ride make it feel more expensive than several pricier cars on this list. The cheapest model comes with a 40-kWh battery that provides the Leaf with 149 miles of range. That's nothing spectacular, but again, it's better than some of the other cars on this list. The Leaf isn't a sporty drive, though, and its charge times aren't great, but considering the price and the amenities, the Nissan Leaf S offers the best we can hope for in a budget car: tremendous value.

Full Disclosure: I had NO IDEA prices had dropped this far already... Rejoice!

That is less expensive than a used Leaf. And for $7,000. You can get a used, two accident Leaf. Not sure of the dependability of a decade old, twice wrecked Nissan Leaf.

​​​​​

Comment

• Screenshot_20220309-165248_DuckDuckGo.jpg Don't think I'd buy this.

Comment

Then get ready to shell out $8k to $10k for a new battery, that is, wait for it...produced using fossil fuels.

Comment

Working...
                                X