Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police shooting in Minneapolis leads to riots 3.0 I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been pulled over for a number of BS reasons that were used only so the cop could try to find something else. I've also never been involved in any major or minor crime. Never even shoplifted a candy bar or anything of that nature.

I was once ticketed for failure to maintain my lane while driving with orange cones on both sides of the lane. The cop was trying to find something else and this was all because I was a young person out at two or three in the morning. Some of my friends and I had a weekly Halo night where we'd play crazy late. I didn't have the nicest car at the time so I'm sure that's another reason I was singled out.

Nobody is saying there isn't blame outside of police, but bad cops get the publicity and too often are protected by Unions or those that claim to be good cops. There is definitely an issue within law enforcement. It does sometimes attract people who will absolutely abuse their authority. I've seen videos of cops who think everything they say is gospel even when confronted with actual laws and regulations from the lawyer they're harassing. I've seen people who know cops will show up for whatever reason and have the laws/regulations printed out or have an actual book with them in there and the cops think that whatever they think, say and do is right no matter what the laws and regulations actually say.

Yes, these are the minority, but they're allowed to get away with it far too often. Just because you have a badge, doesn't mean you get to willfully ignore the rights of citizens. If police departments did a better job of policing their own, we'd have fewer issues. If they got rid of these types, there would be fewer issues.

These issues could also be dealt with by ending qualified immunity. Make cops have to deal with their actions. Maybe make cops have to carry some sort of insurance to cover times when they overstep. And I'm not saying every time a cop oversteps makes them a bad cop. Sometimes we make poor decisions in moments and that doesn't make us bad people. But they should still have to worry about such actions. Sometimes, I think it's easy for some cops to go too far because they know they're protected. And if it's deemed that they did something wrong, they still don't pay the price. Instead, the tax payers do as they're the ones that end up paying the settlements for bad cops or bad actions.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• That police officer in Columbus did exactly as he was trained. If anyone has seen the video you will see someone with a knife who is really close to two different people and literally swinging the knife at them to do serious harm. Like close enough that if he didn't act she could have, likely would have, stabbed and probably killed the girl. He had a split second to act and he did. It is easy for arm chair police officers to sit back after the fact and judge what should have happened. None of us were in that position. He stopped a potentially very dangerous situation. It had ZERO to do with the race of anyone. People like Lebron need to seriously stop fanning the flames of division and hate. They talk about that all the time, yet they are the hypocrites out there perpetuating it.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          That police officer in Columbus did exactly as he was trained. If anyone has seen the video you will see someone with a knife who is really close to two different people and literally swinging the knife at them to do serious harm. Like close enough that if he didn't act she could have, likely would have, stabbed and probably killed the girl. He had a split second to act and he did. It is easy for arm chair police officers to sit back after the fact and judge what should have happened. None of us were in that position. He stopped a potentially very dangerous situation. It had ZERO to do with the race of anyone. People like Lebron need to seriously stop fanning the flames of division and hate. They talk about that all the time, yet they are the hypocrites out there perpetuating it.
          I haven’t seen the video, but if your description is accurate (and it’s the same as others I have heard), then shooting the suspect is the correct thing to do.

If someone is wielding a knife, you don’t get so close to them that they can stab you. A knife at close range is more deadly than a firearm. You don’t taze someone that is in contact/near contact with others. They aren’t particularly accurate and it adds additional layers of danger. Bean bag rounds require a shotgun to fire. I can’t imagine anything other than a bullet as an appropriate reaction.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

This is an interesting argument and possibly some common ground with which those who value civil liberties and those who feel oppressed by police could possibly come together and trim some government.

I agree that chasing drug offenses and 'smelling pot' in the car is a stupid reason to start ****. Unless the driver has a warrant or the vehicle is stolen or something, this seems like the first stage where cops can just 'let it go'.
            Slippery slope?

Why can’t people who commit crimes just not resist arrest when they’re caught? That would end a lot more problems than anything else.

Nobody is out “to get you” if you aren’t doing anything wrong. But those who flee and make things difficult typically have no respect for laws, authorities, or peacekeeping in general.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I've been pulled over for a number of BS reasons that were used only so the cop could try to find something else. I've also never been involved in any major or minor crime. Never even shoplifted a candy bar or anything of that nature.

I was once ticketed for failure to maintain my lane while driving with orange cones on both sides of the lane. The cop was trying to find something else and this was all because I was a young person out at two or three in the morning. Some of my friends and I had a weekly Halo night where we'd play crazy late. I didn't have the nicest car at the time so I'm sure that's another reason I was singled out.

Nobody is saying there isn't blame outside of police, but bad cops get the publicity and too often are protected by Unions or those that claim to be good cops. There is definitely an issue within law enforcement. It does sometimes attract people who will absolutely abuse their authority. I've seen videos of cops who think everything they say is gospel even when confronted with actual laws and regulations from the lawyer they're harassing. I've seen people who know cops will show up for whatever reason and have the laws/regulations printed out or have an actual book with them in there and the cops think that whatever they think, say and do is right no matter what the laws and regulations actually say.

Yes, these are the minority, but they're allowed to get away with it far too often. Just because you have a badge, doesn't mean you get to willfully ignore the rights of citizens. If police departments did a better job of policing their own, we'd have fewer issues. If they got rid of these types, there would be fewer issues.

These issues could also be dealt with by ending qualified immunity. Make cops have to deal with their actions. Maybe make cops have to carry some sort of insurance to cover times when they overstep. And I'm not saying every time a cop oversteps makes them a bad cop. Sometimes we make poor decisions in moments and that doesn't make us bad people. But they should still have to worry about such actions. Sometimes, I think it's easy for some cops to go too far because they know they're protected. And if it's deemed that they did something wrong, they still don't pay the price. Instead, the tax payers do as they're the ones that end up paying the settlements for bad cops or bad actions.
              Wait, a cop was singling you out and trying to get dirt on you and you aren’t black?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Wait, a cop was singling you out and trying to get dirt on you and you aren’t black?
                That's because it's a universal abuse. Though statistics do show that young black men are targeted for these kinds of stops at a higher rate.

But I've also said it's a policing/policy issue and seldom about race as a whole.

I've also been pulled over for speeding, even though I wasn't and the cop admitted as much when I called him out on how fast I was actually going. Again, just a reason to pull over a young person and try to find reasons to ticket or arrest someone without any actual cause for the initial stop. He tried to tell me I was going something like 10 to 15 over but he obviously wasn't running radar.

My sister works with the police and has openly talked about how they, especially at night, are constantly looking for any minor thing they can to pull people over and see if they can get more.

Reforms are needed. Accountability should be demanded.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

How'd that work for the cops killed in '20 and so far in '21?

They're risking their lives every day, or do you think they're out there hunting down black men?
                  45 to 984 in 2020. I think the Boys in Blue are holding their own.

Number one killer of cops in line of duty in 2020? Covid. Backing the blue in 2020 meant masks and social distancing.
                  Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• powerful read

Comment

Slippery slope?

Why can’t people who commit crimes just not resist arrest when they’re caught? That would end a lot more problems than anything else.

Nobody is out “to get you” if you aren’t doing anything wrong. But those who flee and make things difficult typically have no respect for laws, authorities, or peacekeeping in general.
                      Of course this is the optimal and reasonable response. Yes, you should not resist arrest. And I agree that we need personal responsability. If you have a weapon and resist and are killed, you get zero sympathy from me.

I'm caught between "What is person X with weed in the car doing to impede me from my rights?" Requiring police to intervene and create a situation that otherwise need not happen in order for society to function VS "we have laws that need to be abided by and if you break the law, the cops need to bust you". Which is why we have police. To prevent and defend me from person X from impeding my rights.

I am not trying to excuse bad behavior toward cops. In fact, I would say that in exchange for laxing victimless crime here, you start throwing the book at people who resist arrest and make the crime harsher there.

At the end of the day, the media and the left has mentally ****ed a large swath of several generations with false narratives and lies in order to destroy the country. I don't know how to correct that. I would like for the seemingly minor infractions that escalate because of a poisoned mind go away. And one side doesn't want that to happen because they need the fuel to justify their existence.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

That's because it's a universal abuse. Though statistics do show that young black men are targeted for these kinds of stops at a higher rate.

But I've also said it's a policing/policy issue and seldom about race as a whole.

I've also been pulled over for speeding, even though I wasn't and the cop admitted as much when I called him out on how fast I was actually going. Again, just a reason to pull over a young person and try to find reasons to ticket or arrest someone without any actual cause for the initial stop. He tried to tell me I was going something like 10 to 15 over but he obviously wasn't running radar.

My sister works with the police and has openly talked about how they, especially at night, are constantly looking for any minor thing they can to pull people over and see if they can get more.

Reforms are needed. Accountability should be demanded.
                        It’s a universal issue? Not according to the media and certain politicians.

Im not saying there aren’t bad cops out there that have stereotypical motivations. Those need to be weeded out of the system. But the stories that the media are splattering everywhere, especially recently, are clearly NOT racially motivated. It’s all about the narrative. So every black person that dies at the hands of a white cop is racially motivated.

I agree generally that less police interaction the better but it’s a two way street.

Which minor offenses should police not bother enforcing?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That police officer in Columbus did exactly as he was trained. If anyone has seen the video you will see someone with a knife who is really close to two different people and literally swinging the knife at them to do serious harm. Like close enough that if he didn't act she could have, likely would have, stabbed and probably killed the girl. He had a split second to act and he did. It is easy for arm chair police officers to sit back after the fact and judge what should have happened. None of us were in that position. He stopped a potentially very dangerous situation. It had ZERO to do with the race of anyone. People like Lebron need to seriously stop fanning the flames of division and hate. They talk about that all the time, yet they are the hypocrites out there perpetuating it.
                          A lot of MSM referred to this altercation as a Knife Fight. But I saw another that said this wasn’t a knife fight, it was a stabbing because only one person had a knife. That is a great point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

A lot of MSM referred to this altercation as a Knife Fight. But I saw another that said this wasn’t a knife fight, it was a stabbing because only one person had a knife. That is a great point.
                            Agreed. And, NBC edited the video to not show the girl with the knife and to make it fit a more skewed view of the police shooting as if they were shooting an innocent bystander.

Comment

Agreed. And, NBC edited the video to not show the girl with the knife and to make it fit a more skewed view of the police shooting as if they were shooting an innocent bystander.
                              **** the media
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It’s a universal issue? Not according to the media and certain politicians.

Im not saying there aren’t bad cops out there that have stereotypical motivations. Those need to be weeded out of the system. But the stories that the media are splattering everywhere, especially recently, are clearly NOT racially motivated. It’s all about the narrative. So every black person that dies at the hands of a white cop is racially motivated.

I agree generally that less police interaction the better but it’s a two way street.

Which minor offenses should police not bother enforcing?
                                I have known bad cops (not too many). They are bad because they are power hungry, financially unethical, or don’t have the temperament for the job. There is some evidence that Chauvin was power hungry/wrong temperament and zero evidence his behavior was racially motivated.
                                Racism, even tacit, usually is ferreted out by coworkers or through other interactions way before it gets to the point of killing someone.

I highly recommend Wilfred Reilly’s book “Taboo” where he uses empirical data to refute just about every claim the media and professional dividers are making about the subject. You cannot lose an argument about race related shooting using his data as a source. Oh, by the way, he is black, teaches at an HBCU and is not some far right shill.

Comment

Working...
                                X