Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police shooting in Minneapolis leads to riots 3.0 I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're not entirely wrong. Hit in the right spot in the leg, and I'm pretty sure you can bleed out in something like 15 minutes or less. A torso shot simply depends on what you hit. There are areas that will kill you pretty quick as well, but more area that you can most definitely survive.

I'm still amazed at how many people online think Hollywood movies are real and all cops are expert marksmen and can hit any body part that want while it's in motion. Truth is, you aim center mass and fire multiple times to stop a threat. Pretty simple.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      You're not entirely wrong. Hit in the right spot in the leg, and I'm pretty sure you can bleed out in something like 15 minutes or less. A torso shot simply depends on what you hit. There are areas that will kill you pretty quick as well, but more area that you can most definitely survive.
      Somebody with a knife inside a 21 foot radius can kill you before you can draw your weapon. That why there is the "Tueller Drill" named after Sgt. Tueller who looked at the scenario to see what was the lethal radius for people armed with a blade.

I'm still amazed at how many people online think Hollywood movies are real and all cops are expert marksmen and can hit any body part that want while it's in motion. Truth is, you aim center mass and fire multiple times to stop a threat. Pretty simple.
      Police officers are generally not "gun people" with some exceptions. Going to gun ranges is work for them, not a sport or place of enjoyment.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        Beer is good and people are craaaazy!

Road rage incident in Wichita leads to arrest (ksn.com)
        Seems like a reasonable infraction that should be enforced.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Well, I don’t think they would decrease. In fact, search and frisk laws decreased violent crime. If we give more control to the police, crime will go down. It’s all a measure of how much freedom you are willing to give up so someone can keep you safe. We all have a line we feel is appropriate. Because that line is not the same for everyone, we have a few ways to determine it. We’ve decided to elect our saviors/oppressors. Some of those elected have decided that natural rights are not natural, yet it is the system we have chosen and we must accept or reject it.

Ip some level, the prevention of minor infractions prevents major crimes. At some level, the enforcement of minor infractions creates major ones. Quite the balancing act.
          It is a balancing act. But then you start the slippery slope of which laws should stay and which should go. There definitely is a financial incentive for the government but I think a high percentage of them are there for good reason and intentions.

Ironically, the media is focused on people that all have been suspected of or committed more serious crimes. I don’t see how getting rid of a few “minor” laws is going to change things all that much. Generally speaking, you aren’t going to run from the police for a turn signal violation unless maybe you’re running or hiding from something else, generally more serious.

Laws aren’t the problem. Compliance and behavior is.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

It is a balancing act. But then you start the slippery slope of which laws should stay and which should go. There definitely is a financial incentive for the government but I think a high percentage of them are there for good reason and intentions.

Ironically, the media is focused on people that all have been suspected of or committed more serious crimes. I don’t see how getting rid of a few “minor” laws is going to change things all that much. Generally speaking, you aren’t going to run from the police for a turn signal violation unless maybe you’re running or hiding from something else, generally more serious.

Laws aren’t the problem. Compliance and behavior is.
            Agree with most of it, but the slippery slope goes both ways. Too many laws and your freedom is gone. I want more independence, you want more safety. It’s not a problem unless the safety someone else wants infringes on YOUR freedom.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Comment

Every law on the books is enforced, eventually, at the end of a gun.
                Sorry, I'm late to the party on this discussion, but I have some thoughts.

Laws are there for deterrents, and police enforce a minor percentage of laws broken because there aren't enough policemen to enforce every law. Police do not enforce every law even when they see them because they don't have enough time, or perhaps other reasons. Do you think they should just take vandalism of businesses or houses off of the books and not have that law because they have to arrest someone eventually?

I saw a speed trap (multiple police cars on different blocks on Rock Road a while back. They must have had data that speed or accidents had been a problem and/or possible complaints from businesses or residents to set up the enforcement mechanism. Should they have just let it go, and allow people to drive the speed they want to perhaps 60 mph down Rock Road? I also see those same mechanisms set up around Maize Road, and Kellogg. There must be reasons and data for setting them up.

Again, my main point is that laws are broken all the time because we don't have enough police to enforce them, and most police aren't looking for people to break laws. Laws and police are there mainly for deterrents, and enforce a minor number of laws broken (including homicides), because we don't have a Secret Police like China, Russia, or Cuba. Do you think that we should not have those laws on the books and more freedom or deterrents. Is the legislature the problem?

Comment

• You're right. Laws that generate money when enforced are more likely to be a focus of police departments, while what I would call real crimes, have arrest rates way below what they were a few decades ago.

And there are a lot of laws that are enforced that really do nothing to protect others. There are laws that are over enforced. There are laws where they unnecessarily escalate force for no reason, but they generate revenue when enforced. So yes, there are a lot of laws that are enforced essentially at the end of a gun that are unnecessary.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

You're right. Laws that generate money when enforced are more likely to be a focus of police departments, while what I would call real crimes, have arrest rates way below what they were a few decades ago.

And there are a lot of laws that are enforced that really do nothing to protect others. There are laws that are over enforced. There are laws where they unnecessarily escalate force for no reason, but they generate revenue when enforced. So yes, there are a lot of laws that are enforced essentially at the end of a gun that are unnecessary.
                    I could be wrong, but a lot of the speed enforcement isn't always enforced because of money. Sometimes, I think that they are enforced because of data gathered, such as the number of accidents, close calls to accidents, school reports of danger of children, resident reports, business reports, etc.

I have to admit that I speed often and haven't been stopped for about five years. I would doubt that I'm unique in this way.
                    Perhaps a policeman or former policeman can give some input into this too if we have one on here.
                    Last edited by Shockm; May 7, 2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

You're right. Laws that generate money when enforced are more likely to be a focus of police departments, while what I would call real crimes, have arrest rates way below what they were a few decades ago.

What laws specifically are over enforced and aren’t there to protect others?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Suicide, helmet laws, seat belts, airbags specifically don’t protect others. Probably mask laws too.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Regulations aren’t generally enforced by cops, but they are laws and often protect no one.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• You can add window tint enforcement, and other nonsensical vehicular issues that harm nobody but generate ticket revenue and allow police to "search" for other "crimes" like drug possession. Which then brings you to pretty much every drug law. Pretty much every gun law. Excessive licensing requirements are a money grab by the state/local governments that are enforced by police.

All things that end up requiring excessive force for no real good reason, or generate money through fines or asset forfeiture. And there are plenty more.

Again, police should focus on actual crime. The things that actually infringe upon other people's rights and do actual harm to others, instead of being the ones that are actually causing harm to those that aren't hurting anyone.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Suicide, helmet laws, seat belts, airbags specifically don’t protect others. Probably mask laws too.
                              I don't believe there are laws on the books for suicide and airbags. Certainly don't see a cop pulling anybody for those offenses.

Seat belt and helmet laws are overly enforced? Where? Here? I don't think there is a helmet law above a certain age in Kansas. And I'm not sure how many people are pulled over for not wearing their seat belt but I have to believe it's not many.

Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

You can add window tint enforcement, and other nonsensical vehicular issues that harm nobody but generate ticket revenue and allow police to "search" for other "crimes" like drug possession. Which then brings you to pretty much every drug law. Pretty much every gun law. Excessive licensing requirements are a money grab by the state/local governments that are enforced by police.

All things that end up requiring excessive force for no real good reason, or generate money through fines or asset forfeiture. And there are plenty more.

Again, police should focus on actual crime. The things that actually infringe upon other people's rights and do actual harm to others, instead of being the ones that are actually causing harm to those that aren't hurting anyone.
                                When somebody is pulled over and their windows are 90% tinted, it leaves a lot of guessing games and assumptions. It's also another way to mask one's self when committing a crime. Instead of bitching about getting a ticket, why not just keep it under the legal limit?

So you think drug and alcohol laws should just go away? Do you think that'll help society or hurt society? Do you think someone's chances of afflicting bodily harm go up or down when under the influence of certain things?

Sure there's money at stake there, but that's because you have legions of people that don't bother following laws. The two or three other laws you mentioned have more intentions than just being a "money grab".

Cops cause harm? To people that aren't hurting anyone? Huh?
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X