Defunding/Abolishing Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shock View Post

It’s Minnesota. The intent is sharia law.
    I think you might be confusing Minnesota with Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I've spent a good bit of time in both of those states. They both have a couple of big cities populated with crazies, with most of the balance of the remainder being similar to Kansas, or Oklahoma, or whatever in ideology.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Ilhan Omar
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

True, but Michigan has Dearborn, which has the largest Muslim population in the US.

Comment

Portland City Commissioner Pushing 'Defund the Police' Calls 911 — Over Argument With Lyft Driver

Comment

These brain dead idiots are backtracking now that they realize crime is sky rocketing. Gee, you think? What did they think was going to happen?

Two Minneapolis City Council Members are denying their involvement with the "defund the police" movement just days after the council approved a budget that shifted approximately $8 million from the police department and months after they joined colleagues in calling for the dismantlement of the Minnesota city's department.

Two Minneapolis City Council Members are denying their involvement with the "defund the police" movement just days after the council approved a budget that shifted approximately $8 million from the police department and months after they joined colleagues in calling for the dismantlement of the Minnesota city's department.

City Council Member Steve Fletcher rejected the idea that the council's goal was to defund the police during a recent interview with local news station KSTP-TV – and instead said the budget cuts came as a result of the need to fund other programs.

"'Defund' is not the framework the council has ever chosen," Fletcher said during the interview that aired this week. He was seated next to Council Member Phillipe Cunningham, who agreed.

Fletcher and Cunningham were two of the nine city council members who attended an event in June where they stood behind a sign that stated "defund police" and said they would dismantle the police department, just weeks after the May 25 death of George Floyd, according to the report.

Comment

California’s Zero-Bail Policies Have Been A Deadly Failure

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...y_failure.html

Even the staunchest bail reform advocates were compelled to take a step back after the horrific events of September 6. In Sacramento, Troy Davis, a convicted felon, broke into 61-year-old Kate Tibbitts’s home, raped and murdered her, slaughtered her two dogs, and then set the house ablaze. The night before, Davis had exposed himself on a neighbor’s porch.

When it emerged that Davis had been released on zero bail, the impetus for a bail reform bill that was steamrolling its way through the California Senate immediately screeched to a halt.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert laid the blame for Davis’s heinous acts squarely on California’s bail policies. She indicated that zero bail was misapplied in his case, as parolees should not have been eligible for free release. But she also cautioned that the right to an affordable bail, as stipulated in Senate Bill 262, would have set Davis free pending trial no matter what.

Report At The Time of the Crime: https://truecrimedaily.com/2021/09/0...-tibbits-dogs/

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  California’s Zero-Bail Policies Have Been A Deadly Failure

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...y_failure.html

Even the staunchest bail reform advocates were compelled to take a step back after the horrific events of September 6. In Sacramento, Troy Davis, a convicted felon, broke into 61-year-old Kate Tibbitts’s home, raped and murdered her, slaughtered her two dogs, and then set the house ablaze. The night before, Davis had exposed himself on a neighbor’s porch.

When it emerged that Davis had been released on zero bail, the impetus for a bail reform bill that was steamrolling its way through the California Senate immediately screeched to a halt.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert laid the blame for Davis’s heinous acts squarely on California’s bail policies. She indicated that zero bail was misapplied in his case, as parolees should not have been eligible for free release. But she also cautioned that the right to an affordable bail, as stipulated in Senate Bill 262, would have set Davis free pending trial no matter what.

Report At The Time of the Crime: https://truecrimedaily.com/2021/09/0...-tibbits-dogs/
                  The sad part is, if Davis is black and a cop shot him in the act, there would have been riots and murals painted in Davis' honor.

And a large portion of the ignorant masses would virtue signal against the police.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

And we see wokeness stupidity win again as a jury of 12 morons convict police officer Kim Potter of 1st and 2nd degree manslaughter.

She should lose her job, I'll grant you that. The thought process prevalent now towards the police defies common sense.

I need more guns and more ammo because criminals are going to continue to feel empowered and emboldened.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      And we see wokeness stupidity win again as a jury of 12 morons convict police officer Kim Potter of 1st and 2nd degree manslaughter.

She should lose her job, I'll grant you that. The thought process prevalent now towards the police defies common sense.

I need more guns and more ammo because criminals are going to continue to feel empowered and emboldened.
                      Whether the judge will go with the maximum or something less (or much less) is to be determined. While I totally believe it was an accident on her part and not purposeful, I believe verdict met the requirements of "For a conviction, the state had to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Potter handled her firearm “recklessly” and showed culpable negligence in her actions that resulted in Wright’s death."

In general, culpability has mild connotations. It is used to mean reprehensible rather than wantonly or grossly negligent behavior. Culpable conduct may be wrong, but it is not necessarily criminal (think purposeful).

Comment

I just don't see how anyone is likely to want to join the force going forward.

Comment

I haven't followed the Potter case closely, but it's not like they convicted her of murder, which would have been absolutely wrong. She was reckless and a gun and taser do not feel the same and an officer should also know which side of their body they're carrying each.

I may be in the minority here, but police should have more accountability for their actions. That includes the really shitty ones who knowingly and willingly abuse their power and hide behind the badge while committing crimes against citizens and violations of the Constitution as well as those who make grave mistakes like this one probably was. She should have known better. She should have used better judgement. She shouldn't have killed anyone. If a regular citizen makes a mistake that leads to the death of an individual without willful intent to kill or even harm, they face criminal actions as well and pay that price. Police should be no different.

You want people to have better views of law enforcement and to treat them better? Much of that improves with better police accountability and holding those who do wrong responsible. Too often do cops get away with no real punishment. There's still the guy in Arizona who killed a man, on video, who was complying with every single order he was given. That officer faced no criminal action, was let go and then rehired shortly afterward.

Police officers are held to much lower standards and face much less disciplinary action that soldiers in combat zones. How much ****ing sense does that make? And I don't have a major problem with our troops having high standards when it comes to rules of engagement. I do have a problem with our police force who deal with American citizens, having such insanely low standards when it comes to such things. And it's not all about death and shooting. Basic rights are trampled and ignored often, even when caught on camera or their own body cams.

Like the case where police repeatedly came to a home looking for a runaway who wasn't there. They purposefully came when the parents were away at work and tried to intimidate the underage kids who were there, eventually illegally entered the home, shoved the kid by his face and then threw him down and arrested him. They then continued to illegally search the home and take the kid to the station. The kid was released and I believe all charges against him were dropped (there were no legit charges) and the officers have to this day faced zero consequences even though the entire even was captured on home surveillance.

There are way too many cases like these, and many other horrible actions that go unpunished that lead to so much distrust. Yes, there are some yahoos that will hate all cops no matter what, but most of the distrust and animosity is built on cases such as these and police departments protecting despicable people who should never have a badge to hide behind. Plus, the badge shouldn't offer anyone a hiding place anyway. If police departments truly policed their own and stopped protecting assholes and justifying abuses, there would be a lot less animosity in this country. The media and hardcore leftists push an agenda, but most people don't fall into their demographic. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that they do.

Most people will show respect as long as they're also being respected. You can't be an asshole and then hide behind a badge and think you deserve something more than disdain.

I feel like I always have to preface such posts, here as well as FB, with acknowledging the fact that I have a good relationship with a number of people in law enforcement. I've had good discussions and debates amongst many topics and they often agree with a number of my stances. With that said, the majority of officers I know work in smaller communities where they are held to higher standards by the community as well as city councils and they don't have a problem with that. They understand their roles within the community. Some have worked previously in larger cities and have some interesting perspectives, but generally agree that their are departments out there, and too many, that are all too willing to circle the wagons to protect their shitheads.

Back to Potter, I'm sure she genuinely feels bad for what happened and didn't kill on purpose. But she did and should face some consequences. I'm not sure what the maximum is for what she was convicted of and I have no problem with her spending a short time in prison if need be, but also wouldn't be completely opposed to a long probationary period with restrictions. She should never be allowed to work in law enforcement again.

Another post that got away from me and went on way too long. But it is what it is.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm not sure what the maximum is for what she was convicted of and I have no problem with her spending a short time in prison if need be, but also wouldn't be completely opposed to a long probationary period with restrictions. She should never be allowed to work in law enforcement again.
                            Convicted of 1st and 2nd degree manslaughter. 1st carries up to 15 years + fine, 2nd degree carries 10 years + fine. I'm assuming the judge could go to run concurrently and for shorter periods.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              I haven't followed the Potter case closely, but it's not like they convicted her of murder, which would have been absolutely wrong. She was reckless and a gun and taser do not feel the same and an officer should also know which side of their body they're carrying each.

I may be in the minority here, but police should have more accountability for their actions. That includes the really shitty ones who knowingly and willingly abuse their power and hide behind the badge while committing crimes against citizens and violations of the Constitution as well as those who make grave mistakes like this one probably was. She should have known better. She should have used better judgement. She shouldn't have killed anyone. If a regular citizen makes a mistake that leads to the death of an individual without willful intent to kill or even harm, they face criminal actions as well and pay that price. Police should be no different.

You want people to have better views of law enforcement and to treat them better? Much of that improves with better police accountability and holding those who do wrong responsible. Too often do cops get away with no real punishment. There's still the guy in Arizona who killed a man, on video, who was complying with every single order he was given. That officer faced no criminal action, was let go and then rehired shortly afterward.

Police officers are held to much lower standards and face much less disciplinary action that soldiers in combat zones. How much ****ing sense does that make? And I don't have a major problem with our troops having high standards when it comes to rules of engagement. I do have a problem with our police force who deal with American citizens, having such insanely low standards when it comes to such things. And it's not all about death and shooting. Basic rights are trampled and ignored often, even when caught on camera or their own body cams.

Like the case where police repeatedly came to a home looking for a runaway who wasn't there. They purposefully came when the parents were away at work and tried to intimidate the underage kids who were there, eventually illegally entered the home, shoved the kid by his face and then threw him down and arrested him. They then continued to illegally search the home and take the kid to the station. The kid was released and I believe all charges against him were dropped (there were no legit charges) and the officers have to this day faced zero consequences even though the entire even was captured on home surveillance.

There are way too many cases like these, and many other horrible actions that go unpunished that lead to so much distrust. Yes, there are some yahoos that will hate all cops no matter what, but most of the distrust and animosity is built on cases such as these and police departments protecting despicable people who should never have a badge to hide behind. Plus, the badge shouldn't offer anyone a hiding place anyway. If police departments truly policed their own and stopped protecting assholes and justifying abuses, there would be a lot less animosity in this country. The media and hardcore leftists push an agenda, but most people don't fall into their demographic. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that they do.

Most people will show respect as long as they're also being respected. You can't be an asshole and then hide behind a badge and think you deserve something more than disdain.

I feel like I always have to preface such posts, here as well as FB, with acknowledging the fact that I have a good relationship with a number of people in law enforcement. I've had good discussions and debates amongst many topics and they often agree with a number of my stances. With that said, the majority of officers I know work in smaller communities where they are held to higher standards by the community as well as city councils and they don't have a problem with that. They understand their roles within the community. Some have worked previously in larger cities and have some interesting perspectives, but generally agree that their are departments out there, and too many, that are all too willing to circle the wagons to protect their shitheads.

Back to Potter, I'm sure she genuinely feels bad for what happened and didn't kill on purpose. But she did and should face some consequences. I'm not sure what the maximum is for what she was convicted of and I have no problem with her spending a short time in prison if need be, but also wouldn't be completely opposed to a long probationary period with restrictions. She should never be allowed to work in law enforcement again.

Another post that got away from me and went on way too long. But it is what it is.
                              Glad I’m not a policeman, and also sad we have such a shortage of them. It’s become a thankless job, and we are probably in for a decade or two of societal crime ridden consequences. I guess in those communities with such a shortage of policemen, you just need to avoid heavy crime, unsafe areas. So Potter could get 25 years for a mistake that you said you feel she’s genuinely apologetic for what happened. Quite a price to pay. Here’s the kicker. In Minnesota, New York, California, Washington, and other liberal run states, one can’t even carry a gun to protect themselves. My advice is to stay away from big cities, especially after dark, or hope your car doesn’t break down.

One thing that you don’t mention is that this situation consisted of her mistake during a possible life and death situation that was filled with chaos and confusion. I’ve never had a dangerous situation where I had to make split second decisions that could be the result of life or death.
                              Last edited by Shockm; December 23, 2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

One thing that you don’t mention is that this situation consisted of her mistake during a possible life and death situation that was filled with chaos and confusion. I’ve never had a dangerous situation where I had to make split second decisions that could be the result of life or death.
                                Again, why are our military who are knowingly surrounded by those who mean them hard held to such stricter standards that police against American citizens?

There are some cities that have absolutely **** on police and made their jobs more difficult. The increase in crime there is on the politicians, though in some cases, the police force isn't completely devoid of blame as their actions and protection of bad officers lead to the distrust and unrest as well. Pretending police are infallible and do no wrong is just as harmful as those who think they do no right.

Police are also trained, or should be, to keep their cool in chaotic situations. Hell, they expect the average citizen to do that with zero training. Why aren't they held to the same standards?

I also sincerely doubt she gets 25 years for this and she shouldn't. But she should spend some time behind bars for her actions. Just because she feels bad for what she did doesn't mean she gets to avoid the consequences of her actions. That would be a real shitty way for justice to work. And why is it so controversial to believe law enforcement should face the same consequences as an average Joe when the break the law or infringe upon someone else's rights? They're not above the law or any more important than you or me. They also go into a profession they know could potentially be dangerous and it's a risk the sign up for. Much like our military, who's jobs are far more dangerous in combat regions but have much more accountability and rules than police.

Again, some of these poor decisions and whatnot wouldn't be viewed so harshly by so many if police were found more accountable for their actions, especially the blatant misconduct that is often protected and I gave a few examples of previously. You get those shitheads off the force and stop protecting them and their ilk and you will definitely have less backlash for more minor things and misunderstanding that get blown out of proportion now because their is nearly no accountability far too often.

And if you're worried about crime, you should convince more police departments to focus on crime prevention or actually solving cases and less on revenue generation for petty ****. Reallocate some of those officers and actually solve cases. The rate of successfully solving crimes has gone way the **** down over the years and it's not because there aren't enough officers. It's more to do with departments focusing their efforts elsewhere. And in a few rare cases, it's on DAs who won't prosecute, but that's more recent and in very few select cities.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X