Defunding/Abolishing Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    I'm just waiting for the progressives to eat their own, intellectually. Can't support police reform, and their union, as the same time. Have to choose one or the other. It is a meme waiting to be generated.
    Progressives lost the police vote some time ago.

If I were doing it, I would emphasize the need for reform as a social justice issue and spin it to make the optics look palatable. Ask your favorite black friend what a DWB is. I've had similar things being from out of town (once notably, in St. Louis). They get pulled over because of the color of their skin in some places. I got pulled over because I was headed to State Farm (Bloomington/Normal, Ill.) for their examination and I had a car full of stuff. They thought i was running drugs.

Always remember in politics, if the people who aren't your voters have an issue, you throw them under the bus. Trump's been doing that to just about everybody he disagrees with, not realizing you have to make the calculation regards how many people in that demographic would vote for you.

This is about votes. If you side with the police, you lose the black vote. If you side with the blacks you lose the police vote. Since the police don't vote for you, they are 'somewhat' expendable.

There are a lot of moderates (and progressives, the ones you would call a lib, not AOC) who don't buy into the defund the police thing. The issue is more and better training. Emphasize non-violent solutions. Measure compliance. Remember, "you get what you inspect, not what you expect."

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Progressives lost the police vote some time ago.

If I were doing it, I would emphasize the need for reform as a social justice issue and spin it to make the optics look palatable. Ask your favorite black friend what a DWB is. I've had similar things being from out of town (once notably, in St. Louis). They get pulled over because of the color of their skin in some places. I got pulled over because I was headed to State Farm (Bloomington/Normal, Ill.) for their examination and I had a car full of stuff. They thought i was running drugs.

Always remember in politics, if the people who aren't your voters have an issue, you throw them under the bus. Trump's been doing that to just about everybody he disagrees with, not realizing you have to make the calculation regards how many people in that demographic would vote for you.

This is about votes. If you side with the police, you lose the black vote. If you side with the blacks you lose the police vote. Since the police don't vote for you, they are 'somewhat' expendable.

There are a lot of moderates (and progressives, the ones you would call a lib, not AOC) who don't buy into the defund the police thing. The issue is more and better training. Emphasize non-violent solutions. Measure compliance. Remember, "you get what you inspect, not what you expect."
      https://www.city-journal.org/html/ra...ked-12244.html

The same is true for violent crimes. Stops of criminals match up proportionally with the rate at which a certain ethnicity commits crimes.

I was also stopped and the police thought my entomology collection was drugs. Pretty sure they stopped me for being white.

Im done being polite with “my truth” narratives. They might be true on an individual basis, but they don’t say **** about reality.
      Livin the dream

Comment

The Atlanta policeman that shot Rashard Brooks has been charged with Felony Murder. The police officer that was called to the scene to support Rolfe was charged with lessor offenses.

The Atlanta police force has called in sick for the night. The Mayor is requesting help from adjacent districts. Thus far they have not responded to any calls.

Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

https://www.city-journal.org/html/ra...ked-12244.html

The same is true for violent crimes. Stops of criminals match up proportionally with the rate at which a certain ethnicity commits crimes.

I was also stopped and the police thought my entomology collection was drugs. Pretty sure they stopped me for being white.

Im done being polite with “my truth” narratives. They might be true on an individual basis, but they don’t say **** about reality.
          I share my experiences with him so that he understands it's not always about color. Still, when we started comparing notes, seemed like he'd been in this situation many more times than I did. That tells me something. Probably hard to quantify because it's anecdotal, but I didn't think the difference could just be shrugged off. However, he needs to understand that even in a perfect world it will still happen, as both of us have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I share my experiences with him so that he understands it's not always about color. Still, when we started comparing notes, seemed like he'd been in this situation many more times than I did. That tells me something. Probably hard to quantify because it's anecdotal, but I didn't think the difference could just be shrugged off. However, he needs to understand that even in a perfect world it will still happen, as both of us have seen.
            It can be shrugged off. It’s a narrative and not representative of reality. The reality is that the police haven’t targeted black people because they are black in at least a generation.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
              Listen, if it's really just "overhaul" the police department -- that's okay. If so, they chose a seriously spooky way to present it, but an overhaul is probably healthy, like it would be with any large organization -- especially if it's got some serious underlying issues.

But the minute I hear any discussion about a private militia being allowed to carry weapons (auxillary police, community police, whatever you want to call it): it's a hard no and I would expect the governor AND the feds to intervene.

I don't know what the intent is, but if they really are just wanting to completely revamp the local PD -- which is ultimately voter owned and ran -- then there's no issue from where I sit.
              It’s Minnesota. The intent is sharia law.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Depends which will make them the most money.

Well, there ya go:

9ea9116d7609ab2e0a76f2797b980f0db77726010c53f783f66f8af861dd958d.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                  The Atlanta policeman that shot Rashard Brooks has been charged with Felony Murder. The police officer that was called to the scene to support Rolfe was charged with lessor offenses.

The Atlanta police force has called in sick for the night. The Mayor is requesting help from adjacent districts. Thus far they have not responded to any calls.
                  And so it begins.
                  Last edited by Kung Wu; June 17, 2020, 10:15 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

If there was a doomsday clock for civil war, it would be dangerously close to midnight right about now.

The rampant stupidity from the left is fueling a scary, potentially wildly violent crescendo.

To be honest, what worries me the most right now (other than the obvious, a far left takeover of our country which will signal the end of the USA) is a well armed group of people that gets pushed too far and obliterates a large number of protestors/civilians.

And our conservative leaders, with their spineless kowtowing to the mob, are not helping the situation. In fact, they're pushing us all closer to a bloody conclusion.

Comment

The leftist's goal is to abolish the electorate either by hook or crook. Hell, they'd frame the President of the Republic if they thought that'd do it. Oh, wait...

It's way too late for them to turn back now. From the beginning (think Crossfire Hurricane) they decided that the only other option was going to be a Scorched Earth policy. Well...

All of the reckless and irresponsible rhetoric from the left that began in 2016 has never stopped, but rather, has intensified, every-single-day.

Comment

This DA in Fulton County is a complete idiot. He's just guaranteed riots in his city when these police officers are found not guilty of these ridiculous charges.

Comment

Vote democrat=cities are shitholes full of corruption.

Don't vote democrat=Unleash far left groups, nonstop propaganda and whip up into a frenzy to just burn the place down.

Vote Republican=Get sold a bill of goods. Feel double crossed.

Don't vote Republican=see Vote Democrat.

We're screwed either way. Maybe we need a civil war to reset the constitution.

As I've heard and I believe, not sure who said it: Every institution that isn't specifically intended to be conservative will move left over time, regardless of anything.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                            Vote democrat=cities are shitholes full of corruption.

Don't vote democrat=Unleash far left groups, nonstop propaganda and whip up into a frenzy to just burn the place down.

Vote Republican=Get sold a bill of goods. Feel double crossed.

Don't vote Republican=see Vote Democrat.

We're screwed either way. Maybe we need a civil war to reset the constitution.

As I've heard and I believe, not sure who said it: Every institution that isn't specifically intended to be conservative will move left over time, regardless of anything.
                            BOHICA!
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              If there was a doomsday clock for civil war, it would be dangerously close to midnight right about now.

The rampant stupidity from the left is fueling a scary, potentially wildly violent crescendo.

To be honest, what worries me the most right now (other than the obvious, a far left takeover of our country which will signal the end of the USA) is a well armed group of people that gets pushed too far and obliterates a large number of protestors/civilians.

And our conservative leaders, with their spineless kowtowing to the mob, are not helping the situation. In fact, they're pushing us all closer to a bloody conclusion.
                              you know, I work at a pretty unique FQHC that would bend over backwards for a doctor. We have housing....
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I'm thinking the term "gentrification" will become a part of our history rather than an actively used word, fairly soon. The revitalization of city cores around the country are about to come to a screeching halt. Suburbs will continue to be culturally mocked, but at the end of the day that's where a lot of people will find themselves and their 30 year mortgage commitments. Few progressives will actually put their money where their mouths are, real estate-speaking.

Just a wild guess I am making.

Comment

Working...
                                X