Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Yeah, like ShockerFever, I'm curious why you posted that. It's either sarcasm, because you still believe that Kansas doesn't have a different reporting methodology that skews the rankings that you posted, or you are now flip-flopping and agree that Kansas has a different reporting methodology that makes the "ranking" that you posted worthless?

Which is it?
    I was being sarcastic. Very sarcastic. Kansas is very behind in reporting. A friend of mine in the long-term care biz has been keeping me abreast of things - deaths, Covid standing orders, etc.

Comment

• An 18-year-old student from Georgia and her watersports-athlete boyfriend were sentenced to four months by a Cayman Island court after she slipped out of her wristband monitor to watch him compete at a local race instead of quarantining after arriving from the U.S., according to local reports.

Georgia student violates Cayman Islands coronavirus quarantine laws, jailed for 4 months: reports

Skylar Mack, her boyfriend were jailed immediately after their sentences were handed down

An 18-year-old student from Georgia and her watersports-athlete boyfriend were sentenced to four months by a Cayman Island court after she slipped out of her wristband monitor to watch him compete at a local race instead of quarantining after arriving from the U.S., according to local reports.

Skylar Mack and her boyfriend, Cayman Islands-based competitive Jet Skier Vanjae Ramgeet were jailed immediately after their sentences were handed down on Tuesday. An island judge issued the four-month term after overturning a previous sentence of 40 hours of community service and a $2,600 fine each, according to a report from the Cayman News Service.

"This was as flagrant a breach as could be imagined," Grand Court Justice Roger Chapple told the court, according to the Cayman Compass. "It was borne of selfishness and arrogance."
      Love that last quote as it encapsulates my feelings exactly.

4 months is a little steep for an 18 yr. old, but the judge is making a statement. I would have sentenced the kids to a week of classroom study on the mechanics of disease transmission, and Covid current events during the day, then off to a hospital to work in the morgue until midnight. Give them about 6 hours sleep before going back to class. I would think after a week of that they would be "rehabilitated".

Secretly got extra excited when I found out the offender's name was SKYLAR!!!

Every Skylar needs a little jailtime in their lives on principle alone.

Comment

• Sweden's king on coronavirus strategy: 'We have failed'

Sweden’s king said in a new address that the country’s strategy to slow the spread of COVID-19 has “failed” as the fatality count in the Scandinavian country continues to rise.

Carl XVI Gustaf told residents of the country in his annual Christmas address that Sweden has suffered “enormously” amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and it is “traumatic” that many loved ones of the nearly 8,000 people who have died from COVID-19 were unable to say goodbye to them in person.

“I think we have failed. We have a large number who have died and that is terrible. It is something we all have to suffer with,” the king said in comments that were released on Thursday and will be broadcast in full on Monday, as translated by the Financial Times.
        Sweden has resisted implementing a nationwide lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic, unlike many of its fellow European nations.

However, Swedish officials are reportedly considering implementing lockdowns as some of the country’s intensive care units reach capacity, The New York Times reported this week

Sweden’s top infectious disease expert said late last month that the country has not seen evidence of herd immunity slowing the spread of COVID-19 in the country. Herd immunity is the point at which a disease stops spreading widely through a population because enough individuals are immune to it, either via recovering from an infection or through vaccinations.
        Well that takes care of that...

The reality is, we may not even have a strong herd immunity w/ a 95% efficacy vaccine. We know we won't get full participation and the idea of durable immunity w/ Covid-19 has mostly gone out the window. Reinfections are everywhere. What we don't know is how durable the vaccine immunity is. I'm hoping on average, much better than the immune response from community transmission.

The one thing I can be really thankful for this holiday season is, no serious viral mutations as of yet causing us to have to reformulate. *knock on wood*

I'm sure that will come in the future though if we aren't able to eradicate this virus. The flu has had several thousand years to evolve a multitude of strains that we have to take pot shots at every year w/ varying degrees of success. It could very well be that we will be doing Flu/Covid combos from here on out.

Another side effect of having mass infections that nobody is talking about, is the chance of a dangerous mutation every time someone gets infected. The lower our infection rate, the lower the probability something really scary happens...all things being equal. Just letting a novel virus spread freely is not best practices in any scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          https://thehill.com/policy/internati...we-have-failed

Sweden's king on coronavirus strategy: 'We have failed'

Well that takes care of that...

The reality is, we may not even have a strong herd immunity w/ a 95% efficacy vaccine. We know we won't get full participation and the idea of durable immunity w/ Covid-19 has mostly gone out the window. Reinfections are everywhere. What we don't know is how durable the vaccine immunity is. I'm hoping on average, much better than the immune response from community transmission.

The one thing I can be really thankful for this holiday season is, no serious viral mutations as of yet causing us to have to reformulate. *knock on wood*

I'm sure that will come in the future though if we aren't able to eradicate this virus. The flu has had several thousand years to evolve a multitude of strains that we have to take pot shots at every year w/ varying degrees of success. It could very well be that we will be doing Flu/Covid combos from here on out.

Another side effect of having mass infections that nobody is talking about, is the chance of a dangerous mutation every time someone gets infected. The lower our infection rate, the lower the probability something really scary happens...all things being equal. Just letting a novel virus spread freely is not best practices in any scenario.
          If the virus mutates is it no longer an alien virus, or is it a super-duper alien virus? The world must know!
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Judge rules to allow restaurants to re-open in San Diego as the State / County have not shown any evidence that restaurants spread Covid. Good for this judge. Newsom is in some serious trouble as the recall effort is beginning to pick up steam. People are sick of the tyranny.

Thursday afternoon, a San Diego judge held a last-minute hearing to clarify a bombshell court order allowing strip clubs, strip clubs that serve food, and thus restaurants to reopen. The order doesn’t just buck Governor Gavin Newsom’s Dec. 5 shutdown order (which forced strip clubs to close and relegated restaurants to takeout only), this also undermines the tier system that…

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

If the virus mutates is it no longer an alien virus, or is it a super-duper alien virus? The world must know!
              That easy! As it mutates it becomes synthetically hybridized and thus more "human".

This reminds me of a fascinating article I read the other day...

The coronavirus may sometimes slip its genetic material into human chromosomes—but what does that mean?

People who recover from COVID-19 sometimes later test positive for SARS-CoV-2, suggesting their immune systems could not ward off a second attack by the coronavirus or that they have a lingering infection. A study now hints at a different explanation in which the virus hides in an unexpected place. The work, only reported in a preprint, suggests the pandemic pathogen takes a page from HIV and other retroviruses and integrates its genetic code—but, importantly, just parts of it—into people’s chromosomes. The phenomenon, if true and frequent, could have profound implications that range from false signals of active infection to misleading results from COVID-19 treatment studies.
              All viruses insert their genetic material into the cells they infect, but it generally remains separate from the cell’s own DNA. Jaenisch’s team, intrigued by reports of people testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 after recovering, wondered whether these puzzling results reflected something of an artifact from the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assay, which detects specific virus sequences in biological samples such as nasal swabs, even if they are fragmented and can’t produce new viruses. “Why do we have this positivity, which is now seen all over the place, long after the active infection has disappeared?” says Jaenisch, who collaborated with the lab of MIT’s Richard Young.

To test whether SARS-CoV-2’s RNA genome could integrate into the DNA of our chromosomes, the researchers added the gene for reverse transcriptase (RT), an enzyme that converts RNA into DNA, to human cells and cultured the engineered cells with SARS-CoV-2. In one experiment, the researchers used an RT gene from HIV. They also provided RT using human DNA sequences known as LINE-1 elements, which are remnants of ancient retroviral infections and make up about 17% of the human genome. Cells making either form of the enzyme led to some chunks of SARS-CoV-2 RNA being converted to DNA and integrated into human chromosomes, the team reports in their preprint, posted on bioRxiv on 13 December.

If the LINE-1 sequences naturally make RT in human cells, SARS-CoV-2 integration might happen in people who have COVID-19. This could occur in people coinfected with SARS-CoV-2 and HIV, too. Either situation may explain PCR detecting lingering traces of coronavirus genetic material in people who no longer have a true infection. And it could confuse studies of COVID-19 treatments that rely on PCR tests to indirectly measure changes in the amount of infectious SARS-CoV-2 in the body.

David Baltimore, a virologist at the California Institute of Technology who won the Nobel Prize for his role in discovering RT, describes the new work as “impressive” and the findings as “unexpected” but he notes that Jaenisch and colleagues only show that fragments of SARS-CoV-2’s genome integrate. “Because it is all pieces of the coronaviral genome, it can’t lead to infectious RNA or DNA and therefore it is probably biologically a dead end,” Baltimore says. “It is also not clear if, in people, the cells that harbor the reverse transcripts stay around for a long time or they die. The work raises a lot of interesting questions.”
              Happy alien viral fetishism Friday!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Judge rules to allow restaurants to re-open in San Diego as the State / County have not shown any evidence that restaurants spread Covid. Good for this judge. Newsom is in some serious trouble as the recall effort is beginning to pick up steam. People are sick of the tyranny.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...eopen/2474772/
                A GREAT VICTORY FOR THE VIRUS, THE DENIERS, AND THE BODY BAG MANUFACTURERS!

California activates 'mass fatality' program as Covid cases and deaths climb

California activated its "mass fatality" program as coronavirus cases and deaths continue to rise, leading to the state purchasing thousands of extra body bags.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said during a news conference Tuesday that he was activating the program in response to "sobering" Covid-19 data.

"This is a deadly disease, a deadly pandemic and we're in the middle of it right now," he said. "We're near the end, but we're in the middle of the most acute peak as it relates to what we refer to as the third wave."

The mass fatality program is designed to provide an "essential resource" to local agencies as deaths rise, according to the California Office of Emergency Services.
                To handle the spike, the state ordered 5,000 body bags and 60 refrigerated units that "are currently standing by in counties and at hospitals," Newsom said. He said that although vaccines are beginning to arrive, the coronavirus crisis is far from over.

"There is light at the end of the tunnel, but we're still in the tunnel," he said. "And that means we're going through perhaps the most intense and urgent moment since the beginning of this pandemic."
                Can't think of a better time to take the family out for Mexican! The Covid Special is to die for...

Comment

A GREAT VICTORY FOR THE VIRUS, THE DENIERS, AND THE BODY BAG MANUFACTURERS!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...climb-n1251713

California activates 'mass fatality' program as Covid cases and deaths climb

Can't think of a better time to take the family out for Mexican! The Covid Special is to die for...
                  Good little sheep. Fall in line. Don't mind the cliff, just go ahead and follow the rest of the good little sheep...

They had over a month to provide evidence that dining (outdoor or indoor) in restaurants significantly increases cases, and they couldn't provide that. The government tyrants like to fall back on the "science" but when called on it they can't provide the proof.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Good little sheep. Fall in line. Don't mind the cliff, just go ahead and follow the rest of the good little sheep...

They had over a month to provide evidence that dining (outdoor or indoor) in restaurants significantly increases cases, and they couldn't provide that. The government tyrants like to fall back on the "science" but when called on it they can't provide the proof.
                    Ad ignorantiam.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...from-Ignorance

The assumption of a conclusion or fact based primarily on lack of evidence to the contrary. Usually best described by, “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
                    P.S. Viruses are real even though you can't see them. Indoor airborne transmission is as factual as gravity, death, and taxes.

P.P.S. If I had a restaurant, I'd be making so much money during the pandemic. I would offer free delivery of food and booze and absolutely rape. I would spend my days thinking up novel ideas to serve the public while making them feel safe (and be safe). I would be calling the newspaper so they could run a story on my efforts. And I would be cold-calling businesses asking for support and setting up catering deals for lunch. I sympathize with the plight of the restauranteur, but some of these people are just getting naturally selected out. The amount of meals I eat per day hasn't changed one iota during the pandemic. HOW I obtain my meals though has changed significantly. And I'm not cookin'.

Comment

• Denier: "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!"

Virus:

Comment

Ad ignorantiam.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/...from-Ignorance

P.S. Viruses are real even though you can't see them. Indoor airborne transmission is as factual as gravity, death, and taxes.

P.P.S. If I had a restaurant, I'd be making so much money during the pandemic. I would offer free delivery of food and booze and absolutely rape. I would spend my days thinking up novel ideas to serve the public while making them feel safe (and be safe). I would be calling the newspaper so they could run a story on my efforts. And I would be cold-calling businesses asking for support and setting up catering deals for lunch. I sympathize with the plight of the restauranteur, but some of these people are just getting naturally selected out. The amount of meals I eat per day hasn't changed one iota during the pandemic. HOW I obtain my meals though has changed significantly. And I'm not cookin'.
                        Just lock yourself down, and you’re safe. Don’t lock down and you die. Hopefully people who lock down can find food to eat, though because if everyone locks down............... then what happens?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Just lock yourself down, and you’re safe. Don’t lock down and you die. Hopefully people who lock down can find food to eat, though because if everyone locks down............... then what happens?
                          I'm not locked down - far from it. And I feel pretty safe. I haven't forgotten my advantage of being able to work out of a home office though. I truly have sympathy for those required to work among the public during these times.

Comment

a genius in our midst

Comment

I'm not locked down - far from it. And I feel pretty safe. I haven't forgotten my advantage of being able to work out of a home office though. I truly have sympathy for those required to work among the public during these times.
                              Are you really sad? You sound kind of gleeful when you talk about others dying because then you think you are proven right.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

a genius in our midst
                                There's tremendous opportunity for restaurants willing and able to adapt. Not a meal has been missed since the pandemic began. Only differing winners and losers.

My restaurant would voluntarily close indoor dining. And depending on my location I would massively expand outdoor seating. If I was Old Chicago Old Town I would rent tents in the common area. I would also offer free delivery (minimum order size of course). Then it would be all about generating new sources of revenue like catering. I would call every business downtown, explain my plight, and ask if they'd like to help "support a local business" while feeding their employees some great food at discounted prices. "Just want to make my payroll". Networking 24/7. Life or death attitude. That's how I approach business. Work harder and be better than your competition. Simple formula. There's no reason for anyone to fail in America. If you fail it's because you didn't try hard enough imo. It could also be that you just suck, but most of the time you can outwork talent disparity.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Are you really sad? You sound kind of gleeful when you talk about others dying because then you think you are proven right.
                                Those are voices in your head.

Oh, I know I'm right. I've been right every time I've opened my mouth about the pandemic. It wasn't magic either. Just listened to the experts, digested a ton of science, and made logical conclusions. I wish I wasn't right. But the way this whole thing went down has been as obvious to me as a blimp parked in the driveway.

Comment

Working...
                                X