Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    If Trump is to be re-elected, there are several things that need to happen.

1) Everybody wears a mask
    2) Bars are shut down. Restaurants open at 50% capacity.
    3) Everyone follows social distancing wherever possible.
    4) Raise testing by a factor of 5
    4) Take people on unemployment and turn them into contact tracers.
    5) Quarantine every positive and everybody who's been in contact with a positive.

Let's assume that masks don't work, but some people believe they do. At least it looks like there's an effort being made.

The way things are going now, schools are making contingency plans for how to open in August. If schools open with significant attendance limitations or don't open, Trump has virtually no chance in November.

I understand we're testing more, so we're finding more. We've also raised the positive percent from 1% to 4% in Sedgwick County. Some areas in the nation are finding positive testing rates in the teens.. Raising the positive rate from 1 to 4% may ndicate that we had the higher percentage all along, but didn't know it because of low testing rates. Either that or the virus is exploding in our communities now.

BTW, S. Korea may have been included in the graphic because S. Korea had their first confirmed case the same day that the USA had their first confirmed case. It was possible to do better.
    Seems like the media and others are doing a little overreaction here if they look at the statistics. Yes, there are significantly more positive tests many places overall, but the death rate is down overall. Yes, there are some places like Texas, Florida, and Arizona where hospitalizations have increased and monitoring as well as shutting bars, closing beaches, and limiting restaurants are warranted. However, the same standard shouldn't be placed nationwide. Sedgwick County doesn't warrant shutdowns and exploding isn't the word that should be used to describe our situation. The increase is still well below our hospitalization capacity. Also, the U.S. is still below Europe in many statistics and the states I just mentioned (Florida, Texas, and Arizona) are still well below what was happening in New York, and New Jersey. Also, day cares didn't have a problem with sick children in the past, as they found ways to stay open even in states. The worst thing for kids is to stay home when they are supposed to start.

People have become more nonchalant with their actions such as social distancing, and hygiene, and they need to be reminded. We just need to use our heads.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      If Biden gets elected, the health crisis will be over by noon of the following day.
      Does a bear s*** in the woods, or, more unfailing than a bear s******* in the woods, does the obama admin. tape political opponents, and then turn it into "intelligence?"

Comment

If Trump is to be re-elected, there are several things that need to happen.

1) Everybody wears a mask
        2) Bars are shut down. Restaurants open at 50% capacity.
        3) Everyone follows social distancing wherever possible.
        4) Raise testing by a factor of 5
        4) Take people on unemployment and turn them into contact tracers.
        5) Quarantine every positive and everybody who's been in contact with a positive.

Let's assume that masks don't work, but some people believe they do. At least it looks like there's an effort being made.

The way things are going now, schools are making contingency plans for how to open in August. If schools open with significant attendance limitations or don't open, Trump has virtually no chance in November.

I understand we're testing more, so we're finding more. We've also raised the positive percent from 1% to 4% in Sedgwick County. Some areas in the nation are finding positive testing rates in the teens.. Raising the positive rate from 1 to 4% may ndicate that we had the higher percentage all along, but didn't know it because of low testing rates. Either that or the virus is exploding in our communities now.

BTW, S. Korea may have been included in the graphic because S. Korea had their first confirmed case the same day that the USA had their first confirmed case. It was possible to do better.
        You need to get out of your echo chamber. I’m not trying to be confrontational but that’s what it is. We have been going on with business as usual and there is not a giant spread. In fact, my community is yet to have an in-house case. Everyone got scared and then it calmed down. We wear masks when we ourselves aren’t feeling well, but restaurants are open and unencumbered, the grocery store is still putting out self serve donuts, and everything is fine. If someone has a mask, we assume they aren’t feeling well and give them space but otherwise it’s just not much of a concern any more.

Anchorage tried to mandate masks this week but the town revolted. Edit: for the record, I have a medical condition and cannot wear a mask for prolong periods. Halitosis, but that could be my diet of caribou jerky and garlic cabbage. Still not going to risk it.

5ABEAAE8-CC2F-4C87-86F7-0BFE09513E82.jpeg
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            If Biden gets elected, the health crisis will be over by noon of the following day.
            That's why all the talk is about "cases" and not deaths or the death rate.

Cases are going up, but the death rate is going down. Pay no attention to that though.

It's almost a guarantee that if the Dems get in power, they will bend the numbers to show that they were correct in mandating wearing a mask and how smart they were for making decisions for you. Making it easier to do so again in the future.
            The Assman

Comment

• This post is political, so it may get moved.

If the spread of the virus is slowed, it will favor Republican candidates up and down the ticket in November. If the virus is still spreading in November, it will favor Democrat candidates.

If you really want the economy to recover. please support the mitigation factors that ensure the best possibility of that happening. We have plenty of examples of places where recovery has occurred.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

This post is political, so it may get moved.

If the spread of the virus is slowed, it will favor Republican candidates up and down the ticket in November. If the virus is still spreading in November, it will favor Democrat candidates.

If you really want the economy to recover. please support the mitigation factors that ensure the best possibility of that happening. We have plenty of examples of places where recovery has occurred.
                Two things:

1. Define what is slow enough or low enough for reopening.

2. We can’t have rules for leftist protestors and rules for right protestors. 10s of thousands of people in the street half masked is not better than 100 people at Wal-Mart half masked. That has to be made clear.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Two things:

1. Define what is slow enough or low enough for reopening.

2. We can’t have rules for leftist protestors and rules for right protestors. 10s of thousands of people in the street half masked is not better than 100 people at Wal-Mart half masked. That has to be made clear.
                  1. No one can say what is required for reopening with confidence. The CDC tried, but their recommendations were ignored. All we can do now is look at results of reopening and try to learn from them. Florida and Texas ignored the CDC's recommendations. That didn't work out well for them. Perhaps we could learn something.

2. Agreed. Rules and guidelines have been violated without regard to political affiliation. Florida didn't have massive leftist protests. Miami-Dade County now has CV positives in excess of 25%. Minnesota isn't among the states with high rates of increased incidence. Kansas is among the states with high rates of increased infection. Kansas had minimal leftist protests.

I think something other than leftist protests is feeding the current exponential increase of infections in the USA. The rate of increase in infections in OK actually declined after Trump's rally there. The Secret Service agents that got infected while setting up for Trump's visit probably wish that had happened before they went to Tulsa.

The CDC said that after 14 days of reduced positive tests, states should move forward with reopening. Texas and Florida were the first states to ignore that and reopen everything while they still had increasing rates of positive tests. Those are now the hot spots. When people travel from the hot spots to places that have followed guidelines and have the virus pretty much under control (New York), they will bring the virus back to those areas.

As a nation, we are no better at defeating the spread of the virus than whatever state is the worst at defeating the spread of the virus. This is one time when Kansas being in the heart of "flyover country" is an absolute blessing.
                  Last edited by Aargh; July 7, 2020, 01:27 AM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

So I post the White House release disavowing your "fatal blow" on the good doctor after you taunted me, and now having gotten totally shut down, you taunt me again? lol

Listen friends, I'm pulling my punches here. I'm trying very hard not to so suck all the air out of this thread with merciless blow after merciless blow.

There seriously should be a referee on site when debating these issues. It was TKO 5 rounds ago.

P.S. I could be 95, mouth full of applesauce, and I'd still easily neutralize both of your silly opinions before even halfway filling my Depends.

T

Still no substance to dispute the counterarguments.

Comment

You have the correct attitude. I wish more of your "religious" party brethren thought in the same selfless manner.

It's a topic that both religious and irreligious should be aligned on as it is rational, practical, and logical.

Only the truly ignorant or malicious would be against something like wearing masks and/or putting forth great effort to stop the spread of this insidious disease that has already taken the lives of many, many great people.

T

What makes it a religious thing? Not sure I follow that or if it's just an attack of the simple minded. Every single person in my congregation has worn a mask and has done everything asked of us (including no singing indoors). I have not heard a single complaint against the mask.

Comment

• More reasons to not believe the data propaganda:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-r...213209593.html

Comment

I'm in a battle to educate and hopefully save just one more life. In that sense, I'm in a battle with ignorance. Which side are you on?

T

You are not educating anymore than the guy wearing the sign that states “the end is nigh”.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

You are not educating anymore than the guy wearing the sign that states “the end is nigh”.
                            Stop being silly. I do nothing but educate. What's bothering you dear? Be specific in your complaints. If they're valid and sincere, I will provide you with a worthy response when time allows.

In the meantime, dial back the estrogen just a tad...

...or dial UP the testosterone? It's all relative.

T

Comment

I'm in a battle to educate and hopefully save just one more life. In that sense, I'm in a battle with ignorance. Which side are you on?

T

Nothing new. You just state and re-state the same things over and over again. You are a true testament to the data of the Democrat school system. Ho-Hum, same ole information.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Nothing new. You just state and re-state the same things over and over again. You are a true testament to the data of the Democrat school system. Ho-Hum, same ole information.
                                I'm anything but unoriginal. How can you make a summary statement about who I am or what I present? You yourself said you don't even read my posts. Now you're calling me a Democrat? Are you even on the level? I'm the literal opposite of a Democrat.

I think that's the problem. Several of you on here think I'm a Democrat and you're just lashing out because I don't subscribe to your Sean Hannity Groupthink Model. Sean Hannity might have an IQ below 90 btw. I can barely tolerate his gorilla-like gruntings long enough to flip the switch before careening into the ditch. It's like a ****ing commercial. Ben Shapiro on the other hand is just my kinda guy. He's substantive, original, and open-minded enough not to be labeled backwards (likely attributable to his youth).

T

Comment

Working...
                                X