Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

If u travel to a county/state that has covid-19 growth (these would be identified by that state), then u have to self quarantine for 2 weeks. If you travel out of country u have to self quarantine for 2 weeks.
    Good luck governing that.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Good luck governing that.

Nothing is enforced right now, except for churches.

With freedom comes great responsibility. That why the government will be slow to open up because they don’t trust their citizens to act responsible. It misguided, because I think most would abide, but their will be some who don’t think the rules apply to them but everybody else.

But I know three different companies that have put similar protocols in place for their employees on their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
        I'd be very interested to hear you expand upon those. Good contracts are specifically designed to be advantageous for both parties. Is it possible the private sector labs had sole provider clauses with the hospitals? On the hospital side, them agreeing to a sole provider clause allows them access to cheaper lab processing? Could we both agree that those types of clauses are advantageous for both sides but not in an exogenous situation like this?
        You think they are actually getting to the negotiation stage, and that these contracts are not DOA at the compliance checklist stage?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Calvert County, Maryland has reportedly had 99 diagnosed COVID-19 cases to date, in a population of around 99,000. While the county health department is clearly worried about overcrowding during “social distancing” times, they do admit that they see it as their job to control the impulses of their population. “Going to the grocery store has shifted from an occasional trip to get necessities to a frequent excuse for getting out of the house,” the health department said.

In response, the county has asked residents to shop only every 5 days and according to their last names.
          • Last name starting with A-C shop on dates ending with 0 and 5
          • Last name starting with D-G shop on dates ending with 1 and 6
          • Last name starting with H-L shop on dates ending with 2 and 7
          • Last name starting with M-R shop on dates ending with 3 and 8
          • Last name starting with S-Z shop on dates ending with 4 and 9

Not a big deal to me because I don't go shopping every 5 days anyway although I like to be able to go when my schedule best allows it. And no I am not holed up at home. I am holed up at work.

Maybe a bit of an over-reaction. But then again I don't live there so if that's what works best for them go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            https://www.redstate.com/kiradavis/2...e-home-limits/

Calvert County, Maryland has reportedly had 99 diagnosed COVID-19 cases to date, in a population of around 99,000. While the county health department is clearly worried about overcrowding during “social distancing” times, they do admit that they see it as their job to control the impulses of their population. “Going to the grocery store has shifted from an occasional trip to get necessities to a frequent excuse for getting out of the house,” the health department said.

In response, the county has asked residents to shop only every 5 days and according to their last names.
            • Last name starting with A-C shop on dates ending with 0 and 5
            • Last name starting with D-G shop on dates ending with 1 and 6
            • Last name starting with H-L shop on dates ending with 2 and 7
            • Last name starting with M-R shop on dates ending with 3 and 8
            • Last name starting with S-Z shop on dates ending with 4 and 9

Not a big deal to me because I don't go shopping every 5 days anyway although I like to be able to go when my schedule best allows it. And no I am not holed up at home. I am holed up at work.

Maybe a bit of an over-reaction. But then again I don't live there so if that's what works best for them go for it.
            I think it would work out better if they had residents shop by a day of the week instead of a day of the month ending in a certain number. Most people know what day of the week it is, but don't always know what day of the month it is. Instead of shopping every 5 days, they would be shopping every 7 days.

The disadvantage with the 7-day shopping would be a few more people in the stores at one time. Maybe they were trying to avoid this situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

I think it would work out better if they had residents shop by a day of the week instead of a day of the month ending in a certain number. Most people know what day of the week it is, but don't always know what day of the month it is. Instead of shopping every 5 days, they would be shopping every 7 days.

The disadvantage with the 7-day shopping would be a few more people in the stores at one time. Maybe they were trying to avoid this situation.
              Both bad ideas. Both are unnecessary restrictions of movement. How bout masks and headcount maxes.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Both bad ideas. Both are unnecessary restrictions of movement. How bout masks and headcount maxes.
                I think when I originally said that a 7-day cycle would have more people, I was going by two 5-day cycles (or a 10-day cycle) being less people. Actually the 7-day cycle would have less people shopping at one time than a 5-day cycle. But like you said, they're both probably unnecessary.

Comment

• I wonder at what point we decide that our remedy to all of this is more disastrous than ailment we're trying to eliminate. Is all of this really worth creating an economic depression? The orders what gets to stay open and what closes seems pretty arbitrary. I'm thankful we don't have Michigan's governor but I'm not convinced that our very own wouldn't do the same thing if more of our counties resembled Wyandotte and Douglas counties. This is getting really ugly constitutionally. I don't really see how all of this is holding up against the 1st Amendment when concerning peaceable assembly.

I get it. This virus is pretty bad but I'm more concerned with how fast we willingly give up our liberty and on a global scale. I'm sure China is loving all of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I wonder at what point we decide that our remedy to all of this is more disastrous than ailment we're trying to eliminate. Is all of this really worth creating an economic depression? The orders what gets to stay open and what closes seems pretty arbitrary. I'm thankful we don't have Michigan's governor but I'm not convinced that our very own wouldn't do the same thing if more of our counties resembled Wyandotte and Douglas counties. This is getting really ugly constitutionally. I don't really see how all of this is holding up against the 1st Amendment when concerning peaceable assembly.

I get it. This virus is pretty bad but I'm more concerned with how fast we willingly give up our liberty and on a global scale. I'm sure China is loving all of this.
                    States have significant police powers. It's not a federal government issue.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      I'm sure China is loving all of this.
                      I'm sure they are. I worry how much US stock they are currently purchasing?

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Really enjoy reading everyone's insight regardless of which side you're on. I have a couple of family members in healthcare and have heard many stories about the dangers of the virus and the potential impacts to the healthcare system.

I was in full support of the governor's initial stay at home orders but I'm not sure the extension was the right call. I agree with the President's message yesterday that it's time to start reopening the economy in a safe manner.
                        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Since we've already shot ourselves in the foot, we better make damn sure that doing it made a difference. I think I'm pretty open minded both ways, however, I make that statement from the luxury of a job I can do from home, and my wife continues to work as well. I have felt zero financial impact to this point from this whole ordeal. And I will also add that those people calling for a continued lockdown and such are also speaking from the same financial comfort. I think that those that are currently out of work, would be more inclined to take their chances. (poorest hardest hit as usual). But these tend to be younger people as well, who seem to be least likely to be fatal.

Seeing as how we are not overwhelming the healthcare system at this time (which is the #1 reason for the quarantine/lockdown) then we should determine that this level is on the strict side. So we need to look at where we loosen up. Go ahead and loosen up a little bit and then see what the increase in cases looks like, because there will be one. That is what we have to do. If we get close to overwhelming the healthcare system, that is where we pause loosening everything up for a said amount of time. Not going back to lockdown like now, but just freeze where we are and let things stableize. it's gotta be incremental, but it needs to start. Our healthcare system seems to be able to handle more cases at this time. And I think it should be different based on the state.

Seniors need to stay in the bunker, until we get it licked.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• If the med journal out of Santa Clara County is correct, that 50-to-85x of the reported cases have antibodies, then the state of New York already has 11,000,000-18,000,000 people with antibodies and should open up full throttle immediately. We would expect to see more deaths because of lag, but the number of new cases and deaths should flat line soon.

Comment

• In fact, if that report is correct, the CDC doctors effed this up bigly. If that med report is correct, our kids should be at school and young adults at work with only the elderly and at-risk folks staying home, so that we get to herd immunity as quickly as possible. That would REDUCE the amount of time the elderly and at-risk people would be in isolation, and reduce the number of deaths. As it is right now we are dragging this out allowing the virus to fester instead of fizzling out right about now if we had let it.

New York got pounded because so many at-risk people got it all at once. At-risk people should be at home. Non at-risk people should be business as usual getting the sniffles and snuffing this virus out.

Hindsight is very 20/20.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

States have significant police powers. It's not a federal government issue.
                                I’m a proponent of the 10th amendment as much as anybody but I believe that this becomes a federal issue when people are being deprived a peaceable assembly. That’s specifically laid out in the first amendment. I don’t see how the states and local governments could implement orders that are are in violation of something specifically laid out in the constitution.

Comment

Working...
                                X