• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newshock1234
    Originally posted by rrshock
    Originally posted by SFL
    Originally posted by rjl
    Anyone who thinks that the GOP will win because the Democrats are "feuding" is delusional.

Sure, Democrats may have some differences amongst each other, but one thing they can all unite on is getting one of their own in office vs. 4 more years of the same old BS.

The most ardent Hillary supporter will still vote Obama if he becomes the Democratic nominee, and vice versa.
    Lord help us! :cry:
    RJL hit that on the head. This country isn't going to elect another Republican after what has happened the past 7 years. Even though the candidates don't like each other, they're supporters will support whomever the democratic nominee is. That is just how it works.
    i too agree with this statement. I think for the replublican to have shot at this is have a outstanding candiate to run for them to even have a chance, and they dont have a good candidate.
    The problem is the Democratic Party is in shambles. CW says taking into consideration the Bush/Iraq disaster that this should be a slam dunk win for the dems – But they can’t seem to get their act together. The simple fact is this is a right of center nation but for reasons unbeknownst me they keep trotting out far-left libs.

They need to find a decent moderate to represent the party – candidates that aren’t affiliated with the Pastor Wrights of the world and whose wife has never been proud of this country (and Hillary is just too polarizing of a personality) – extreme issues like that don’t work with the right of center American voting block.

Sure America can do things better but the vast majority of Americans like this country and just won’t buy the rhetoric that proclaims we’re an evil/broken nation. This is not the Democratic Party of the Greatest Generation.

Comment

I really don't like any of the candidates, but I believe that even the Republican party can't get behind McCain. I look for Nader to get alot more votes than most people think he is capable of.

Comment

Nader only serves to pull dem votes away.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I don't take everything Rev Wright says as a statement for the way Obama thinks and feels, the same as I don't take everything the Pope and all the assorted clergy say and do as a statement for what a Catholic person thinks and feels, the same as I don't take whatever Farrakhan says as the way an American Muslim feels, etc.

People are individuals, capable of feeling their own things and thinking for themselves.

To pretend that Obama blindly follows Wright and all his teachings is rather simple, and, quite frankly, really insulting. I can see why he doesn't feel the need to lower himself to defend the stupid accusations.

To address the accusations centered on Wright himself, though, Obama has said "Here is what happens when you just cherry-pick statements from a guy who had a 40-year career as a pastor. There are times when people say things that are just wrong. But I think it's important to judge me on what I've said in the past and what I believe."
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
            The problem is the Democratic Party is in shambles. CW says taking into consideration the Bush/Iraq disaster that this should be a slam dunk win for the dems – But they can’t seem to get their act together. The simple fact is this is a right of center nation but for reasons unbeknownst me they keep trotting out far-left libs.

They need to find a decent moderate to represent the party – candidates that aren’t affiliated with the Pastor Wrights of the world and whose wife has never been proud of this country (and Hillary is just too polarizing of a personality) – extreme issues like that don’t work with the right of center American voting block.

Sure America can do things better but the vast majority of Americans like this country and just won’t buy the rhetoric that proclaims we’re an evil/broken nation. This is not the Democratic Party of the Greatest Generation.
            In "shambles"? You sure about that?

Have you checked the numbers of Democrats turning out for primaries vs. the number of Republicans?

Just because the race is tight in the Democratic party vs. the runaway win for McCain in the GOP doesn't mean the party is in shambles. It means that the Democrats are energized and interested.

But to say that it will in any way hinder the Democratic vote come November is like saying the Yankees will never win another World Series because they keep bickering about what shelf to put the trolphy on.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
              I'm sorry, but I don't take everything Rev Wright says as a statement for the way Obama thinks and feels, the same as I don't take everything the Pope and all the assorted clergy say and do as a statement for what a Catholic person thinks and feels, the same as I don't take whatever Farrakhan says as the way an American Muslim feels, etc.

People are individuals, capable of feeling their own things and thinking for themselves.

To pretend that Obama blindly follows Wright and all his teachings is rather simple, and, quite frankly, really insulting. I can see why he doesn't feel the need to lower himself to defend the stupid accusations.

To address the accusations centered on Wright himself, though, Obama has said "Here is what happens when you just cherry-pick statements from a guy who had a 40-year career as a pastor. There are times when people say things that are just wrong. But I think it's important to judge me on what I've said in the past and what I believe."
              The problem is that Obama hitched his wagon to Wright's horse. In my mind, that is tantamount to having at least a very similar worldview. I read the "About Us" page on that church's website before they modified it. I was quite disturbed at the church's official "unashamedly black" position (from a Christian perspective, not social/political). I found it to be divisive in ways not condoned by any accepted scriptural interpretations I've ever heard.

Obama not only chose to attend there, he picked Wright to serve on one of his advisory groups. I can accept that Obama has different ideas than his pastor, but he needs to address what those differences are and why he would then choose to follow the man and use him as an advisor. Saying "I didn't know he believed those things" (that is the gist of what Obama said, right?), when it was all in plain and public language, isn't an adequate response.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                Originally posted by rjl

The problem is that Obama hitched his wagon to Wright's horse. In my mind, that is tantamount to having at least a very similar worldview. I read the "About Us" page on that church's website before they modified it. I was quite disturbed at the church's official "unashamedly black" position (from a Christian perspective, not social/political). I found it to be divisive in ways not condoned by any accepted scriptural interpretations I've ever heard.

Obama not only chose to attend there, he picked Wright to serve on one of his advisory groups. I can accept that Obama has different ideas than his pastor, but he needs to address what those differences are and why he would then choose to follow the man and use him as an advisor. Saying "I didn't know he believed those things" (that is the gist of what Obama said, right?), when it was all in plain and public language, isn't an adequate response.
                Well, you can either insert whatever ideology you want into Barrack's mind, or you can hear what he himself actually has to say about it and trust that he's speaking the way he feels.

You should be with us in 2012, join now: http://my.barackobama.com/plainfieldvidBarack reflects on Bobby Kennedy's famous speech in Indianapolis on March 15,...

His mom was white, for goodness sakes. He was raised by her white parents during a great portion of his late childhood.

Yeah. Totally racist.

Come on. Are people really just "playing dumb" on this?

Here's the wikipedia page on Wright:

I think Obama has done enough in denouncing what Wright has said.

If a Catholic was running for president and it was found that their priest molested little boys, I'd think it was just as stupid to expect the candidate to denounce what he did. Of course the candidate doesn't support it. To think they actually need to go on the record saying that is just insulting.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                  If a Catholic was running for president and it was found that their priest molested little boys, I'd think it was just as stupid to expect the candidate to denounce what he did. Of course the candidate doesn't support it. To think they actually need to go on the record saying that is just insulting.
                  Nice try, but false analogy.

If any clergy member was allowed to minister after being found guilty of such a terrible thing, blame should be put on those who continue to support him. No one stays at a church where they disagree with whats being communicated from the pulpit.

Obama is either lying or a fool that he didn't know what was going on at his own church of 20 years.
                  "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                  -John Wooden

Comment

rjl – What do you think would happen if let’s say Collin Powell was associated with Pastor Wright? How would he be treated by the media and voters?

Comment

I don't. A 10 year old can figure out what kind of a "church" he attends simply by reading their own website. I promise you those statements were in no way isolated.

For him to say those comments are a revelation in the last few days just doesn't pass muster in any way shape or form. I happen to think he has an excellent chance to come out and provide an explanation and separate himself from the typical political operative, however until then, "listen to me denounce those comments and move on" isn't going to cut it.

I don't need to be told what I need to have explained to me. I am perfectly capable of figuring out where the smell comes from and asking the question as to whom dealt it.

I am a staunch conservative but I am fed up with the status quo. Our system is rotten to the core and we have 3 awful presidential choices.

I need to listen to Royal more often.

We need term limits now in the Senate and Congress like never before......every day disgusts me more than the previous one.

If I hear "the Bush-Chaney 100 year Iraq war plan" one more time from the Clinton spin doctors, I'm going to personally set fire to their library with, God willing, them in it.

(note to FBI....that last comment is tongue in cheek. I do not promote violence. I am simply fed up with the elitist groups on both sides of the isle that cater to a select few to the expense of the rest, have abandoned common sense in their day to day activities and whose only purpose is to get re-elected - a task less difficult than getting laid in a whore house thanks to their own rules - and maintain their power.)

rant over.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl
                        If a catholic was running for president and it was found that their priest molested little boys, I'd think it was just as stupid to expect the candidate to denounce what he did. Of course the candidate doesn't support it. To think they actually need to go on the record saying that is just insulting.

Bad analogy. If that priest molested the kid in front of the entire congregation then you might have a point and I doubt the person running would do anything except attack the living hell out of the priest.

Pastor Wright deals in division, hate and is anti-American. I do NOT believe that Obama thinks the same way he does, fwiw. At least not in the most disgusting terms that we have heard. However, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his wife does.......

But the fact is it does not make sense to the average intelligent person right now and we need a better explanation if we are expected to take the man at his word. You don't get a free pass when we have to decide the man who gets to decide when the button is pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                          I do NOT believe that Obama thinks the same way he does, fwiw. At least not in the most disgusting terms that we have heard. However, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that his wife does.......
                          I don't think Obama is down with all his craziness, but he benefited from his association as a politician that needed black credentials in Chicago.

Talk about chickens coming home to roost.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

I also don't think Obama believes all of those things. If he did, there would be something in his public record.

My desire for a better explanation is entirely from my Christian perspective. I want to know why, if he so vehemently disagrees with what are obviously fundamental beliefs of his pastor, why choose that pastor as a spiritual advisor?

I think it may say something about his motives, integrity or decision-making abilities.

Did he pick Wright because of the size of his church (influence) and thus was a good move in his senatorial campaign?

Or does he trust Wright in the areas of spirituality most important to him?

Sorry for the overuse of this cliche, but this would be a non-issue in my mind if it were Wright hitching his wagon to Obama, rather than the other way around. But my gut feeling is that Obama is now trying to tip-toe around the issue, not wanting to say anything that would be politically or financially (campaign contributions) harming.

Comment

Anyone who truly wants to make an informed comment about this situation about Obama's pastor should first read Mr. Obama's response to the situation, titled "On My Faith and My Church", which Obama posted at the Huffington Post website on Friday. Here is the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack...h_b_91623.html

It's only 8 paragraphs, so it will only take a few minutes to read. Please read this response. I would post the contents here, but I think there is a rule against that on SN. However, because I suspect some people won't click the link, I'm going to post some important quotes by Obama from the article here. Quotes from Obama on Pastor Jeremiah Wright's comments:

"Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue."

"these particular statements by Rev. Wright are so contrary to my own life and beliefs"

"the sermons I heard him preach always related to our obligation to love God and one another, to work on behalf of the poor, and to seek justice at every turn"

"The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation."

"All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country."

"Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me"

Bottom line, Obama said he never heard Wright say these things while he was in church or in private conversations. When he did hear about these comments, he denounced them. I believe him. The important thing is that Obama himself has never said anything like this, and he doesn't believe these things. I think this is a smear campaign to make Obama look unelectable because Obama doesn't take money from PACs and lobbyists and the establishment knows they won't be able to control him.

Comment

I'm with Doc on this one. I'm going to need a little better explanation than I denounce what he said. I'm just not buying that someone could be a member of this church for 20 years and have this guy as your spiritual advisor and claim you were not ware of these statements. How in the hell could you not know?

Comment

Working...
                                X