No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico got bailed out tonight by some classic CONCACAF officiating, both in added time and in PKs. The Honduras keeper could have stood there and if he stopped the shot, they’d call it back. Shambolic officiating, but that’s our region for you.

Canada did not and they fall to Jamaica. Golden generation is slowly looking like they’ll lose the window, and the Canadian soccer federation is in terrible financial shape to boot.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Brazil 0 Argentina 1 last night was not awful (although watching it on SD Telemundo was).

Any idea what Dest was thinking about when he got red carded at T&T? That stunt has to rank pretty high in the dumbest things a sports star has done for basically no reason....even in soccer.

Have to think that's going to cost him a roster spot going forward......or is he too good?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        Mexico got bailed out tonight by some classic CONCACAF officiating, both in added time and in PKs. The Honduras keeper could have stood there and if he stopped the shot, they’d call it back. Shambolic officiating, but that’s our region for you.

Canada did not and they fall to Jamaica. Golden generation is slowly looking like they’ll lose the window, and the Canadian soccer federation is in terrible financial shape to boot.
        Am I reading that correctly.....11 yellows and 2 reds?

They went to extra time (and eventually to penalties) to decide the tie after Mexico leveled the aggregate in the ELEVENTH MINUTE of added time? How many did they start with? That seems beyond Azteca magic.

Does Canada advance on away goals?

The semis were remarkably close to Panama (who is there after destroying Costa Rica twice) Honduras, Jamaica (who is in the semis) and T&T who technically had the best of the USA minus the last 15 minutes of game 1.

EDIT: Just realized that Canada lost at home 2-3 so Jamaica in fact advances...wow.
        Last edited by WuDrWu; November 22, 2023, 07:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Brazil 0 Argentina 1 last night was not awful (although watching it on SD Telemundo was).

Any idea what Dest was thinking about when he got red carded at T&T? That stunt has to rank pretty high in the dumbest things a sports star has done for basically no reason....even in soccer.

Have to think that's going to cost him a roster spot going forward......or is he too good?
          Total lack of discipline, that's for sure. Red carded over a terrible O.O.B. call? Maybe he'll learn from it.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Found some highlights. NINE minutes added seems excessive...then almost 2 minutes after added time expired Mexico equalizes. Insane.

Comment

Brazil 0 Argentina 1 last night was not awful (although watching it on SD Telemundo was).

It probably would except we don’t have a right back that’s near his quality at this point. Even for his defensive liabilities, he’s easily the best we have. The other alternative would be to play Weah at RB and Reyna for him at RW, which I am definitely not opposed to.

But yeah that was a meltdown of epic proportions. Maybe he just wanted to get out of there and not get hurt?

Comment

Found some highlights. NINE minutes added seems excessive...then almost 2 minutes after added time expired Mexico equalizes. Insane.
                Did you see PKs? Honduras keeper saved a penalty, ref says he was off his line, then saves the same player’s PK again, and same thing. He scored on the third try, and I saw shades of the USSR-USA 1972 Gold Medal game.

Comment

Found some highlights. NINE minutes added seems excessive...then almost 2 minutes after added time expired Mexico equalizes. Insane.
                  I watched nearly the entire second half. I wanted Honduras to hold on and eliminate Mexico. Based on the time wasting antics I was actually guessing ten minutes, so nine was reasonable. Time wasting continued in extra time and by about the 6th minutes I figured it would get extended by at least a couple minutes. I'm a big believer that the only way to get rid of the time wasting is to add on lots of time, so I'm okay with it.

I also thought the right call was made on the penalty kicks. He was well off the line the first one, and while the second was closer, it was still the right call. This, along with the time wasting, have been points of emphasis the last couple years.

Comment

Did you see PKs? Honduras keeper saved a penalty, ref says he was off his line, then saves the same player’s PK again, and same thing. He scored on the third try, and I saw shades of the USSR-USA 1972 Gold Medal game.
                    Whaaat? I gotta see this.

Comment

Stutter stepping idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by dregn View Post
                        I also thought the right call was made on the penalty kicks. He was well off the line the first one, and while the second was closer, it was still the right call. This, along with the time wasting, have been points of emphasis the last couple years.
                        Stutter stepping is also a form of time wasting.

Comment

• The death of Franz Beckenbauer had me out looking for New York Cosmos video, when I stumbled upon this recap from 1977.

I am pasting the video at a specific point. Pasting at a specific time doesn't work too well, so to be clear it's at the 7:47 mark when the Cosmos are playing against a red team.

One point if you can name the team that is shooting on Shep Messing (Cosmos goalkeeper).

Three points if you can name the player that blasts Messing point blank with the follow up shot (but Messing still gets the save).

Comment

• Oops, disregard earlier post. It's not the game I thought it was.

Here is the COMPLETE GAME of the Godfather of Wichita soccer, Kevin Kewley (#10), with Roy Turner (#6), George Ley (#3), Jimmy Ryan (#7), Freddie Garcia, Glenn Myernick and Steve Pecher (Dallas Tornado) playing against Pele with Georgio Chinaglia, Shep Messing, and Steve Hunt (New York Cosmos) in 1977:

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Oops, disregard earlier post. It's not the game I thought it was.

Here is the COMPLETE GAME of the Godfather of Wichita soccer, Kevin Kewley (#10), with Roy Turner (#6), George Ley (#3), Jimmy Ryan (#7), Freddie Garcia, Glenn Myernick and Steve Pecher (Dallas Tornado) playing against Pele with Georgio Chinaglia, Shep Messing, and Steve Hunt (New York Cosmos) in 1977:

Incredible find and watch, WOW
                              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• $30 Million Kansas Tax Dollars to help KC host the World Cup? This is just flat out crazy. I like the Chiefs a lot, and I like the Royals a little, but other than an occasional game, I don't support Kansas City, and have even less support of Soccer. Let Lawrence and Johnson County help them out, and you Soccer fans can "chip" in if you like out of your pockets. But KC took their AA Minor League team out of Wichita, and Sedgwick County, and they don't support anything Sedgwick County (except the KU Medical Center that they don't really like to share). The state of Kansas shouldn't be giving anything close to $30 Million dollars to Missouri and Johnson County.

World Cup group, Gov. Kelly want Kansas to provide millions. Lawmakers are skeptical

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics...284140783.html

Comment

Working...
                                X