Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    US wins in penalty kicks against Canada. Phew. US clearly the better side but played with fire. Play Panama on Wednesday.
    Lots of mistakes and not really a well played match, but very entertaining.

I'm not the evaluator that you and others are when it comes to futball, but I like the Cowell kid and there does seem to be some young talent with room for growth on this B/C team we're putting out there.

The youngsters will certainly have their hands full with Panama on Wednesday (as will Mexico with the Reggae boys).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Lots of mistakes and not really a well played match, but very entertaining.

I'm not the evaluator that you and others are when it comes to futball, but I like the Cowell kid and there does seem to be some young talent with room for growth on this B/C team we're putting out there.

The youngsters will certainly have their hands full with Panama on Wednesday (as will Mexico with the Reggae boys).
      I appreciate the kind words, haha. Cowell is so fun to watch. His quality in the final third leaves something to be desired, but he's only 19. Plenty of room to grow and as a super sub for the A team, could be a quality contributor. I saw tweets that said if he played American football, he would be one of the best linebackers in college football. I don't disagree.

DeJuan Jones has some potential. That weak-footed cross to Vasquez was a thing to behold, and reminiscent of De Vrij to RVP in the World Cup in 2014 (although not as far).

Zendejas could have played for the USMNT about eight years ago. No way he can crack the A team now. This team is so much deeper.

Still think the US were the better team by far. I don't think Canada got a goal on frame for the first 90 until the penalty (correct by the letter of the law but had little to no impact on the play).
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I'm fairly certain this 2023 Gold Cup team beats our 2015 Gold Cup team.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Paging Kung Wu
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Paging Kung Wu

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Just because…

Soccer might be growing on me…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• My bullshit detector is pegged. Not because of the $ amount, but because CNN is the source.

Comment

• My bank denied my 4th mortgage application saying that spending it all on watching Messi play was too risky for them. WTH!?!?!

Comment

• Messi has two goals and an assist in a 4-0 route with 25 minutes left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Messi has two goals and an assist in a 4-0 route with 25 minutes left.
                          If he gets a hat trick does everyone in attendance get a free rotisserie chicken at Publix?

Comment

• I know it's the kids vs the old guys, but still, ManU 0 Wrexham 2 is enjoyable.

That guy for Wrexham with the throw in is a serious weapon. I wonder how many assists he's had the last couple of years for the Reds.

1-2 but still.

Comment

• Yeah it's an extra corner kick everytime he zings it in.

Comment

• I'm guessing few, if any, were up last night to watch the USWNT complete group play.

I thought something was amiss when they played Vietnam and were only able to manage 3 goals.

Clearly the match vs the Netherlands showed the US team was going to be in deep when they got to the knockout stage based on the 1-1 tie. BTW, even after taking their collective feet off the gas vs Vietnam last night after the premier tiempo, the Dutch won 7-0 to win the group.

Last night's match vs Portugal, a team they've outscored 39-0 in 9 previous meetings but ended in a 0-0 tie only because the woodwork saved the USA's bacon in extra time, showed that their dominance is over.

I thought they were about the 5th best team in the tournament after the first round of games. They are lucky to make the 16, and are probably no better than 12th at this point. It will take a minor miracle to defeat likely opponent Sweden in the round of 16.

But you watch most of the other sides, like last night with China, Portugal, England etc and the pride those teams have in their teams and their country, the unity the players have....all things largely absent from the USA team (not every player by any means, but many players) and you can see the disconnect.

It's basically impossible to get me not to root for any national team. If the USA Tiddlywinks team is playing, I'm all in. But the USWNT is difficult to support for me. Many of them just don't seem like it's a privilege to wear the colors. And that's sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X