No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the best futbol club in the entire world and the best basketball school in the entire world have in common?

The White Stripes!

Oooooh OH OH Oh ooooooh oooh!

Oh yeah, and they kick a lot of ass and win a lot of games too!
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Weird, I don’t see Manchester United anywhere...
      The Assman

Comment

• hahaha

Comment

• I don't know if anyone else is trying to cheat death and is stuck at home unable to do the most menial of tasks, but I watched Wigan host Man City in the FA Cup yesterday afternoon.

City has been nearly unbeatable this season across all leagues while Wigan, who beat City in a memorable 2013 FA Cup final upset, has fallen on hard times. Since being relegated out of the Premier League following the 2012-2013 season, Wigan has bounced between the Championship and League 1 where they currently reside.

The matched featured many chances for City to score early but they were not focused enough to finish the task. Wigan was desperate to reach half time when a clearance brought an unneeded challenge from Fabien Delph in the midfield area and the English National was sent off (after initially being shown a yellow card) and City had to carry on a man down.

Into the second half it seemed the home side was to be satisfied with a draw in front of their faithful. Resigned to the fact a rematch would send them out of the Cup, at least it would be on the road.

Then in the 79th minute, City played a lazy pass backwards and Northern Ireland's Will Grigg pounced and following a lovely first touch, stroked a low curling shot into the side of the visitor's net sending the Wigan faithful into a frenzy.

Wigan braced for the expected City rush and after Kevin De Bruyne entered the fray it was all City for the final 10 minutes and almost 5 added. City had many opportunities to equalize but could not find the right combination and found themselves out of the FA Cup. Wigan Athletic moves on to face Southampton in the quarterfinals.

It was only Man City's 3rd loss all season across all competitions and it ends their bid for the quadruple trophy (Premier, FA, Champions League and the Carabao (EFL, League or if you're old like me, Milk) Cup .

The FA Cup quarterfinals will feature

Leicester hosting Chelsea, United hosting Brighton and Hove Albion, Wigan hosting Southamption and the replay victors of Tottenham/Rochdale and Swansea/Sheffield Wednesday.
          Last edited by WuDrWu; February 20, 2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• I would watch but I have some ear wax that I need to attend to first.:good:

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            I waited as long as I could for JJ Clamdip to provide a recap but when he passed, I felt obligated.

• I'm sure to some this is going to sound like just another redneck standing up for "merica, but is this article for real?

Support for the U.S.-led bid to host the 2026 World Cup is divided, with some estimates of voting totals having Morocco ahead in the two-bid race.

The World Cup has been voted on for freaking QATAR in 2022. And they're seriously concerned about whether or not the USA is "considered a friendly place for foreigners"???

Seriously??

And we're touting our partnership with MEXICO as a plus? MEXICO where gangs kidnap people within site of the border? We've officially crossed over into Bizarro world.

I love the World Cup, and I'll watch, but at this point, Qatar it up. Let's have 2026 in, hmm, Syria!! 2030, Antarctica and let's say back to the Middle East for good old Afghanistan, that bastion of the foreigner fuzzies, in 2034.

Comment

• Kel Varnsen
            Kel Varnsen commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds familiar to the people who decry how racist America supposedly is, but then you see crowds in Europe, Mexico, and South America face sanctions for racist chants led by an entire crowd. Spare me the sanctimonious BS from these cowards.

• It's so corrupt it's ridiculous. Qatar is so much of a joke there is actually a wikipedia page dedicated to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._controversies

Comment

• World Cup starts tomorrow, with the Human Rights Violations Bowl kicking things off (Russia vs. Saudi Arabia). I'm still excited, even though the US is not playing. Excited to see if Iceland can make some noise, and I'd also love to see Mo Salah/Egypt, Australia, and some other miscellaneous African country make some noise. So bizarre that not only is the US not playing, but the Netherlands and Italy have also failed to qualify.

I am glad the US joint bid with Mexico and Canada won the rights today to host the 2026 World Cup. The dissolution of the Executive committee, which gave way to giving votes to each member country, certainly played a role. This meant that the countries voting were often not just the ones big enough to have a stake in getting contracts awarded to build stadiums in Morocco that will never be used after the World Cup. Anyways, good news for soccer in the United States today.

If you've got a few hours to kill, I certainly recommend Roger Bennett's "American Fiasco" podcast series, which details the nightmare of the 1998 World Cup for the USA (in France):

The true story of how not to win the World Cup. With Roger Bennett of the Men in Blazers podcast. 
            Last edited by Kel Varnsen; June 13, 2018, 10:59 AM.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              World Cup starts tomorrow, with the Human Rights Violations Bowl kicking things off (Russia vs. Saudi Arabia). I'm still excited, even though the US is not playing. Excited to see if Iceland can make some noise, and I'd also love to see Mo Salah/Egypt, Australia, and some other miscellaneous African country make some noise. So bizarre that not only is the US not playing, but the Netherlands and Italy have also failed to qualify.

I am glad the US joint bid with Mexico and Canada won the rights today to host the 2026 World Cup. The dissolution of the Executive committee, which gave way to giving votes to each member country, certainly played a role. This meant that the countries voting were often not just the ones big enough to have a stake in getting contracts awarded to build stadiums in Morocco that will never be used after the World Cup. Anyways, good news for soccer in the United States today.

If you've got a few hours to kill, I certainly recommend Roger Bennett's "American Fiasco" podcast series, which details the nightmare of the 1998 World Cup for the USA:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/shows/american-fiasco
              Oh gosh, here we go.

Last cup I watched significant minutes of every single match, and began posting match predictions. I don't know if I have the stamina this go around but I will give it a shot.

Comment

• The US hosted in '98?

I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't know Italy failed to qualify.....how is that possible? Isn't their group like Cyprus, The Maldives and Greenland?
                Last edited by WuDrWu; June 13, 2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• My I troll you folks a bit for spectating a sport designed by savages, for savages? Soccer is a 3rd world extravaganza!!1

Soccer popularity is an excellent inverse barometer of a host country's economic output.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If that ball were any larger and brown I would answer with "Who is UNI?"

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh and this is where I point out that your Mom's popularity is also an excellent inverse barometer of a host country's economic output.

• C0|dB|00ded
                    C0|dB|00ded commented
                    Editing a comment

T

...:cool:

• There is no World Cup this year

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    The US hosted in '98?

I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't know Italy failed to qualify.....how is that possible? Isn't their group like Cyprus, The Maldives and Greenland?
                    Lost to Sweden in a playoff match. Think Italy originally got second in their group to Spain. Check out Liechtenstein's results from that group (!!!). Only one goal and a -38 GD! That's an impressive feat.

liechtenstein.JPG
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Just finished watching the USMNT gain a sliver of redemption vs T&T in the Gold Cup. Thinking about getting a ticket in KC for the match against Panama. Very much a changing of the guard time for the National team, but these young guys have some talent and are fun to watch.

Comment

• There is some good young talent in the United States. The growth of Major League Soccer and their academies helps a great deal. I highly recommend purchasing those tickets and supporting our young team.
                        The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

Working...
                        X