Favorite Place for Ribs in Wichita?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    Now this is a Wichita food topic that draws my interest! I love ribs! I have been smoking my own ribs for twenty years. I've gotten pretty damn good at it, too. I love to hear about other cities ribs. If there is a God,the first Famous Dave's post here should get a lifetime ban. I'm dying to hear about molasses, brown sugar, paprika, chili powder. Give me the flavor profiles, boys! Though this is a rib topic, if someone brings up brisket,I don't mind.

I'm dying to hear some good Wichita rib talk! I'll sit back and listen.
    You'll be happy to know that we ran Famous Dave's out of town.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
      Yep, your spot on. Tried "When Pigs Fly" out west and it was awesome! PS Two Brothers needs to close.
      Who keeps 2 Brothers in business?

It can't be about proximity, because there's better BBQ within blocks of their locations.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

It can't be about proximity, because there's better BBQ within blocks of their locations.
        I have never been able to figure this out either, although I'm not that good of a bbq person. I pretty much like it all, but Two Brothers is one of those rare places that I really didn't like. I've always tried to bring myself to go try them out again just to make sure my other experiences from years ago were flukes or something, but I just can't do it. I figure SOMEONE must like it, so maybe I'm just wrong. Well, according to you all, I don't need to do that.

Comment

I drive by their Greenwich location quite often between 5 and 6 pm during the school year, and very rarely see more than a single vehicle there.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Since ribs were brought up, has anyone here ever eaten at a Rib Crib? One is opening in Hutch this summer and I'm curious if it's any good.
            I've only been to the one in Derby, and only once probably 10 years ago, but the experience was lackluster. If I was in Hutch and my options were Rib Crib and Hog Wild, I'm not sure why I would choose RC over HW, and I'm no huge fan of HW.

I just looked the Derby RC up on Yelp, and while the reviews are all over the place, I see mention of Tuesdays being all-you-can-eat ribs. That might be worth a second trip gamble for me.

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
            If there is a God,the first Famous Dave's post here should get a lifetime ban.
            Wichita used to have several Famous Dave's. They've all been euthanized by the free market of BBQ competition. The full service aspect of FD's was nice and unique in our market, but it was inconsistent and the service sucked. I wish the full service BBQ restaurant void in Wichita would be filled by a Jack Stack location, but I'm probably grasping at straws.

As an aside, what is it with BBQ in Omaha? I can't make sense of the overall BBQ suckage in that town, considering it's meatpacking heritage. Weird.

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

That's a great question; they really are pretty terrible. The closest 2 Brothers to me also has a Hog Wild about 1/4 mile away. I don't find Hog Wild to be anything amazing, but if I am getting some BBQ "fast food" I'm choosing HW over 2B's without question.

Comment

There's also a Dickey's BBQ Pit that opened up in Newton a few months ago. I know it is a franchise chain, and it is 20 miles up I-35, but the place is getting some fairly decent reviews.

No one has mentioned Delano BBQ as of yet either. I'm a fan of that joint, but last I knew it was basically a lunch-only spot, with regards to hours of operation. Also a place that does beef ribs instead of pork ribs.

Comment

I heard the 2 Brothers on North Woodlawn has closed. I'm guessing the buffet at the west central location keeps it open, 2 kids eat free nights as well. Some people choose quantity over quality. I tend to wait for my bbq until I'm in OKC or KC.

Comment

PIPO and When Pigs Fly are the two best, IMO. (The man who opened WPF use to work at PIPO, so he had some good training)
                  The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                    B and C is at 3rd and Washington.

Don't worry mvj, famous Dave's closed shop here. It wasn't worth it.

Pig in pig out is very good. I haven't been for a long time.

Has anyone tried the billy Simms BBQ in Andover? At least that is what I think it is called.
                    I went for All you can eat Ribs and not sure I'll be going back. It's ok but definitely better options in town

============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                    www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

When Pig's Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                        There's also a Dickey's BBQ Pit that opened up in Newton a few months ago. I know it is a franchise chain, and it is 20 miles up I-35, but the place is getting some fairly decent reviews.

No one has mentioned Delano BBQ as of yet either. I'm a fan of that joint, but last I knew it was basically a lunch-only spot, with regards to hours of operation. Also a place that does beef ribs instead of pork ribs.
                        They actually have a Dickeys that opened up on the northwest side at 29th and Maize. It's not bad but is a little bit higher up on the prices for a chainy joint.

Delano BBQ is really good. They changed owners a few months ago and I haven't been there since then, but I assume it's still the same stuff. I know they're closed Sundays. And I believe you're right. Lunch only during the week with possibly being open Friday and Saturday evenings.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          They actually have a Dickeys that opened up on the northwest side at 29th and Maize. It's not bad but is a little bit higher up on the prices for a chainy joint.
                          The trick is to get the souvenir yellow 32oz cup. After you eat, fill it up...all 32oz with the free ice cream in the back. :) Take it home and make 5 people a sundae. Now, it's not quite as pricey anymore.

I haven't done it, but I'm not above it either.

Comment

When Pigs Fly hands down has the best brisket of any joint out there. Their ribs are great too, but ... that ...brisket ...
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Delano BBQ is really good. They changed owners a few months ago and I haven't been there since then, but I assume it's still the same stuff. I know they're closed Sundays. And I believe you're right. Lunch only during the week with possibly being open Friday and Saturday evenings.
                              I have been to Dickeys in Newton, it seemed overpriced, small portions and the food was not that great.

I have been to Delano thee times the first two were outstanding the third time was just recently and it was hardly worth it.

Pit in Pig Out seems to have the best quality and flavor.
                              An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                                B and C is at 3rd and Washington.

Don't worry mvj, famous Dave's closed shop here. It wasn't worth it.

Pig in pig out is very good. I haven't been for a long time.

Has anyone tried the billy Simms BBQ in Andover? At least that is what I think it is called.
                                Ate at Billy Sims in Edmond, Oklahoma. Didn't have ribs though. BBQ Sandwich with BBQ balogna in it, which I hear is popular in Memphis. Was decent.
                                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X