No announcement yet.

Favorite Place for Ribs in Wichita?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got outvoted and we ended up at Oklahoma Joes in Olathe instead of Guy and mae's this time.
    I did Bike Across Kansas and always loved to eat at the local spots... Found many I've taken the family back to, in the car though.
    The 8 wonders of Kansas guide book comes in handy when traveling as well. We used to love the Hickory Tree bbq buffet in Smolan before it closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
      Got outvoted and we ended up at Oklahoma Joes in Olathe instead of Guy and mae's this time.
      I did Bike Across Kansas and always loved to eat at the local spots... Found many I've taken the family back to, in the car though.
      The 8 wonders of Kansas guide book comes in handy when traveling as well. We used to love the Hickory Tree bbq buffet in Smolan before it closed.
      I have been to 5.5 of the 8 Wonders of Kansas. Been to Quivira NWR but not to Cheyenne Bottoms so I count that as a half. And I have been to 9 of the 16 other locations that were finalists. So still have some stops to make when I can work them in. The Arikaree Breaks are as far away as you can get from Wichita and still be in Kansas although when you hit the Breaks you won't think you are in Kansas. That is definitely one that is off the beaten path. Been to the Chase County Courthouse a couple of times but not when it was open so I haven't been inside.

On the cuisine side I haven't been to very many of those Kansas Wonders.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 6, 2015, 05:02 PM.

Comment

pig in pig out

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I have been to 5.5 of the 8 Wonders of Kansas. Been to Quivira NWR but not to Cheyenne Bottoms so I count that as a half. And I have been to 9 of the 16 other locations that were finalists. So still have some stops to make when I can work them in. The Arikaree Breaks are as far away as you can get from Wichita and still be in Kansas although when you hit the Breaks you won't think you are in Kansas. That is definitely one that is off the beaten path. Been to the Chase County Courthouse a couple of times but not when it was open so I haven't been inside.

On the cuisine side I haven't been to very many of those Kansas Wonders.
          Been to a lot of the cuisine side... A lot. We keep the book handy and will deviate a bit to hit one if we are out and about.

Comment

Had Redrock St. Louis style ribs on Friday. Nothing special, reasonably meaty, Curly's BBQ sauce. Just above average I would say. Will go back to their famous chicken next time.

Comment

No Mercy BBQ in Augusta has a reputation. I found their pulled pork bland, their brisket lacked smoke, and their hot links were johnsonville, but it was voted best BBQ in Butler Co by some group of people. Might be worth a look.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I saw Dickeys in newton mentioned and I'm not impressed at all. It is pricey and I wasn't impressed with the sides. I didn't try ribs, but the brisket left a lot to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                  I saw Dickeys in newton mentioned and I'm not impressed at all. It is pricey and I wasn't impressed with the sides. I didn't try ribs, but the brisket left a lot to be desired.
                  Once was enough for me.
                  An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                    Once was enough for me.
                    I drive by it all the time and just cant make myself go again

Comment

I drive by it all the time and just cant make myself go again
                      Never thought my college dating life had anything in common with bad BBQ until now.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Never thought my college dating life had anything in common with bad BBQ until now.
                        500 bonus points for Outstanding post of the week!
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                          We used to love the Hickory Tree bbq buffet in Smolan before it closed.
                          WHAT!?! This was news to me. Although my wife and I only went once (hard to find occasion to go to a BBQ joint that's 60 miles away and not really on the way to anything itself) we really enjoyed the experience. I'm truly sad to hear that it closed. Such a neat experience to get solid BBQ grub, in an old schoolhouse, in a tiny town, in the middle of nowhere. It was a cool place.

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                          Had Redrock St. Louis style ribs on Friday. Nothing special, reasonably meaty, Curly's BBQ sauce. Just above average I would say. Will go back to their famous chicken next time.
                          Apologies the Redrock recommendation didn't hold up for you. Their ribs have been good in the past, but if I'm being honest Redrock as a whole has taken half-a-step back since their long-time manager left to start Deano's a year or two ago. It is still a solid restaurant choice in town, but not what it once was.

That was me that mentioned it originally in this thread. I just said I had heard about it, but not personally been. Their Yelp reviews are really pretty decent, but they could be ballot stuffing.

Comment

Working...
                          X