Favorite Place for Ribs in Wichita?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    As an aside, what is it with BBQ in Omaha? I can't make sense of the overall BBQ suckage in that town, considering it's meatpacking heritage. Weird.
    Actually, there are a few really good joints, but they are off the beaten path and even long time residents can be clueless. Uncle Earnie's bait and barbecue, on the way to Plattsmouth is excellent. Swine Dining in Old Town Bellevue is awesome. An insurance guy in Gretna, Dan Washburn, is an American Royal judge, champion and makes a mean barbecue. There are three or four great barbecue places in North Omaha, but you have to have the nutsack to go up there. But that's about it.

Keep in mind, gut busten', mind numben', barbecue as a religion-good barbecue, is done in the Southeast US. Kansas City, as famous as Kansas City is for barbecue, is about as North as it gets. I grew up in Chicago, there was good barbecue, but not any better than Omaha. That said, there is the Omaha Barbecue Society, these guys can smoke with anyone in the country. In the end, if for nothing more than location alone, Wichita should kick Omaha's ass in barbecue, I want to hear your secrets.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      OK. Not Wichita, but I'll mention anyway. It's been a number of years since I've been there, but there's this tavern in Williamsburg, just off I-35 southeast of Ottawa. Great ribs!!

If you're going by that way and have the time to stop, definitely worth it.
      Guy and Mae's is worth planning your trip up I-35 to be at Williamsburg at mealtime. Don't bother with the brisket and the sides are ho-hum at best, but the ribs are as good as you'll get just about anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        Actually, there are a few really good joints, but they are off the beaten path and even long time residents can be clueless. Uncle Earnie's bait and barbecue, on the way to Plattsmouth is excellent. Swine Dining in Old Town Bellevue is awesome. An insurance guy in Gretna, Dan Washburn, is an American Royal judge, champion and makes a mean barbecue. There are three or four great barbecue places in North Omaha, but you have to have the nutsack to go up there. But that's about it.

Keep in mind, gut busten', mind numben', barbecue as a religion-good barbecue, is done in the Southeast US. Kansas City, as famous as Kansas City is for barbecue, is about as North as it gets. I grew up in Chicago, there was good barbecue, but not any better than Omaha. That said, there is the Omaha Barbecue Society, these guys can smoke with anyone in the country. In the end, if for nothing more than location alone, Wichita should kick Omaha's ass in barbecue, I want to hear your secrets.
        One key is the proper meat, every talks about pork or beef while I prefer beaver ribs.

I soak my ribs in Bud Light for three days then crush BBQ ranch Doritos as a rub.

I generally only cook the one two two hours, I prefer them raw and chewy.
        An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

I went all the way to Chicago for a take out order from Adam's Ribs, but forgot to order the cole slaw.

(See who all gets that reference).

Best BBQ ribs in Tulsa...Burnco - hands down. Get there early.

Comment

I would like to get involved in this discussion, but since the demise of R & S, the best BBQ and especially ribs that have ever existed anywhere on the planet, I can hardly stand to consume the sludge that remains behind.

Hellllp'ya?

That guy worked in smoke like other artists work in oils or clay. The only place close was the little shack that opened off the NW corner of Oliver and 13th in that parking lot before moving across the street into the old Sandy's building. I can't remember the name but they were excellent.

Now, I do....Miller's. I always laughed when you'd go through the drive through..."Welcome to Miller's, we're serving all our meats today except ribs, chicken, brisket, ham and " whatever else they were out of at the time.

Their ribs were really good, of course there was always the (hopefully) urban legend that "Miller" seasoned his process with his own special Hollywood Knights kind of a whang.

Good though! Mind if I have some more?

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
              I went all the way to Chicago for a take out order from Adam's Ribs, but forgot to order the cole slaw.

It was a one night stand....no, it was a 2. No a 3!

Big John.

Forgive us, we're draftees.

Comment

Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

I went there once with an old army buddy, Captain Tuttle.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  I would like to get involved in this discussion, but since the demise of R & S, the best BBQ and especially ribs that have ever existed anywhere on the planet, I can hardly stand to consume the sludge that remains behind.

Hellllp'ya?

That guy worked in smoke like other artists work in oils or clay. The only place close was the little shack that opened off the NW corner of Oliver and 13th in that parking lot before moving across the street into the old Sandy's building. I can't remember the name but they were excellent.

Now, I do....Miller's. I always laughed when you'd go through the drive through..."Welcome to Miller's, we're serving all our meats today except ribs, chicken, brisket, ham and " whatever else they were out of at the time.

Their ribs were really good, of course there was always the (hopefully) urban legend that "Miller" seasoned his process with his own special Hollywood Knights kind of a whang.

Place that was a couple of blocks west of Miller's on the south side of 13th? Name escapes me. I preferred it over Millers.

Comment

I went there once with an old army buddy, Captain Tuttle.

The Smoke Pit was a must on our yearly CWS trips. Tasted best at 2 am. Too bad its gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
                      The Smoke Pit was a must on our yearly CWS trips. Tasted best at 2 am. Too bad its gone.
                      Did you go for the ribs or the strippers? The Smoke Pit was legendary.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Miller's had good beans too. So much so that when the restaurant went down somebody bought the rights to the name and the beans recipe. You can still buy them in grocery stores (not sure how wide of a geographic range outside of Wichita), but they're not cheap, and obviously they are not really Miller's. They are however still pretty darn tasty when beans are required on a moments notice for a cookout or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          Miller's had good beans too. So much so that when the restaurant went down somebody bought the rights to the name and the beans recipe. You can still buy them in grocery stores (not sure how wide of a geographic range outside of Wichita), but they're not cheap, and obviously they are not really Miller's. They are however still pretty darn tasty when beans are required on a moments notice for a cookout or whatever.
                          I think that Melody Miller still owns the beans business. She sold or closed the remainder of the business when her husband passed and kept the beans. They sell in multiple states.

Comment

I'm assuming this hasn't been posted?

"A total of 7,772 people voted in the poll."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Here's my setup. I have an Oklahoma Joes smoker, as well as a little old Brinkman charcoal smoker. I also have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I mostly use the Oklahoma Joes smoker. I use the Brinkman mainly when I'm smoking a butt for pulled pork. I know a lot of people don't believe an electric smoker is authentic, but I love it if I can't babysit the smoker or I'm smoking a lot of meat (12-16 racks). My neighbor, who moved up here from KC, has a 55 gallon drum smoker. He's taught me a lot!

One thing he showed me was rather than using mustard or honey as glue for the rub, use a light coat of molasses. Not too much, just enough to make the rub stick. With molasses, you have to be careful because it will burn easily. Smoke at 210°, really low. Something for you all to try.

Lastly, does anyone own a Traeger pellet smoker? I want to try one but my wife doesn't want me having anymore smoking crap, plus they're expensive. I think Traeger is manufactured in Kansas, so hopefully, someone here had feedback.

Comment

Lastly, does anyone own a Traeger pellet smoker? I want to try one but my wife doesn't want me having anymore smoking crap, plus they're expensive. I think Traeger is manufactured in Kansas, so hopefully, someone here had feedback.
                                I think you have the Traeger name mixed up with Yoder. Yoder Smokers are the handmade units made in Kansas in the city of, well, guess.

Traegers are made overseas and are kind of the entry-level pellet smokers. I don't think the company has any connection to Kansas.

Yoders are pretty well respected by the competition smoker types, and are not cheap. I think their cheapest pellet is about $1200 IIRC, but it is easy enough to look up if you are curious. They are primarily sold by All Things BBQ (atbbq.com), which is a Wichita BBQ gear dealer owned by the same guy who owns Yoder Smokers. Both operations are well-oiled machines.

A unit like the above is more in the low $2K's.

Comment

Working...
                                X