No announcement yet.

Favorite Place for Ribs in Wichita?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youre right, Yoder. Traeger's are sold at Costco, Yoder is what Im thinking about. Cost, plus my wife putting a limit on my toys has kept me at bay. I really think I want one, though.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

So.... You think me buying this might lead to divorce?
      For gatherings of 50 or more and the versatility to handle briskets to hams. These vertical smokers are Made in America, with a 10 year warranty.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        So.... You think me buying this might lead to divorce?
        http://www.yodersmokers.com/durango20.html
        Aren't you into guns? What's a $2K smoker when you're a gun nut (not meant negatively)?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Pig In Pig Out's ribs are beef ribs, which are kind of non-typical. They're still awesome, just not what most think of in the context of "ribs." PIPO is definitely the best BBQ joint in town. They often run out of food though before closing, which is a huge downer when you get a jonesing for their grub and they hypothetically don't close for another 45 minutes.

For pork ribs, Redrock makes some darn tasty ones, although that restaurant is never going to come to mind when you are thinking BBQ.
          My wife just texted me and said she was taking me to dinner. Due to this thread I am in a BBQ ribs mood. Here is the rub (no pun intended). My wife is not a fan of BBQ at all. So my plan is going to Redrock, she will order the 32 seasoned ingredient chicken and I will take a bath in the ribs. Ok...it just hit me...why is she taking me to dinner. Something's up!!! Oh well, at least I get ribs. Cheers boys (and girls)!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            Aren't you into guns? What's a $2K smoker when you're a gun nut (not meant negatively)?
            Cause I have a ton of guns, plus I have a big smoker already. I think she would gladly allow me the big ass smoker if I got rid of a half a dozen guns. I can't have both. I really enjoy smoking ribs, but I really, really enjoy sex.

Comment

Cause I have a ton of guns, plus I have a big smoker already. I think she would gladly allow me the big ass smoker if I got rid of a half a dozen guns. I can't have both. I really enjoy smoking ribs, but I really, really enjoy sex.
              I say eat the cake all day long if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                OK. Not Wichita, but I'll mention anyway. It's been a number of years since I've been there, but there's this tavern in Williamsburg, just off I-35 southeast of Ottawa. Great ribs!!

If you're going by that way and have the time to stop, definitely worth it.
                I think it is actually Southwest of Ottawa. Exit 170 of I-35 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Correct. :stupid:

Comment

Youre right, Yoder. Traeger's are sold at Costco, Yoder is what Im thinking about. Cost, plus my wife putting a limit on my toys has kept me at bay. I really think I want one, though.
                    A family member won one of these at an auction. Simplicity is amazing.....I personally didn't care for the result, but I'm willing to blame the user, at least once.

I will add, if you're a fan of Alton Brown you may have seen the episode where he smokes a boston butt using a flower pot and a hotplate. I'm telling you, this method is effective and hugely underrated.
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; June 5, 2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Been there thrice, first 2 times just thought I was unlucky. Never again. Not saying they are bad, but I believe this place is hugely overrated. Admittedly, I blame the hype on mostly snobby ku fans that believe anything near Lawrence is the cat's ass (that's for you @MoValley John:).

If you want to go out of town for ribs, may I suggest a quick trip to Ponca City, Oklahoma. 1217 E Prospect to be exact.

Don't expect frills. But if they still do the all you can eat ribs on Friday.....well, bring a napkin. And the tums. You won't be disappointed.
                      Last edited by WuDrWu; June 5, 2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        I will add, if you're a fan of Alton Brown you may have seen the episode where he smokes a boston butt using a flower pot and a hotplate. I'm telling you, this method is effective and hugely underrated.
                        I've never seen Alton barbecue, but I did see him use a large terra cotta flower pot as a tandoor oven. The guy is amazing. I never cared for Cut Throat Kitchen, but I watched tons of Good Eats. I've made a bunch of his stuff.

Comment

Not that I'm bragging, but I'm just about to start removing the membranes from four racks of spare ribs. Reduced for quick sale at Sam's for $1.69 lb.

Get the molasses on, slather on my rub and in the fridge they go! They go on the smoker as soon as I get home from church tomorrow.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that Trapper's in Simpson, Kansas closed last summer.

http://www.kansassampler.org/8wonders/cuisineresults.php?id=181

My wife and I stumbled across Trapper's on a summer vacation to the Black Hills a few year's back. We had drove up to Beloit Friday after work to get a little head start. We asked the locals where a good place to eat was and they suggested Trapper's in Simpson about 5 or 6 mile SE of town. Just so happened that that was an all-you-can-eat smoked prime rib buffet! A very interesting culinary experience in a good way but I guess some things are just too far off the beaten path. But these hidden gems are fun when you find 'em. The prime rib was great so I am assuming the ribs probably were good to.

BTW, for those of you who like Exploring off the beaten path I would recommend a membership in Kansas Explorers. I think it is only $30 a year.

Comment

Here is the write-up on Guy's & Mae's:

I have never been to Guy's & Mae's and so far on Shockernet the reviews are mixed.

Comment

I am a little surprised that the Bunker Hill Café did not make the Kansas Sampler Foundation's list of * Wonders of Kansas Cuisine. Sure was good eating the time I went there.

Reservations are pretty much a must since there are only about 10 tables. No ribs though so I guess I am getting off-topic here.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 6, 2015, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X