• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
    I’m wondering how long before WSU passes the mild cats in enrollment
    Is it close? How close?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Is it close? How close?
      The numbers I pulled were older than I realized and not relevant.
      Last edited by SubGod22; August 5, 2022, 08:39 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• According to the KS BoR 2021 fall enrollment numbers for overall headcount:

KSU: 19,753 (down from 23,318 in 2016, a 15.3% decline)
        WSU: 16,097 (up from 14,474 in 2016, an 11.2% increase)

KSU, KSUVet, SalinaTech: 21,081
        WSU + WSUTech: 20,931

Other than Salina, I don't know which, if any, of the other tech colleges are directly affiliated with KSU

Full-time equivalency is more in KSU's favor, as you might expect with WSU being a metro university and more part-time students:

KSU 16,057 (down from 19,477 in 2016, down 17.6%)
        WSU at 11,288 (up slightly from 11,060 in 2016)

KSU, KSUVet, SalinaTech: 17,297
        WSU, WSUTech: 14,011

Comment

• In looking up those numbers I also found this enrollment report: https://www.kansasregents.org/resour...2021_Final.pdf

The college readiness by Kansas high school graduates between 2013 and 2020 is concerning.

Comment

• KSN - WSU NIAR students getting hands-on experience with new Apache Twin Program

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — The new Apache Twin Program at Wichita State University’s (WSU) National Institute for Aviation Research (NIAR) is giving students hands-on experience by turning an AH-64 Apache helicopter into a 3-D model.

“I’m learning things here that I would never be able to learn from a textbook or in a classroom,” said Student Lead Nicholas Inzerillo.

The program was announced on Friday, July 29.

“We are taking a legacy apache helicopter and converting it from two-dimensional data to three-dimensional data in an effort to modernize sustainment for the army,” said Melinda Laubach-Hock, the director of Sustainment for NIAR.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I really love all the cool stuff that NIAR is doing. They are an asset to the university and the community.
              Go Shocks!

Comment

• NIAR is a massive asset to WSU, Wichita, the region and the country.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - A NEW BRAND FOR WSU: Opening of Woolsey Hall has students and faculty rarin' to go

Wayne and Kay Woolsey Hall opens its doors this month for the fall semester, and after several years of anticipation, it's bringing a wave of enthusiasm for students and faculty.

“From a recruiting standpoint, a new business building changes everything," said Duane Nagel, department chair and associate professor of marketing at the Barton School. "The energy that building creates is really going to put the Barton School on a different path.”

Nagel said technology upgrades, new classrooms suited well for learning and collaboration and conference rooms are among the stand-out features.

And then there's the "wow" factor of the atrium as a person walks into Woolsey Hall.

Filled with natural light, large windows and open spaces, it includes a cafe, a "social stair" for gathering, a large LED screen and other high-tech and WSU branding touches. A look up reveals multiple levels of business school activity.

"It makes you feel the entire building all at once," he said. "I had chills when I walked in and saw it.”

While WSU saw fall 2021 enrollment (16,097 students) hit levels not seen since 1990, many universities have struggled to bring in students as the Covid-19 pandemic shook up higher education.

According to the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, as of last spring, post-secondary institutions lost nearly 1.3 million students over two years.

That means schools are trying to step up their game with facilities and recruiting.

"Universities are getting much more competitive," said Nagel, who said Woolsey Hall is a positive conversation starter when reaching students who left school during the pandemic and haven't returned.

Tucker, who attended Tulsa's Epic Charter Schools, said she had plenty of schools — including the University of Tulsa, Oklahoma State University and the University of Colorado — showing interest.

Gift packages ranging from the elaborate to the unique (including a full-sized cowbell) came to her door.

But she said those could not top what she felt when hearing about WSU's Woolsey Hall.

"It just felt amazing going to a school willing to invest that much in its students," she said.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I don’t know what’s more strange, the thought of 16,000 students being on that campus in 1990 or wondering what’s going to happen to the old campus. I mean, what is the old part even used for these days, a museum? Lol

Comment

• Computer Science is gaining an extra 900-1000 Grad Students (mostly international) at the 11th hour which is causing a monumental faculty and staff shortage. Can any of you teach machine learning or object oriented programming?

You heard this first on Shockernet.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                        I don’t know what’s more strange, the thought of 16,000 students being on that campus in 1990 or wondering what’s going to happen to the old campus. I mean, what is the old part even used for these days, a museum? Lol
                        There’s plenty still going on in the “Section Eight” buildings the rest of us are in. Most of the east side of the campus except for the Business College and Criminal Justice and a few labs and offices is industry based.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                          In looking up those numbers I also found this enrollment report: https://www.kansasregents.org/resour...2021_Final.pdf

The college readiness by Kansas high school graduates between 2013 and 2020 is concerning.
                          Good find, Royal. Tons of interesting information.

Comment

• 16,000 students on that campus in 1990 had to been some what of a nightmare. I think they had 11,000 when I was there 14 years ago and the facilities they had then seemed adequate. In 1990 they had less buildings to cram all those students in and the newest buildings they had were 30 years old. Lol. Couldn’t of been a pretty sight

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              Computer Science is gaining an extra 900-1000 Grad Students (mostly international) at the 11th hour which is causing a monumental faculty and staff shortage. Can any of you teach machine learning or object oriented programming?

My brother retired back to Wichita and speaks GEEK/Computer and is a CPM but he doesn't speak Farsi

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                                Computer Science is gaining an extra 900-1000 Grad Students (mostly international) at the 11th hour which is causing a monumental faculty and staff shortage. Can any of you teach machine learning or object oriented programming?

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X